Heroes

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Heroes

Post by OtmoorYellow »

All football clubs rely on having a hero or two, that have a strong bond with the fans. A player that we would all pay good money just to see. The likes of Briggsy, Aldridge (either one!), Beano, Joey. The star that shone above the rest.

Arguably, Matty Taylor was that player for OUFC in recent seasons. Maybe it will become GO'D, but I'm very unconvinced he is quite the player, or will even become the player, that we all hope for.

With so many squad changes over the last few seasons, does OUFC even have such heroes anymore? I don't feel much affinity to the players as I used to. In fact I have to concentrate hard to even recognise (name) some of the players, such has been the turnover.

Even my adoration of the club has a few hairline cracks nowadays.

As a long term fan, I feel hard done by. Poorly treated by the club. Huge hikes in the cost of my ST. Sizeable reductions in the benefit of my ST. It feels like I'm no longer an involved member of a club, but more a sales and marketing statistic.

I wonder if others have a similar impression.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Heroes

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 pm With so many squad changes over the last few seasons, does OUFC even have such heroes anymore?
I'd suggest that Cameron Branagan is a worthy contender. He's done wonderfully for us since he came, has a talismanic presence on the pitch, turned down a move to a club higher up the leagues because he wanted to stay with Us, and he's also the one Oxford player that both of my kids could name and admire, despite them living in Wales and holding no great affinity for OUFC.

Taylor going is sad, but I'd fully expect him to be back within a few years on the coaching side. What is it they say? Don't be sad it's over, be glad it happened. Those two seasons after he rejoined and was on fire were wonderful.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Heroes

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 pm With so many squad changes over the last few seasons, does OUFC even have such heroes anymore?
I'd suggest that Cameron Branagan is a worthy contender. He's done wonderfully for us since he came, has a talismanic presence on the pitch, turned down a move to a club higher up the leagues because he wanted to stay with Us, and he's also the one Oxford player that both of my kids could name and admire, despite them living in Wales and holding no great affinity for OUFC.

Taylor going is sad, but I'd fully expect him to be back within a few years on the coaching side. What is it they say? Don't be sad it's over, be glad it happened. Those two seasons after he rejoined and was on fire were wonderful.
Maybe.

I think CamBran is too inconsistent. Its not like clubs were clamouring for his signature. Only Blackpool got a bee in their bonnet about him a year or more ago. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player, but I'm not sure he has that je ne sais qoui, that bit extra. When I buy my season ticket or match tickets, there isn't a heightened desire to see CamBran, or indeed any of the individuals presently at the club. Its purely to see the team, possibly with an element of habit.

Clubs need heroes.