Worst start to the league since...

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Worst start to the league since...

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I don't miss the leaky roofs, the piss stained stinking toilets, or the crumbling concourses.

But I desperately miss the style of the place, the history, the fear it bred into the opposition, the atmosphere, the location, the noise, the comforting feel like a pair of well worn slippers, the slope, the identity, and it being our own home, and above all the memories.

Choked up now.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Of course we all miss the Manor.

After all:

1) for all but the last season, the standard of football most of us witnessed was way better than the turd we've endured since.
2) It was surrounded by pubs and public transport, so most of our memories are given a certain beer-tinged soft focus warmth.
3) We were all younger and life seemed more fun.
4) Most of us stood on a terrace with our mates under a low roof which created atmosphere.
5) We were closer to the pitch, so the players seemed so much more 'real' and easier to identify with.
6) We had a string of heroes: Aldridge, Hamilton, Saunders, Simpson, Beauchamp, Elliott, Moody, Windass, Powell, Brooks... even in the shit seasons, there always seemed to be one player in every squad who you could pin your hopes on. Since then, we've had one: Constable, who's main asset was his commitment and work ethic.

But if we'd not moved, and the past 13 seasons of drivel had happened at the Manor, would we still love the place like we think we do now?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Ah but had we have stayed at the Manor would we have been as bad since leaving - I think the main reason we struggle is this souless windswept hole by the sewage works we are playing in.

The average crowds since leaving never justified leaving, neither did our league position - standing is still allowed in league two right? However, paying nearly half a million in payments for the ground and not getting any of the commercial benefits puts us at a huge disadvantage and negates the higher crowds we get than other clubs around us. Other teams hated playing at the Manor and gave us a huge advantage. Teams at this level like playing at our large stadium, raise thier game and as a result our home form has never been the same.

This stadium has meant we have become a below average league 2 side. The Manor meant we were a Championship/league 1 side.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

ty cobb wrote:Ah but had we have stayed at the Manor would we have been as bad since leaving - I think the main reason we struggle is this souless windswept hole by the sewage works we are playing in.

The average crowds since leaving never justified leaving, neither did our league position - standing is still allowed in league two right? However, paying nearly half a million in payments for the ground and not getting any of the commercial benefits puts us at a huge disadvantage and negates the higher crowds we get than other clubs around us. Other teams hated playing at the Manor and gave us a huge advantage. Teams at this level like playing at our large stadium, raise thier game and as a result our home form has never been the same.

This stadium has meant we have become a below average league 2 side. The Manor meant we were a Championship/league 1 side.
The rent doesn't completely negate our higher crowds (the last time I did the calcs it was worth about 800 on the gate - probably more now), but it does heavily restrict the club being where it should be for the size of club, and I agree effectively brings us down to being a top 10 league 2 club instead of a top 3 league 2 club (and so effectively a higher division club). Also this is exacerbated when our crowds are at the lower end of our usual range (i.e circa 5,500 rather than 7,500), as the rent becomes disproportionately higher compared to turnover. This then also contributes hugely to the losses.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

standing is still allowed in league two right?

Yes and no.

If your team has been in the top two tiers since the Taylor report was put into statute then you can’t (like when we got promoted to the Championship in ’96) though you are allowed two seasons to make the ground all seated. No matter that you drop a division or three in later years.

If your team has never been in the top two tiers since Taylor then it’s hunky dory to stand.

And yes, I know that’s a crazy rule, but it’s why Oxford United will never have terracing until the ‘safe standing’ argument is won. Not sure what would happen if in the worst case scenario a ground share with Oxford City was forced on Us, but I’ve a horrible feeling that would not be allowed.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Morecambe's home terrace is great example of what can be achieved by safe standing. Despite their shockingly poor home attendance numerically, they were loud and you could hear every word of their songs despite that effing drum. They were making the best of what they have, and looked to be having some fun along the way.

I miss the Manor and often think of it with fondness, despite the fact that I started supporting the club at about the same time as we started our quick descent down the leagues. But you can't live in the past, even if it gives you comfort from time to time. I miss traveling the world on shoestring in my late teens, but I'm doing other stuff now, not better or worse things, just different. You can only change what happens now. To that end the efforts of the Ultras and those that have been trying to improve the atmosphere have been great, and its something that keeps me going back to games. And its a shame in a way that more people don't get involved in this - I'm sure they'd welcome a bit of help. I imagine it gives you a reason to go to a game (other than to confirm how shit the experience is, for the thousandth time). Let's face it - it's not for the football, is it?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Snake wrote:standing is still allowed in league two right?

