Duffy

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Duffy

Post by Radley Rambler »

Does anyone still think he isn't worth a starting place?????

Good header = goal = 3 points - very simple.

Our last 20-goal-a -season man (Jemson) was 'lazy' as well wasn't he?

Robinson's contribution in attack was laughable by comparison
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

fine header.

Won some ball in the air today.

For me he lacks anticipation in open play. On his heels, unready to react when the ball comes his way in open play.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Duffy

Post by Snake »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Does anyone still think he isn't worth a starting place?????

Good header = goal = 3 points - very simple.

Our last 20-goal-a -season man (Jemson) was 'lazy' as well wasn't he?

Robinson's contribution in attack was laughable by comparison
Another comparison might be G&ampN’s McDonald. He’s scored a similar number of Conference goals but was all over the final third today and really contributing to a reasonably lively attack.

But anyway, congratulations to Rob on the first 20 goals a season haul for United since that other lazy git did it 10 years ago, and here’s hoping he’ll make it to 30 by the play-off Final. And to be even fairer, given that we only had one shot on target today that must mean that the other 9 outfield players are not exactly pushing him for his place.

Having said all that, I’d still like to bench him for the first half and use him like we used to do with Yemi earlier in the season and use his limited energies for the second half only. Maybe that will happen when Bash gets back into the action next month..
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Duffy had balls knocked way over his head early on. No chance of winning them yet plenty in the crowd start having a go. When he recieved decent high balls he won most of them. He scored a great goal and when he set Yemi up in the first half after some good control and a sweeping ball to the right he proved he is more than just a goal hanger. He took quite a bit of battering (2nd yellow = red) and it should also be remembered that he wasn't that well but still wanted to play today. Drop him to the bench. I've heard some bollocks talked by football fans and that is right up there with them. Right who shall we bring in. Billy Hamilton? John Aldridge? Peter Foley? Tommy Mooney? Paul Moody? Nigel Jemson? Hugh Curran? No wait a minute we've got Marv &amp Grebis .... er what happened to the Latvian? What's that annoying saying ... no brainer.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

And unlike Jemmo he won't spend half the game slagging off his fellow teamates, the officials, the crowd, the management and Uncle Tom Cobley.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Good goal by Duffy, but I am bound to say his contribution for the rest of the game was minimal and given the extensive debates on this of late, I made sure I watched closely.

As a team player, Yemi outplayed Duffy by a distance. Shame he didn't have the confidence to shoot a bit earlier on the end of those runs.

Sure Robinson was once again a waste of space and doesn't deserve a reserve team place let alone a first team place.

My view is however unchanged on Duffy, he starts because he's the best of a poor bunch as target man, not because he's a particularly good footballer. He made a mess of several similar headers earlier in the game which each went wildly wrong and his knock downs again were poor even to team mates just 5 yards away. He gives the ball away much too much.

What a relief to get the win at last. Just a shame Burton couldn't put the mockers on Daggers.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:As a team player, Yemi outplayed Duffy by a distance. Shame he didn't have the confidence to shoot a bit earlier on the end of those runs.
interesting to see what he did at the end of those runs - twice he crossed when there was no-one at the back post, and got bawled out by the crowd. so the third time he shot - with two yellow shirts at the far post, and a midfielder coming in on the centre of goal.

it's almost like jim smith knew what he's talking about when he questioned his decision-making...

still, he made those attacks happen, so hopefully this is something he can work on with the coaching staff.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:As a team player, Yemi outplayed Duffy by a distance. Shame he didn't have the confidence to shoot a bit earlier on the end of those runs.
interesting to see what he did at the end of those runs - twice he crossed when there was no-one at the back post, and got bawled out by the crowd. so the third time he shot - with two yellow shirts at the far post, and a midfielder coming in on the centre of goal.

it's almost like jim smith knew what he's talking about when he questioned his decision-making...

still, he made those attacks happen, so hopefully this is something he can work on with the coaching staff.
I noticed this too. On at least two occassions he had a clear shot at goal, albeit from an angle and he chose to cross. On two other occassions he continued running and got bundled off the ball (one of which may or may not have been a penalty) rather than shoot slightly earlier with only the keeper to beat. And as you say Matt, on at least one other occassion he shot when there were others in better positions. I suppose these factors are why he plays at this level, because otherwise his really quite astonishing pace would be more than enuogh for anyone outside the Championship.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Jim is far demonstrative in his frustration at Yemi bad decisions than the rest of the team together.

