What happens now?!?

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

What happens now?!?

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I wasn't there yesterday, and it sounds like a peculiar game given the lengthy mid-match delay (and obviously we all hope the fan who was taken ill improves). No getting away from the fact that it was a poor result, and it sounded from what I heard and read as though things got pretty toxic during and after the match towards KR. Is he now at the end of the line? Will the new owners want to install their own man and herald a fresh start?

I'm not close enough to it all to be able to judge, but it certainly feels as though maybe KR has taken the team as far as he can and everyone might benefit from a fresh approach. If the Board feel otherwise, then they might do well to come out and say so.

Any views? Can anyone who was there yesterday set out whether we really were that bad?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: What happens now?!?

Post by Dr Bob »

TBH I thought we were very poor. When I was listening to the post-match interviews, I could not help thinking that from time to time, a student will complain to me about a coursework mark, telling me how hard they had worked. This rather misses the point that the mark is for the output. Effort put in is not an assessment criterion. The fact that we appeared to have come out on top of all key stats other than the one that matters merely reinforces the message about the lack of effective play. The penalty was at a good height for any keeper who went the right way, and the keeper's save from Henry's follow-up was outstanding. After that, how much was he really tested? When it comes to trying to carve out clear opportunities, against any well-organised team we struggle.

I have to say that I did not think WW resorted to anything like the worst of their dreadful anti-football (see last year's 0-0 here). One reason it frustrated me in the past was that they really never needed to, and this game showed us up for what we are currently, when is a very ineffective and uncompetitive team.

Yes we know that we have always started slowly under KR, but the reason we did not make the play-offs last year was that, unlike previous seasons, our form fell away in the last 10 or so games of the season. That had not happened previously under KR and it is on top of that that this season has now started poorly...but this time around mostly against teams who are down with us at the foot of the table. We now have a horrible run of games in October, so by November we could really be deep in doo-dah.

Will that mean they give KR into December to improve things? I still think that they will give him more time. I cannot us getting many points in October, nor would I be confident KR could turn it around even with easier opposition. My best guess - he pulls off a miracle turnaround or he will be gone by Christmas, given someone new the January window.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

The medical incident happened about 6 or 7 rows directly in front of me. I have to say the response was rapid and professional and the 20 minutes of hardcore CPR and defibrillator undoubtedly saved the gentleman’s life. Let’s hope he recovers.

The match, from a U’s perspective, followed the same course as many of our performances this season. With the ball we have pedestrian play from 2 centre backs plus a choice of 1 wing back or 1 deep midfielder, trying to pass around an advancing opposition in order to somehow get the ball to a straight front line of 5 or 6 not very tall attackers all trying to play off the shoulder of huge defenders. Our midfield with this set up is all but non-existent, and it is no wonder we have difficulty in creating clear cut chances. Only wonder passes forwards, or the occasional inter passing down the wings result in us getting within spitting distance of the opponents penalty area, which becomes congested very quickly. Then we are left open to fast counter attacks by opposition midfielders who largely have no one to challenge their progress. It’s a bizarre set up that relies heavily on long periods of possession retention. There is no proper structure to the team.

I think it is correct to say that we have scored fewer goals than any other side in the division, and it isn’t surprising.

KR always has an excuse up his sleeve, but the excuses are undoubtedly tired and over used. The same tactics and same failures every week. This is not the same way we have played in the last 3 seasons. How long can the owners realistically allow repeated mistakes with no attempt to adapt.

We have a side which includes several recently recognised as Championship standard players - Browne, McGuane, Bodin, Eastwood, Taylor, Branagan, Bate, Joseph to name a few, who are fit and are in the team each week. Injuries cannot be used as an excuse with a team primarily of such high standard players, interspersed with well established League One players.

The ice is thinning rapidly and beginning to crack. Change in fortune must come quickly.

KR undoubtedly built up a fair bit of credit, but his previous clubs have let him go when he reaches his ceiling tactically.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:23 am The medical incident happened about 6 or 7 rows directly in front of me. I have to say the response was rapid and professional and the 20 minutes of hardcore CPR and defibrillator undoubtedly saved the gentleman’s life. Let’s hope he recovers.

The match, from a U’s perspective, followed the same course as many of our performances this season. With the ball we have pedestrian play from 2 centre backs plus a choice of 1 wing back or 1 deep midfielder, trying to pass around an advancing opposition in order to somehow get the ball to a straight front line of 5 or 6 not very tall attackers all trying to play off the shoulder of huge defenders. Our midfield with this set up is all but non-existent, and it is no wonder we have difficulty in creating clear cut chances. Only wonder passes forwards, or the occasional inter passing down the wings result in us getting within spitting distance of the opponents penalty area, which becomes congested very quickly. Then we are left open to fast counter attacks by opposition midfielders who largely have no one to challenge their progress. It’s a bizarre set up that relies heavily on long periods of possession retention. There is no proper structure to the team.

I think it is correct to say that we have scored fewer goals than any other side in the division, and it isn’t surprising.

