Trouble Brewing

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Trouble Brewing

Post by Dr Bob »

Well, it as either that or "Gone for a Cliche"...

That was one of the most pitiful, clueless and inept performances I have seen in a long time - well, at least since the home games against Burton, Morecambe and MK earlier in the season. Yet this somehow felt worse, against a team that had shipped 9 goals in their previous two games.

We had good chances early on that were saved or blocked. The keeper and defenders celebrated those like they had scored. But that spirit also showed in how a team in the relegation zone could run rings around us. Pass and move, pass and move. They did not create much for the first 40 minutes, but they dominated the midfield, so the threat was always there.

As for us, Joseph was getting nothing out of his defender, but he and Bodin did not swap sides until nearly half-time. Their number 5 totally dominated Matty (and later GO'D), so our tactic was...keep hiking high balls to him. Just before half time they had a free kick. We put up a 4-man wall, including Moore. The kick came in, one of their players (number 5?) had a free header, that fortunately went just wide. Time and again, we just headed or hoofed the ball clear without a sense of building something. We won so few second balls. I think we might have won two headers all game from Brown's throws.

The most positive I could be was Yanic showing some good touches, TG battling well. But these do not make a winning side. Looking around the pitch I wondered who I would name as my MoTM. In the end I went with nobody. Oh and that was my first sighting Fleming. Not impressed, least of all by his air-shot prior to their second. But was he that much worse than everyone else...?

Reading through the thread on The Other Place, it seems there is trouble at t'mill. No idea what exactly, nor if any imminent decision over KR will be taken as a result. But it feels to me increasingly like we have gone full circle with KR. Those players should not be putting in performances like that one.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re: Trouble Brewing

Post by Isaac »

It was really bad - similar to Fleetwood away, but with our short good patch happening at the start rather than the end.

We're a bit stuck regarding the manager. I think it would be better for him and us if he left before the supporters fully turn on him, if they haven't already. He's been a good manager for us over the last 5 years and it would be a shame for him to be hounded out. The difficulty is the squad needs reinforcements and there's only 2 days left of the transfer window. Either the club recruits players the next manager might not want, or we stick with him, make a couple of big-ish signings to lift the mood and hope things get better rather than go really toxic. It's unlikely we'll end up relegated, but given the last few performances, it's not impossible by any means.

Assuming Robinson does go, if not now, then at the end of the season, the next manager recruitment is going to be interesting. Most of this squad have contracts for next season, so the opportunity for an immediate big rebuild isn't there. Also, assuming the club is still operating the same model, buy cheap, develop and sell the manager needs to be on-board with that. For all the fair criticism of Robinson failing to build a balanced squad, it's not often mentioned that he regularly has to sell his best players at the same time (off the top of my head ... Ledson, Fosu, Baptiste, Dickie, Whyte, McNally, Atkinson).
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Agree with all of that, Isaac, except for this bit:
Isaac wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 am For all the fair criticism of Robinson failing to build a balanced squad, it's not often mentioned that he regularly has to sell his best players at the same time (off the top of my head ... Ledson, Fosu, Baptiste, Dickie, Whyte, McNally, Atkinson).
Any manager of a Third Division team will have to be adept at bigger clubs wanting to sign their players - the only alternative is that they don't have any players good enough for bigger clubs to want, which is worse! KR has generally played a blinder here - every time we've lost a good centre-half, he's either signed someone just as good or he's already been bringing someone through the ranks to be ready for that scenario. Sadly, the pipeline seems to have dried up in the last 12months or so, but maybe some of the young 'for the future' signings we made early on in the window will pay dividends in time.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

From a brief look, I don't think Wycombe sell many players. A few leave upwards on free transfers, but they appear to have success with more of an experienced pro squad. Which is something we moved more towards this season...
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Just to contradict myself - it seems Wycombe do occasionally sell a player....
https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/foot ... ay-4007381