Everytime something goes even slightly wrong about when connected with Yemi he throws his arms around and rants.

It is clearly noticeablehe does more ranting at Yemi than any other player.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Good goal by Duffy, but I am bound to say his contribution for the rest of the game was minimal and given the extensive debates on this of late, I made sure I watched closely.
Well I watched him closely too and I disagree with your conclusion.
I'll repeat - when he had decent balls played to him in the air he won most of them. His pass to set Yemi up was quality stuff. And he was not feeling 100%. I would hardly call that minimal contribution.

Duffy and Yemi are different types of player. It is like comparing chalk with cheese. I really rate Yemi but thought he had a poor first half. There were times when he lost the ball and not a murmer. But if it had been Duffy there would have been tut tutting all round. But all credit to Yemi, he stuck at it and by the end of the game had their back line very worried. When his decision making gets better he could be awesome at this level.
Mark G
Puberty

Re:

Post by Mark G »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Good goal by Duffy, but I am bound to say his contribution for the rest of the game was minimal and given the extensive debates on this of late, I made sure I watched closely.
Well I watched him closely too and I disagree with your conclusion.
I'll repeat - when he had decent balls played to him in the air he won most of them. His pass to set Yemi up was quality stuff. And he was not feeling 100%. I would hardly call that minimal contribution.

Duffy and Yemi are different types of player. It is like comparing chalk with cheese. I really rate Yemi but thought he had a poor first half. There were times when he lost the ball and not a murmer. But if it had been Duffy there would have been tut tutting all round. But all credit to Yemi, he stuck at it and by the end of the game had their back line very worried. When his decision making gets better he could be awesome at this level.
Agree with your Baboo. It helped today that the other players actually passed the ball to Duffy's feet rather than always being head height or higher.

Duffy also put in some useful defensive headers today, coupled with some good flick-ons to for Yemi and Anaclet.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Was it just me or did Duffy sound very down for a bloke who had just scored his 20th goal of the season? Perhaps he still wasn't feeling too well?He is obviously very aware of the negative feelings towards him from a vociferous minority but at least he had the bottle to put himself up for selection.

Changing the subject to Rose: did you see the way he celebrated the goal and then the win? Absolutely delighted doesn't do it justice! I've noticed it previously (especially when he scored) and his commitment to his temporary team 4 divisions below the level he would hope to be playing (eventually) does him great credit.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Changing the subject to Rose: did you see the way he celebrated the goal and then the win? Absolutely delighted doesn't do it justice! I've noticed it previously (especially when he scored) and his commitment to his temporary team 4 divisions below the level he would hope to be playing (eventually) does him great credit.
I noticed this and it was great to see him jumping on Gilly's back at the full time whistle like we'd just one the cup. Great to see this kind of commitment and I think it puts those who said loan players don't try as hard as they could to shame.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote:Changing the subject to Rose: did you see the way he celebrated the goal and then the win? Absolutely delighted doesn't do it justice! I've noticed it previously (especially when he scored) and his commitment to his temporary team 4 divisions below the level he would hope to be playing (eventually) does him great credit.
I noticed this and it was great to see him jumping on Gilly's back at the full time whistle like we'd just one the cup. Great to see this kind of commitment and I think it puts those who said loan players don't try as hard as they could to shame.
I’m not sure anyone said that – in fact I think it’s the opposite as they are usually going out on loan to either get stuck into some first team action that they can’t get at their home clubs or are being farmed out as a sort of ‘last chance saloon’ on their professional careers - so they will usually try harder than they would do with a nice cosy two year contract.

Rose is a star, but the problem I see with loan players is that if they do sparkle then inevitably they will go back to their home club and we have to start all over again in trying to get some long term commitment and stability in the team.

Incidentally, no one ever won anything with loan players.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Wasn't aimed at anyone directly (or even on here), but i've heard a few people moaning about Jim's descisons to bring in too many loan players who won't show any commitment.

Really hope Rose is enjoying his time he and might want to continue it next season (might depend on what league we're in though) as I think he'd easily fit into our &quotleague 2 team&quot as well.