Yes and no.

If your team has been in the top two tiers since the Taylor report was put into statute then you can’t (like when we got promoted to the Championship in ’96) though you are allowed two seasons to make the ground all seated. No matter that you drop a division or three in later years.

If your team has never been in the top two tiers since Taylor then it’s hunky dory to stand.

And yes, I know that’s a crazy rule, but it’s why Oxford United will never have terracing until the ‘safe standing’ argument is won. Not sure what would happen if in the worst case scenario a ground share with Oxford City was forced on Us, but I’ve a horrible feeling that would not be allowed.
I don't think this is quite correct. You have to be all-seater, I believe, if you're starting a fourth season in the top two tiers since August 1994. e.g. Peterborough would have been forced to go all-seater had they been promoted last season, but as it is they don't have to, having spent just the three seasons in the second tier. (We fall under the same category, three seasons in the second tier since 1994.)

So, if we'd have stayed at the Manor we'd have been ok until promoted into tier 2 (ho ho). However, you are right that we can't now move back from being all-seater, as there's some bizarre rule that says once you've gone all-seater you can't go back.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Jimski wrote:

Yes and no.

I don't think this is quite correct. You have to be all-seater, I believe, if you're starting a fourth season in the top two tiers since August 1994. e.g. Peterborough would have been forced to go all-seater had they been promoted last season, but as it is they don't have to, having spent just the three seasons in the second tier. (We fall under the same category, three seasons in the second tier since 1994.)

So, if we'd have stayed at the Manor we'd have been ok until promoted into tier 2 (ho ho). However, you are right that we can't now move back from being all-seater, as there's some bizarre rule that says once you've gone all-seater you can't go back.
The answer - http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk ... all-stadia - and - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26357525
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Yes and no.

The Liberal Democrats have today announced that if they form part of a government after the next general election, they will seek to have safe standing introduced in all tiers of football.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

GodalmingYellow wrote:

Yes and no.

The Liberal Democrats have today announced that if they form part of a government after the next general election, they will seek to have safe standing introduced in all tiers of football.
Well thank goodness for that. We're saved!
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

tomoufc wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:

Yes and no.

Well thank goodness for that. We're saved!
Indeed, you can rely on the Lib Dems to stick to their manifesto pledges....oh wait.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Great, I just can’t wait to vote for the LibDems now I’ve read that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20595308

Sarcasm aside, can anyone think of just one thing the Member of Parliament for Witney has done that is any way connected to Oxford United. The last time I saw him with the vaguest link to Us was when he turned up to officially open the new facilities offered by Uncle Firoz. The food was fab but it was a shame that in his ten minute speech he kept referring to him as “Feroz”. Sad, pathetic, and out of touch Mr. Cameron.

http://eatoutmagazine.co.uk/david-camer ... ark-oxford
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

And that's not the only thing he's Eton. Sorry.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Radley Rambler wrote:Indeed, you can rely on the Lib Dems to stick to their manifesto pledges....oh wait.
To be fair, as Clegg has said many times, they didn't actually win the election did they, so even by joining the coalition, they could not be expected to be able to deliver all of their manifesto promises.....

I'm not going to get into how many they have/havent (becuase I dont know), or indeed how many the tories (or labour) have been able to deliver.....

....BUT could it be that, should the coalition remain after the next election, might this be the kind of thing that the tories will accept as a sop to their minority partners??
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Mooro wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:Indeed, you can rely on the Lib Dems to stick to their manifesto pledges....oh wait.
To be fair, as Clegg has said many times, they didn't actually win the election did they, so even by joining the coalition, they could not be expected to be able to deliver all of their manifesto promises.....

I'm not going to get into how many they have/havent (becuase I dont know), or indeed how many the tories (or labour) have been able to deliver.....

....BUT could it be that, should the coalition remain after the next election, might this be the kind of thing that the tories will accept as a sop to their minority partners??
I suppose it's whether you think principles are important. From the day of the election until now the lib dens could have triggered another election, or forced the Tories to govern by useless minority. But they've given support to this vampire-like government who are cutting what little state support was left for those not fit, of working age, and fortunate enough to live in London.