R&D

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

R&D

Post by Mally »

Remind me which team was top of the table and which was next to bottom? We were completely clueless and even with 4 strikers on I can't remember a shot on target. Whoever compiled the match stats and came up with 2 on target was being very generous in how they defined a shot.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Can someone explain why, when we had 3 strikers on, are getting overun in midfield and a defender goes off (according to Jerome) we ignore a midfield replacement and bring on a crap forward?
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

We will not get promoted playing 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2).

We do not pressure teams nearly enough, there's no width, and if/when Burgess doesn't fire, there's no creativity.

Atkins F***ed up two promotions by stubbornly refusing to change formation, I hope Jimbo doesn't do the same.

4-4-2 please, please. With two wingers bought in the transfer window.

Playing lots of strikers doesn't make you an attacking team, it makes you an inbalanced team.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

“Completely clueless
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I agree with just about everything posted by Baboo. In particular the Burgess showboating. He looked like he was playing for the scouts in the stands and his career rather than the team that pays his wages. Duffy does nothing when we don't have the ball and on a couple of occasions simply watched a defender with the ball a couple of yards away when he could easily have got a challenge in.

All over the pitch there are worrying signs of a lack of team spirit and fight that was so evident a couple of months back.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

What I am finding interesting is the lack of postings this week.

Now of course it could be that people are just busy at work, or off on holiday or out partying OR it could be that while not yet wanting to stick their heads over the parapet and be labelled negative, many posters are struggling to find too much to say on the positive front….

It is pretty much the half way point in the season and we are top of the league, two points clear of our only near challengers, who themselves are on a terrible run of results and likely to have to offload players in January. We are then 8 points or more clear of the chasing pack, who are taking points off each other with great regularity. We also have the largest crowds, the biggest potential wage budget and active backers who show every sign of allowing the manager to build during the transfer window rather than cut back and two wholly winnable games coming up over Christmas.

So, why the current nervousness? Are worries over systems and squad-depth and tactical changes valid or is it just the Ghost of Seasons Recent clouding what is really a pretty rosy outlook?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

There have been a lot of away games recently which probably partly explains our dip in form but also might suggest that not that many have seen too many games recently.

I didn't see Stevenage or Rushden, but the worrying thing for me is that they both sounded a bit like the Gravesend game, where we were outfought and outmuscled for much of the game and failed to create chances. Earlier in the season that wasn't happening, we rarely played well for 90 minutes, or even 45 minutes, but often we'd put together a good half an hour and that'd win us the game. Marvin Robinson could become important after christmas, since despite not looking up to much he did provide a certain physical presence that I think we're lacking currently.

The January window is obviously crucial, I think a new right wing back is important. Anaclet has done well in patches this year but we rely on him and Burgess almost entirely as attacking outlets and if one or both has a poor game we struggle. I think that's quite a lot of responsibility for a 19 year old in his first full season. Not sure there are that many quality right wing backs knocking around this level of football though.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quot]What I am finding interesting is the lack of postings this week&quot.

Me too - i find it strange at times that when there is a match to debate there is an errie silence but when other topics come along people often have plenty to say. Do members of this board attend many matches - (Don't bother to answer that Zeke, I know your circumstances)

&quotSo, why the current nervousness?&quot
Having seen all the games this season (&amp obviously the last few) the reason is there staring me in the face. But I'm still reasonably confident even though we are clearly lacking many things - Pace / Width / Wing backs who can do a proper wing back job / Physical presence up front.

Having just read this before posting it I'd like to point out that I have not meant to be having a go at any non attenders. Apologies in advance if people interpret it that way.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:&quot]What I am finding interesting is the lack of postings this week&quot.

Me too - i find it strange at times that when there is a match to debate there is an errie silence but when other topics come along people often have plenty to say. Do members of this board attend many matches - (Don't bother to answer that Zeke, I know your circumstances)

&quotSo, why the current nervousness?&quot
Having seen all the games this season (&amp obviously the last few) the reason is there staring me in the face. But I'm still reasonably confident even though we are clearly lacking many things - Pace / Width / Wing backs who can do a proper wing back job / Physical presence up front.

Having just read this before posting it I'd like to point out that I have not meant to be having a go at any non attenders. Apologies in advance if people interpret it that way.
How about this? The game was so bad that an eerie silence is the best that can be said for it. A thoroughly dispiriting experince. Marred by a racist pig sittimg behind me.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotResurrection Ox
How about this? The game was so bad that an eerie silence is the best that can be said for it. A thoroughly dispiriting experince. Marred by a racist pig sittimg behind me.[/quote]

Doesn't get much worse than that.