Season tickets

Anything yellow and blue
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Season tickets

Post by Matt D »

i'm interested to see whether all this talk of the club reconnecting with the community, and the return of the oxford loyal, anti-kassam masses, will result in a large increase in season tickets or not. how many do people think will be sold before the start of the season?

i'm assuming prices will stay the same.

new division/new era feel = plus some
conference football = less about the same

so i reckon we'll sell pretty much the same as last year. i don't think that's bad. but i wonder how many the club are banking on selling?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I hope I am proved wrong but if we aren't in the top 3 in October I don't see us getting 4K|| crowds.

Season tickets? Well I intend to get one this year after not bothering last year.

Part of me is quite looking forward to some away trips, where hopefully we swamp the home support. FGR being one.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote: Part of me is quite looking forward to some away trips, where hopefully we swamp the home support. FGR being one.
Same here. From what I've picked up there should be more sold then last season. But how long will it take the whingers to get going if we ain't winning by three goals every week.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote: Part of me is quite looking forward to some away trips, where hopefully we swamp the home support. FGR being one.
Same here. From what I've picked up there should be more sold then last season. But how long will it take the whingers to get going if we ain't winning by three goals every week.
Half-time. First home game.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Half-time. First home game.
First minute, first pre-season game if some of the miserable old gits around me are anything to go by.

Hard one to call on season tickets. I think the &quotanti-kassam-we'll-come back-when-he-goes&quot brigade are a fickle bunch and are unlikely to buy season tickets in numbers. Just look at the tail off after Jim Smith's first game (which we won). I also think we were down to a fairly solid hard core last season anyway so my guess is about the same number next season. If by Christmas we are top of the table then I'd expect a boost of season tickets for the second half of the season.

I'm also looking forward to visiting some strange new places and experiences next season. For example what and where is Forest Green Rovers and what sort of a league is it where clubs request to be relegated? We could have done with a Canvey Island in our division last season.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotMally&quot wrote: what sort of a league is it where clubs request to be relegated? We could have done with a Canvey Island in our division last season.
we had halifax a few seasons ago...

for me it's more the fact that on a regular basis this is a league where the final ball is kicked in the play-off final, and weeks later people still aren't sure which division they'll be in the following season.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotMally&quot wrote:For example what and where is Forest Green Rovers
I don't know quite what it is, but as for where, it's in Nailsworth. Not to be confused with Nailsea, which is in Somerset.

I think the reality of which division we're in next season will hit home when the fixtures come out, and we suddenly see that we're competing with Stafford Rangers, Burton Albion, Tamworth and St Albans as equals.
Hog

Post by Hog »

But surely some are more equal than others?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Season Tickets

Post by Swissbloke »

I've also convinced myself to get a season ticket. Quite excited about the coming season.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I'm surprised that nobody else has commented on the season ticket price announcement so far.

For fewer games in a lower league we are being asked to pay the same as last year. I would have expected at least a small reduction if they really wanted to try and attract more fans. The announcement from the club suggests that by keeping the ticket prices up then more players can come in to enable us to go straight back up but this isn't really true. The amount of money we can spend is determined by last years turnover and we will have more than enough revenue this season to reach the allowed wage cap.

I'm also surprised to find out (after the event) that OxVox sent a letter to the club asking for prices to be kept the same - exactly who are they representing by making this request? Surely lower prices and the likelihood of higher crowds that this would bring is something that most OxVox members would prefer.

If Kassam had made an announcement like this then you can imagine the accusations that would be flying around about not caring about the fans and trying to screw as much money as possible out of them.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Yes, put like that, it's a 9.5% per match nominal increase in price! Wage cap notwithstanding, though, if there is to be a rebuild of the club - players, scouting, reversing all the cheese-paring that happened under the last regime, then revenue is needed ...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

It's not for fewer games though, is it? The Conference from 06/07 will have 24 teams in it, just like division 4 last season. Two teams (Canvey and Altrincham) have been &quotrelegated&quot, while four teams (Northwich and Stafford from Conf North, and Weymouth and St Albans from Conf South) have been promoted.

As for who OxVox asked before making its suggestions - we received a number of representations from members, almost all of whom said that they thought a price freeze would be reasonable for one season provided the club is promoted. And while the wage cap is initially set according to last season's turnover, there are two review dates throughout the season to take account of changes to turnover, so it's important to maintain (or, better, increase) turnover throughout the season. Plus, while the stadium remains in Kassam's mitts, ticket revenue is just about the only income stream available. Double plus, it is reasonable to assume that the wage cap for 2007/08 will be based on next season's turnover, so it's important to keep that at a high level, especially if promotion isn't achieved and other income streams decline as a result.
Hog

Post by Hog »

But it's not less games - they've increased the size of the Conference to 24 clubs. Agree they should have reduced them a bit, and the &quotbenefits&quot of a ST are of little or no attraction to the Exile: they could have done something for us! Oh, and that berluddy matchday premium - that's an oppurtunity missed in my view.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

And we thought going down was bad.

Seems to me that we only have one flip of the coin this coming season.

If we don't get promoted this year then we really face the sustainability debate.

Deep, deep, breath andpray we win 4 out of the first 5 games at least.
neil w

Post by neil w »

Mally, you seem to be digging deep in order to extract the negatives from what, generally speaking, is really positive. This compares to previously finding only positives, in amongst all the shite created by the previous regime...... Isn't it time to move on and finally accept whatever one else can see?