Fylde under big week

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Fylde under big week

Post by Isaac »

My 3rd in person game of the season, decent weather for Blackpool given it was the middle of Feb and I am always bewildered by Blackpool, it's such a strange place - feels like a big city of run-down small shops and b&b's. Football wise, a more promising performance against a side you'd expect (and are) challenging for the play-offs. The pitch was not great which limited the game somewhat, making it more direct than either team would like. Very uneven surface meaning the time taken to get the ball under control often slowed things down, or made it preferable to just lump the ball forward.

Blackpool had more of the game really, particularly 2nd half, but in a game of maybe 7 chances, we had 4 of them and 2 of those we really should have scored. In the end a draw felt about right. Undoubtedly the most encouraging thing for me was that in the 2nd half Blackpool were on top and it was starting to feel somewhat inevitable that they'd create chances and score but Buckingham was able to change the game in a positive way. Firstly by bringing on Goodwin, who is a big unit but mobile - something we've not had at the club for years and he made a difference by being awkward and allowing us to get out of our half. Then Matete came on who offered something else we've not had for a few years - a bit of aggression, speed and the ability to win the ball in midfield more often, which meant we started being able to attack again. I sense they'll want to get him playing gradually, but if we could get Matete on the pitch a lot over the last 15 games the play-offs and promotion are not out of reach. I'd have him instead of either McGuane or Rodrigues, who have both dipped in form (possibly tired, but either way). Brannagan also needs stop shooting every time he has the ball within 30 yards of the goal. Some additional options in midfield have been long overdue.

Listened to wasn't at the game afterwards and there was some discussion about how the fans and the team connected much better, which wasn't my perception. I was surprised by how much negativity and anger there was in the away end - plus half the crowd disappeared before the players came over for the traditional post-game love in. Possibly I was more sensitive to it because I was watching with my children, but there was a sense of entitlement I thought to some comments (criticism of Goodwin after 2 minutes of coming on, "we deserve better than this" mid way through the 2nd half, or "absolute sh1t, Oxford" comments at the end of the game). It's a strange phenomenon, I wonder if it's because of the top 30 club chat, or the good start to the season but a lot of the fans don't seem to actually enjoying any part of the game or experience.

Anyway, the next 4 games seem very important, all against mid-table teams (Orient might have an outside chance of the play-offs) and given our injury crisis has improved, it should tell us where the team will end up this season. 7/8 points and I'd be optimistic of the play-offs.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Fylde under big week

Post by slappy »

As usual, Avanti West Coast were conspiring to make this an awkward weekend of travel.
The 10:30 from Euston to Glasgow had already been cancelled, so the 9:30 we were on was extra busy, and was only nine carriages instead of 11. Pompey fans were also on this train to Carlisle.

So about 2/3 of the way to Preston, trainline was showing the train was being cancelled at Preston. About 30 minutes later, the train guard finally told the passengers this good news, and that this train would then wait for an hour and become the cancelled 10:30. I think Pompey were able to get a different train and still get to the pub and match. The trains back were showing four of the last six from Preston to Euston were cancelled, with just the third last and last train running.

At Blackpool, I found a nice craft and real ale bar, "cask and tap". Blackpool really is a mix of run-down and boarded up B&Bs but lots of new development going on. My favourites are the B&Bs that promise "colour tv, central heating, en-suite bathroom, hot and cold running water".

As for the match, I missed our goal going for a pie after the early Blackpool goal. The pinball goal mouth scramble should have had someone able to nudge the ball in. Cummings didn't have a lot to do with a few easy collections of weak shots straight at him. Bodin's missed header from about six yards looked worse on the replays. Moore did well, and we finally have some options on the bench. Still I'll take a 1-1 away at a strong side.

Good to see O'Donkor score in his first Barnet game, though it was in the trophy. Apparently we can recall after 28 days, but I think DB wants him to get more game time first?

Train home we just went in first class rather than try and find our reserved seats. Good mix of Pompey fans back from Carlisle (1-0 win), two Sutton players and the physio who didn't want to go back to the club and then travel back into London again to go North / East home. They lost 1-0 to Morecambe. Also some Sutton fans and Crawley fans on their way back from Crewe (1-0 loss).

We finally arrived back at Euston 35 minutes late, so hopefully another delay-repay.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re: Fylde under big week

Post by Isaac »

ifollow for me against Wigan. The 1st half was very poor, Dale and Long down the right hand side looked like they'd never met, let alone done any training together. Fair play to Long though, he recovered reasonably well in the 2nd half. I dread to think about the amount of booing there'd have been if Murphy hadn't scored before half time. Goodrham has moments where he looks a class above anyone else, we'll be doing well to keep him next season.
I really like McGuane too, but he drives me up the wall sometimes. 3 times in the last 2 matches he's had the ball in the penalty area, in front of goal and he manages to pass it sideways (the Harris chance against Blackpool), or backwards (twice against Wigan, although one was technically an assist, even though he wasn't trying to pass it to Brannagan). He doesn't seem to realise that in the penalty area, the opposition will stand off a little bit, for fear of conceding a penalty.