Gary Waddock

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Gary Waddock

Post by SWA »

The new gaffer has been confirmed as Gary Waddock. Get behind him and the team.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Gary Waddock

Post by ty cobb »

As I said yesterday my first reaction was meh my second is why the hell has it taken so long to appoint him the delay has really cost us this season and to hear it's to bring someone in who hasn't been a manager for ages is somewhat of a joke.

Good luck to him obviously I hope it goes really well.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Well after such a long recruitment process, he'd better be a bloody miracle worker, given that he must have beaten many other candidates.

I'll back him and the team of course, but I fear that unless he can turn the form around in short order, he could lose the fans and be on a hiding to nothing.

Very glad it's not Tisdale though.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

ty cobb wrote:As I said yesterday my first reaction was meh my second is why the hell has it taken so long to appoint him the delay has really cost us this season and to hear it's to bring someone in who hasn't been a manager for ages is somewhat of a joke.

Sounds like you are giving him your full support Ty. Out of curiosity, other than CW being reappointed today, who else would have made you happy?

Waddock has two promotions on his CV.

He said all the right things in the RadOx interview, regarding tempo, attacking football, development of youth. If he lives up to these words, I will be delighted.

COYY.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

ty cobb wrote:As I said yesterday my first reaction was meh my second is why the hell has it taken so long to appoint him the delay has really cost us this season and to hear it's to bring someone in who hasn't been a manager for ages is somewhat of a joke.

I agree that it's probably taken too long to appoint him but Waddock hasn't been a manager for 18 months (exactly). Is that really such a long time that it renders the appointment a "joke"?
See you all on Monday, COYY!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

How long it took to appointment an out of work manager was a joke not the appointment. Of course he gets my full support I think he is an OK appointment not bad but on the face of it not great either.

As I said I very much hope it works out and goes well.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

The fact that Waddock was previously not in a managerial position (for however long) is utterly irrelevant. Besides, it is not as if he was unemployed - he still had a job, with a contract, the terms of which had to be respected.

Whilst, ultimately, this process has taken longer than we expected or wanted, any proper process necessarily involves interviewing more than just one or two people to get a quick decision. Ideally not this long, but better that than a rush-job (pun not intended), nor the Kassam/Andy From Little Britain approach.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Yeah, would've been much better if we'd made a snap appointment of one of the usual faces. Going through a proper recruitment process was outrageous. And for that process to only come up with someone with two promotions already on his CV and in work as a widely respected Head of Coaching with a team pushing for promotion from their league just shows how wrong it was to take such an approach.

What a joke.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'm just glad we appointed someone at last - hopefully this appointment coupled with last night's result can kickstart our season again.

I'm also glad it's not Tisdale. Heard nothing but negative stuff about him.
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

Can i be the first to say.......

.... WADDOCK OUT!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

And also just to say that Waddock was not out of a job before this. He was head coach (not the same as manager in this case) at Franchise.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

SmileyMan wrote:Well after such a long recruitment process, he'd better be a bloody miracle worker, given that he must have beaten many other candidates.
71 applicants, according to the Beeb, with 12 coming for an interview and 3 getting a second interview yesterday, of which Waddock was last and was offered the job immediately afterwards. Whatever happens now, IL can't fall back on the "didn't fit in with the club vision" excuse that caused the acrimony with Wilder towards the end.

Feeling positive now - I hope he has the good luck to start off with a win against Sarfend. He's certainly got the experience at both ends of the table, avoiding relegation and finishing off the job of promotion. Still a tall order to go up this season, but hope rather than despair is the SmileyMan feeling now!

Oxford 'til I die!!!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Jimski wrote:And also just to say that Waddock was not out of a job before this. He was head coach (not the same as manager in this case) at Franchise.
He has been appointed as Head Coach here too, which leads me to believe the strong rumours of a DoF being appointed also.

While Waddock has 2 promos, one was from Conference and just the one in the League. Is it my mistake, but doesn't he also have an immediate relegation following promotion also with Wycombe?

I'm ambivalent about the appointment, but if he buys into the philosophy and playing style, then more power to his elbow.

Everyone needs to get behind him and the team to maximise our opportunity this season.

As I have said previously, my biggest gripe has been the length of the process, which was more than double what was necessary.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

A good appointment - well done IL.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

There are a few examples of comparatively small clubs getting out of League Two and
doing really well i.e Yeovil, Stevenage, Doncaster (a few years ago) etc but it was always a tall order
to push on in League One at Wycombe after Waddock got them up on the final day in 2010/2011.
They did play good football that season (despite having Pittman and Rendell in attack!)
but struggled badly after that promotion.

Rochdale will go up again under Keith Hill (what a job he does with a second Dale promotion in four years)
but they may well struggle to stay in League One ditto Shrewsbury, Crewe, Crawley, Dagenham and Exeter (in recent years)
and of course it does not mean Hill will have failed - he won't have done.

I was not particularly impressed with Waddock's appointment but having heard his press interviews today
and read what his previous clubs fans think about him - I can see why Lenagan appointed him.

I did not want Tisdale, Beattie, O'Driscoll, Keen, Martin Allen or David Penney so I was running out of
options for my choice and was prepared for a shock.

I'd have preferred Micky Adams but he is on the verge of agreeing a new contract at Vale Park.