KR always has an excuse up his sleeve, but the excuses are undoubtedly tired and over used. The same tactics and same failures every week. This is not the same way we have played in the last 3 seasons. How long can the owners realistically allow repeated mistakes with no attempt to adapt.

We have a side which includes several recently recognised as Championship standard players - Browne, McGuane, Bodin, Eastwood, Taylor, Branagan, Bate, Joseph to name a few, who are fit and are in the team each week. Injuries cannot be used as an excuse with a team primarily of such high standard players, interspersed with well established League One players.

The ice is thinning rapidly and beginning to crack. Change in fortune must come quickly.

KR has undoubtedly built up a fair bit of credit, but his previous clubs have let him go when he reaches his ceiling tactically, and I wonder if we have reached that ceiling.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Due to train strikes, rearrangements, other plans and midweek games I've only seen three games this season.

One thing we've repeatedly been told is that the "new" owners have been part of the ownership structure for around 18 months, and so it would seem strange if they haven't been involved in some of the footballing decision-making approvals.

However we have a new Chairman of the board of Directors replacing Tiger, and a new CEO in Tim Williams. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bakrie and Thohir, via Williams, stamp their mark on the club with some fresh appointments at the ground.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Just read through today's comments over on The Other Place. Seems like some very nasty rumours circulating about KR. No idea what they are and the moderators over there are apparently making sure nothing gets posted up there (apparently this info is available out on unsocial media, but not sullying myself looking). But it seems to be of such a nature that either either KR should be sacked or some scum has really stooped to new depths in spreading vile bile. Also not sure when it all appeared, but presumably a few days ago as it might explain the extraordinary (even by most weeks' standards) RadOx interview KR gave. Something is afoot, but given the internet nowadays I do not want to step in it. And if it is all made up, then KR needs all the support the club can give.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Didn't see the game, which was a blessing in the end.
As for the Robinson rumours, I don't know what they are either but I'd venture to guess that they're made-up or vastly exaggerated. Or failing that, irrelevant to the actual team performance. Seems rather convenient they come at a time some fans have decided to go full vitriol towards the manager.

Always a shame when this happens - like when it happened with Wilder, Robinson has done a pretty good job (although not as good as Wilder), establishing us as a top 10 league one team for 3 seasons is not necessarily a straightforward job and he's seen us through some difficult times with Covid and genuine club legends dying. Even if his time is up, and I'm not saying it is, I hope the supporters treat him with some dignity. Unlikely to happen and you particularly feel sorry for his family in these situations.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I haven't seen many games this season, but it strikes me that we've foregone our slightly gung-ho, 'just score more than the opposition' approach of recent seasons in an effort to tighten up defensively. This has worked up to a point - we don't concede many now, but our own scoring has dried up and the football is no longer entertaining. We seem devoid of ideas, and very low on confidence. Fans are understandably not enjoying it.

Robinson has always been a slightly streaky manager (we have a bad run followed by a good one), but what worries me particularly is that we normally snap out of bad runs by going back to basics, play conservatively for a couple of games and grind out a bore draw or two before getting our mojo back. Well we've been trying that all season, it clearly isn't working, and we've had the easiest start to the season on paper imaginable. We are now getting towards must-win territory, for Robinson's tenure at least, and the fixtures suddenly get much trickier. I plan to go to the next three league games, so I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Also, too many fans are looking at the wrong end of the table ('we might struggle to make the play-offs, but...'), when we are in a real relegation fight. The sooner we acknowledge that as a club the better. Robinson has entertained me enough over the last few years that I'm not clamouring for change, assuming he can turn it round. But he needs to do that very quickly, and the fixtures are against him.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Its not good enough is it and hard to see how things will get better unless our injured players come back soon and are able to hit the ground running.

This isn't the first season we have started slow though so I would be inclined to give Robbo until before the Jan transfer window, two play offs in the last three seasons is good going as has some of the football we have played in that time. Would rather he got the chance to turn it around then bring in someone new who would be starting again with a group of players that aren't theirs. However, I can't get to many games anymore as my lad plays football on a Sat afternoon so my view may be different if I had to battle the traffic and pay a good chunk of money to watch some of this in person.

All this talk of new owners doesn't seem to have translated into going large in the transfer market - not to say they should given the amount we lose every year, in part to the stadium situation. But aside from a large increase to CamBrans contract (and Taylors as a result) the players we have brought in are largely either young loans or players who weren't setting the world alight at their previous clubs. I also think Findlay has been disappointing given how long we were after him for and we teams know they will generally get a goal against us so if they keep it tight they stand a good chance of winning the game.

We are def in a relegation fight at the moment and need to start grinding some wins out.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Not sure how many of you listen to the consistently-excellent Fence End podcast, but in their latest episode the consensus seemed to be that KR has enough credit in the bank that if he's saying the poor form is due to injuries, we should wait until the key injured players are back before we judge him - but if things don't improve quickly thereafter, he might run out of road. That seems fair to me, bearing in mind that "injuries" has been the most consistent excuse he has used after defeats.