Southport

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Southport

Post by Isaac »

Southport wasn't very nice, it reminded me a bit of Grimsby, very flat but without the smell of fish.

Anyway, it was a decent performance, on balance we created slightly more chances I think and definitely had more of the ball but overall we weren't as good as on Saturday. At times we produced some excellent football, the goal being the best example, but the pitch wasn't as good and Southport were better than Stevenage on the day.

Defensively we looked suspect when Gilchrist went off, Day and Corcoran got caught out of position quite regularly and I hope we don't have to rely on those two alone very often. Day injured as well and I reckon Quinn was carrying an injury, I hope we're not having another injury crisis.

Again it was the midfield where I thought we won the game, Rose, Foster and Anaclet were outstanding. Supporting the front 2 from central midfield is clearly the best position for Rose, I've never been that impressed with him before but the last two games he has been a class above the rest.

I'm wary of starting the Duffy debate again, but he's proved in the last few games that his contribution is not just standing around waiting for a penalty. He set up Anaclet on Saturday for the goal and Rose for his yesterday with a very good knockdown. He also won his own penalty after rounding the keeper. How the referee decided that Duffy being brought down 2 yards from an open goal wasn't a professional foul is beyond my comprehension, I'd love to know how he thinks that completing the difficult task of sidefooting the ball into the goal isn't a clear goalscoring opportunity. The ref had a pretty decent game apart from that too, but bottling the big decisions is not a good trait for a referee. I bet he's relieved it stayed 1-0. The keeper did well with the penalty too, Duffy tends to run up to the ball while watching the keeper and then sidefoots it the other way, but the keeper threw him a dummy.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

So, how about a match report for Rage Online, Isaac?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotboris&quot wrote:So, how about a match report for Rage Online, Isaac?
Alright Boris, I'll attempt to hack one together today at some point.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Isn't it in the nature of &quothack&quot that things are separated rather than put together?
entirely disenchanted
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Boris, I have hacked a report to pieces, where should I send it?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The options are, quite unliterally, endless.

You could either forward it on here as a PM, send it via the 'contact' form on the Rage Online website, send it to me on email to either martin@rageonline.co.uk or rageon@ntlworld.com, engrave it onto tablets of stone and have them delivered to my house by an Aasvogel lorry, fax it, hire a plane and get it to spell out the report in the sky using that airwriting stuff, shout it really loudly and hope that I hear, or buy a couple of flags from the Oxkits site and use them to semaphore it to me.

Email might be best, though.
Last edited by boris on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:The options are, quite unliterally, endless.

You could either forward it on here as a PM, send it via the 'contact' form on the Rage Online website, send it to me on email to either martin@rageonline.co.uk or rageon@ntlworld.com, engrave it onto tablets of stone and have them delivered to my house by an Aasvogel lorry, fax it, hire a plane and get it to spell out the report in the sky using that airwriting stuff, shout it really loudly and hope that I hear, or buy a couple of flags from the Oxkits site and use them to semaphore it to me.

Email might be best, though.
You forgot smoke signals.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Now you're just being silly, GY :wink:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Southport not very nice ? Like Grimsby ? You can’t have had much of a look round, Isaac.
We were very impressed. For a start it was clean. The pubs we visited, Cheshire Lines, Guest House &amp the Barons Bar in the impressive Scarisbrick Hotel are all well worth going back to. IMHO it would be quite a good place for a weekend away – Grimsby (Cleethorpes) wouldn’t.

As for the match – in the first half I though we resembled the team that went 3 months without a win. Our only decent passing seemed to be in our own half. Southport didn’t look very good either but played some long ball that their forwards were able to get on the end of. Thankfully whenever it looked as though we might get caught out for pace the oppositon took so long to control the ball and get the move flowing our defenders were able to catch up and get organised, if not always totally convincingly. We got away with some panic – Day’s wild slash over his own bar. Second half we took control and played some good stuff. If the penalty had gone in we would have walked it.

Duffy – agree we don’t want to start a full scale debate again – but I thought he was quite poor yesterday. Given my previous comments he let me down by not scoring. As well as the penalty he had another chance he should have buried. But yes he did win the header to make the goal and there was one instance when he ran back to his own half to get a tackle in. And if he had not been fouled his goal would have looked pretty good.

Burgess – a couple of moments of class. Loath to critisise him too, given my previous comments but he does not seem to have any spring in his step. Wasn’t he out with a “virus
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:Boris, I have hacked a report to pieces, where should I send it?
j'attend encore, monsieur...
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

bof!
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

I'd say &quotwrite it out a hundred times&quot but cut-and-paste has made that particularly futile as a tool either of learning or of punishment.
Last edited by Pe├▒a Oxford United on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Oh I dunno - a nice bit of RSI should teach me never to do that again.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Hopefully you should have the report now Boris, apologies, I was having email problems and then I was confused by your french.