9 in 12, now 5 in 6

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

9 in 12, now 5 in 6

Post by Mooro »

After having to play 9 of the last 12 games away from home, Oxford now face the opportunity of playing 5 of the next 6 games at home (if we beat Lewes), all in the space of just 19 days - who says non-league football is well organised?

Even given the unpredictability of cup draws, there still seem to be an unnecessarily high number of back to back home or away games within the league programme.

Ah well, wonder if I'll actually manage to get to any one of the five....
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re: 9 in 12, now 5 in 6

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:After having to play 9 of the last 12 games away from home, Oxford now face the opportunity of playing 5 of the next 6 games at home (if we beat Lewes), all in the space of just 19 days - who says non-league football is well organised?

Even given the unpredictability of cup draws, there still seem to be an unnecessarily high number of back to back home or away games within the league programme.

Ah well, wonder if I'll actually manage to get to any one of the five....
Call yourself a supporter??

I think it's great there are so many games to see after an amazing drought of home fixtures.

Look it's nothing to do with whether non-league is organised or not. Issue has arisen as a consequence of luck of various cup draws.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Away cup draws are part of the story but the fact remains that of the last 9 league games only 3 have been at home.

Also worth mentioning is that we have just 4 games in February but 8 games in March. I know a big part of this is due to the likelihood of bad weather in February but why not schedule the games and try to play them more evenly - Haven't the conference powers-that-be heard of global warming?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I realise the influence cup games have, but when teh fixture list came out in the summer it did strike me as odd that there were real gluts of games (March and Sep/Oct) where there were games every midweek, then other periods of only Saturday games.

Is it my imagination or have we got far more midweek league games this season than previously?

Anyway, the question remains whether I'll actually manage to get to any of the 5 home games coming up
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:I realise the influence cup games have, but when teh fixture list came out in the summer it did strike me as odd that there were real gluts of games (March and Sep/Oct) where there were games every midweek, then other periods of only Saturday games.
i think this is to do with the way seasons pan out in this Brave New World of non-league football.

october onwards you are likely to have cup ties and replays, and pitches are more susceptible to being declared unplayable in the winter.

hence, i would guess, they try and get a lot of games played before october, leave the winter period with less games, and then by march teams will be back on track/knocked out of cup competitions.