Tumbleweed

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Tumbleweed

Post by Ancient Colin »

Other than a couple of "where are they now" posts by Slappy, nothing for ten days. Have people gone elsewhere? Just using "the other place" now it's slightly more civilised? Do forums just run out of energy like a dying sun that's burnt off all its fuel (I'm sure that's not quite right but you know what I mean)? Is there anything we can do to revive it?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Tumbleweed

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well I've not gone anywhere else! Still check here most days, and don't check/post elsewhere. The Other Place has too much 'noise' and arguments, whereas the regulars on here have always been a bit more circumspect and articulate.

Happy to commit to posting on here more often if others will!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Likewise.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Ancient Colin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:47 pm Is there anything we can do to revive it?
Post more often? 8)

I'll admit I got a bit bored trying to keep this place alive over the last couple of years, and stopped checking it at all recently. Will start posting again with my views on games if I remember, but it takes a few more people to do likewise to make it less like the same three or four of Us talking to each other, especially when many of Us are exiles who don't go every week (or even every month in my case).
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

There are lots of things going on in the background to talk about.
The ownership structure
Is partly on the OWS https://www.oufc.co.uk/club/information/
A bit of digging (and a few pounds to download) on Singapore Company registry shows that Tiger has long since ceased to be a majority shareholder of the parent company to OUFC.
Apparently the change in ownership is still sat with the EFL, but perhaps seeing as no single person now controls the club, is that the reason for no updates? Or is it that approval is needed for the Indonesians to take control?
The DOF role
Robbo seems to be the person with final decision on player recruitment, apart from signing off on the wages and fees, and this doesn't seem to be working well with the amount of injured players with prior injury history.
The Academy
A high profile departure at the top, followed by one other leaving, and now Robbie Fowler's son is at the academy, and Fowler is sat in the dug out at matches.
Stratfield Brake
Will we get the initial approval?
Then planning permission?
and will it ultimately significantly benefit OUFC?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Thank you - as an exile who rarely gets to matches now (this may change from October as my ancientness has employment consequences) and is somewhat remote from the local news and rumours, these are the precisely the sorts of issues I'd love to see debated, along with the differing views on games, too. This forum used to be where you'd find considered and knowlegable debate on the major issues surrounging the club, in general with much less rancour too, than in the other place. I try to follow that but typically give up once it gets into those aggressive pi@@ing matches about who is really "ITK". From the outside, it all looks a bit rudderless and I suppose my major concern is that, if this is basically a property play linked vaguely to football status, that the principals, facing setbacks on both fronts, might get bored and walk away, leaving an unholy mess.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I must admit I’ve avoided forums generally over the last year or two, as my mental health is worsened by the inevitable circular arguments, and persistent reference to arguments of many eons ago, or what may seem to others like throw away lines that I’ve become sensitive to.

I’m happy contributing and discussing alternative viewpoints, but every time I read something personally negative, it becomes death by a thousand cuts mentally speaking, and then it isn’t worthwhile. Of course it is far worse on the supposedly improved other channel, but even this forum is not immune.