Puberty

A valiant effort

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Are we finally turning the corner?
grandpont tom
Brat

Re: A valiant effort

Post by grandpont tom »

It was a good win and it seems that there is a decent spirit within the squad. But I would say that the score line flattered us. We got the 50/50 decisions from the ref and they perhaps should have equalised at 1-0. So although the negativity generated by the Fleetwood and Shrewsbury performances has diminished a wee bit - and I think that we are getting better but a long way off being a top team in this division
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It feels like we're about where we belong in the league now. Anderson was the most interesting performance, he added something significant that we've missed this season - defenders carrying the ball forward, but gave me the heeby-jeebies defensively. We look a better team with Henry in it too, not quick but he creates space.

The hope, as ever I suppose, is that if we stay in touch with the top 6, we can have a significantly better January transfer window and push on from there. Wildly optimistic I suspect, given we are unlikely to have much financial leeway on wages unless some of the highly paid, injured players get insurance pay-offs or paid off. Or the board ponies up a load of extra money.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I hadn't realised until after the game but those were Mattie Taylor's first goals of the season.
Also nice to see us win whilst Brannagan was suspended.
With all the negativity floating around the last few weeks, it was quite a boost to get a win with a decent scoreline and into the top half of the table. Nine points clear of MK Dons in the last relegation spot (six if they win their game in hand), and five points short of the play-offs. 15 short of the automatic places is probably far too much to ask.

A "home" game next for me vs Woking who are on a four match winning streak.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

The excellent finger-tip save from Easty at 1-0 and some wayward efforts from Vale ensured we did not lose our momentum, but it is easy to forget some of their recent games from that performance, including a win at Derby and a draw at Wycombe, with two goals scored by them in each game. But even if that was an off day for them, we had to work for the clean sheet and for our goals. With no game lost by more than one goal and no more than two goals conceded in any game all (league) season, our results have mostly been frustrating rather than shocking. And as always, it is easier to judge harshly when we have just a few games to go on (a marathon not a sprint and all that).

Whether this is a major turning point, therefore, or a particularly good day at the office as part of a more gradual shift in the trend of results, only time will tell. But it was great to see Matty and BB score. It was also good to see us driving forward more, partly thanks to Anderson. TBH I was worried when I saw that he was at right back and Bate was on the right of midfield, but I thought that was perhaps Bate's best game that I have seen at least. I was very impressed how Anderson, he and Henry worked on the right - with one of them covering if Anderson went on the rampage.

I also thought that on the whole, the ref was very good. The most obvious example that comes to mind was when one of their players attempted to remove Bodin's shirt, before claiming a foul after Bodin had broken free, and from which his cross led to Matty's first goal - for which the replay shows him onside as the ball is played in. In too many games nowadays, and I have no idea what has caused this shift, players are going down ridiculously easily looking for free kicks. The real problem, of course, is that most of the time they get them.
grandpont tom
Brat

Post by grandpont tom »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:47 am Are we finally turning the corner?
Er…No