TRANSFERS...

Anything yellow and blue
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Re: TRANSFERS...

Post by Out of the gloom »

Strong post YF Dan.

Of course it is unknown how a loanee, or indeed any young player, will do in the first team. The odd clip aside, evidence to prejudge individuals is limited.

What, in principle, is both risky and detrimental is neglecting long-term development for little short-term gain. The recent signings aren't even intended to improve the first eleven but be impact substitutes.

Ashby didn't make the bench on Saturday. Hawtin and Humphreys scored yesterday v Easington. Rather than grant opportunities to those contracted to other clubs, I would much prefer our own were given every chance to suceed.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

The U's sign Chesterfield striker Armand Gnanduillet, 23 on loan until the end of the season.
The big Ivorian stands 6 ft 4" and has previously been on loan at Tranmere Rovers
last October.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Armand Gnanduillet? That's easy for you to say
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I wonder how much he's costing? ;-)
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

All I care about is, can he play the number 10 role?

23 and counting. Ludicrous.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Please can that be it now - at least until the summer
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Here comes Private Fraser at the double. A big striker with a reasonable track record makes sense to me.

Hoskins is presumably crocked and OUFC are playing in a much more direct style, (certainly in the last two matches), with only Roberts to come off the bench to play up front.

We do need a new right back though as well :lol:
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Would love to know how a 6ft 4 target man fits into the much-trumpeted DNA!

This comment from a Chesterfield fan on the "other side" did make me chuckle:
The problem I have with him is that for every 10 balls played to him in the air 7 are won by the defender because they judge the flight of the ball better. 2 are won by the defender because they time the jump better and one hits him on the head and goes somewhere. This means if you have any hope of him making a contribution you probably have to aim 30 long balls a game at him and I don't want to watch that style of football. If I did I would support Mansfield.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I'd assumed our DNA approach would be "Don't Need Anyone" following the last two games. However, it appears plan B means "Donkey Now Arrived"

Actually, it's probably a pragmatic and necessary option to get the job done.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Another transfer that doesn't appear to make sense (to me at least), we've got a guy playing up front that doesn't score but at least he contributes well to the team, how is Gnanduillet likely to improve on that? And what's Roberts got to do to get a game? Surely his goals to minute ratio is second to none in our squad this season and MApp won't even bring him on any more!

On another note I believe Balmy and Rasulo, players that were only signed on short-term deals, are yet to make to make their débuts. I find some of these signings baffling.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I guess this is Appleton's job and he has thought about it more than us, so presumably there are reasons. I suspect it's a try-before-you-buy plan aimed at next season.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

joepoolman wrote: we've got a guy playing up front that doesn't score but at least he contributes well to the team, how is Gnanduillet likely to improve on that?
Well, I can imagine one way he could improve on that.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
joepoolman wrote: we've got a guy playing up front that doesn't score but at least he contributes well to the team, how is Gnanduillet likely to improve on that?
Well, I can imagine one way he could improve on that.
Yes, Gnanduillet's has scored few goals in the past, hence me questioning the likelihood of him improving Us.