Grecian ten thousand (and twenty two)

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Grecian ten thousand (and twenty two)

Post by Kernow Yellow »

My first home game of the season. Great result, and we largely controlled the game without having that much of the ball, but the scoreline definitely flattered Us. As the second half wore on Exeter were camped nearer and nearer our goal, and although they had no really good chances, I wouldn't have been surprised to see us concede at least once at that point. The two late penalties ultimately made everything seem much more comfortable than I had felt for much of the game.

The award of the first spot kick looked very soft from the East Stand - indeed everyone around me was looking at each other open-mouthed laughing, hoping the ref didn't look up and see us! However on the side-on replay you can see why it was given. The second looked nailed on from behind the goal, but much less clear-cut on the replay. So I guess it's all about angle of view, and the ref probably got both right and was well-placed to do so.

PS there's a nice article about Exeter in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... arabao-cup

I'm genuinely full of admiration (and a little jealous) of what they've achieved and how they've turned the club around. It might be less likely to result in further promotions than our foreign billionaire-owned model, but I'd swap places with them in a heartbeat.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Grecian ten thousand (and twenty two)

Post by slappy »

Colin's analysis in the fans view on the main RageOnline page says the supporters trust has nearly £1M in the bank, which seems an extraordinary amount of money to have saved up.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

slappy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:28 pm Colin's analysis in the fans view on the main RageOnline page says the supporters trust has nearly £1M in the bank, which seems an extraordinary amount of money to have saved up.
But equally is a drop in the ocean if the Trust ever wanted to have a meaningful involvement in the running of the club. I sincerely hope they keep raising funds for a rainy day.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:00 pm
slappy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:28 pm Colin's analysis in the fans view on the main RageOnline page says the supporters trust has nearly £1M in the bank, which seems an extraordinary amount of money to have saved up.
But equally is a drop in the ocean if the Trust ever wanted to have a meaningful involvement in the running of the club. I sincerely hope they keep raising funds for a rainy day.
Er, they do run the club! That's kind of the point of the Guardian article (and the fan's view analysis).
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Sorry, crossed wires - I thought it was a reference to what OUR supporters' trust has in the bank!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

TBH even when Exeter were dominating possession for much of the second half, I very rarely felt twitchy. Maybe I was being naïve, but how few shots did our defence actually even let get through to Beadle? What I am finding difficult is getting used to the idea that we really are a very good team in attack and defence. There will certainly be bad days to come, but overall this season so far has been revelatory.

I sit just across from the RadOx commentators and (I assume) the journos, so how most of them got the reason for the first penalty wrong (reading around various reports) I could not believe. From that angle it was obvious there had been a pull-back. Although we could not see the second one clearly it was noticeable, indeed with both penalties, that more Exeter players had heads in hands than were looking to argue over the decisions.

Heady days indeed.