The 12th Man initiative

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The 12th Man initiative

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I read on that forum that Trevor Lambert and his wife have resigned their life memberships of OxVox.
Very sad if true. I have no axe to grind or any real knowledge of the politics of the whole thing - but I did have adjacent season tickets to Mr & Mrs Lambert a few years ago, and they both struck me as very honourable, decent people who just wanted to do the right thing for the club they supported. Whatever the politics of it, their non-involvement strikes me as a Bad Thing.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Snake wrote:
Hog wrote:Just picked up on this on that strange site and it seems to have gone under the radar on here. Very strange.

http://www.yellowvoice.co.uk/post/12th- ... 1?trail=15
Looks like Yellow Voice is going to die in 5 days time - http://www.yellowvoice.co.uk/post/messa ... ce-6790585
Just tried to read that thread and it's closed already. PANIC STATIONS!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:I read on that forum that Trevor Lambert and his wife have resigned their life memberships of OxVox.
Very sad if true. I have no axe to grind or any real knowledge of the politics of the whole thing - but I did have adjacent season tickets to Mr & Mrs Lambert a few years ago, and they both struck me as very honourable, decent people who just wanted to do the right thing for the club they supported. Whatever the politics of it, their non-involvement strikes me as a Bad Thing.
They are both very honourable, decent people. I would trust Trevor much further than I could throw some of the numpties who have got involved in the various fans organisations in recent years.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I found this copy of the closing statement posted on New TiU if you haven't seen it ...

Dear Members

It's been 7 months since we decided to test the appetite for an additional forum to run along side the other 2 forums. At the time it was launched we had no idea if it would be successful or if it would be read by many people. We took the decision not to approach anyone for advertising and kept the actual site easy to view and read. Membership rose steadily over the initial few months and we saw as many as 60 people viewing at anyone time.

The driver behind launching when we did was the sudden removal of the official Oxvox forum which we felt was totally unfair as the members had no say in its demise. Yellowvoice is totally independent and as a result we have never been controlled by any third party.

One of the biggest gripes of those who have opposed this site from day one is the fact, despite unbelievable digging,trawling and accusing, they have no idea who owns this site. It has always been the main criteria that this information would remain confidential and therefore reduce the possibility of outside control through threats and overbearing pressure on individuals.

With the help of both the Moderators the site has lived up to its promise to clamp down on abusive language, personal insults and threats to other members.

The moderators have had to deal with a number of controversial posts over the last 7 months and in our opinion acted both in a professional and fair manner, when making their decisions.

It has been very apparent that this site has ruffled a few feathers within the supporters trust namely Mark Sennett and Simon Bradbury. Mr Bradbury even felt the need to compare the membership as "rabid dogs" in one of his posts on yellows forum.

We have been informed that at least 2 members of this site have been contacted by one or both of Mark Sennett and Simon Bradbury, demanding to know who owns the site. Unfortunately for both of them the members they spoke to have no idea who owns this site.

Mark Sennett and Simon Bradbury have made it known that they are looking to take legal action against certain members ( Oxvox members?) and Yellowvoice. Mark Sennett explained that they have access too free legal support to take action against both Yellowvoice and others through the courts, in other words they want to sue us. We have no idea if this is being done in their official positions as Chairman and Vice-Chairman of Oxvox or as individuals.

This site has always supported the idea of a fully independent supporters trust and would be extremely disappointed if this was being pursued under the auspices of Oxvox, as we are in fact members ourselves.

The one major problem that has been highlighted to us is the fact that both Mark Sennett and Simon Bradbury would prefer this site were to close rather than have the embarrassment of having to explain their actions in a proper debate on Yellowvoice. We informed the moderators that in the event that either or both of them were to apply to be members that they would be welcome. They appear to prefer to post on the other two forums.

We are essentially Oxford United fans who have a passion for our club, which has been sorely tested over the last 10 years. It was our intention to provide a vehicle where fellow supporters could engage in sensible debate without fear of threats, vile language and ridicule. It is our opinion that we have achieved this, by launching this site.

We are extremely busy people who have careers that take up an awful amount of our precious time, however we were prepared to give up some of our personal time to ensure that supporters like ourselves were not gagged and would be able to ask those difficult but important questions, that need answers. It would appear that this is not welcome by a few self important headline seekers.

We have proved that there is room for a well run 3rd forum totally independent of outside influence and control. Yellowvoice viewing figures for February reached well over 117,000 and over the 7 months in excess of 600,000.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank those who have contributed some excellent match reports and photographs, which we feel helped to make this site successful. The one thing you can be sure of is that those who act on behalf of the supporters without their permission or agreement will be held to account.

The threat of legal action is in our opinion no more than a bluff that has been threatened on more than one occasion by Mark Sennett and now Simon Bradbury. We have absolutely no fears over this threat and having taken legal advice, are more than confident that we would indeed run a successful defence if this litigation were to end up in a very expensive legal battle.

The two moderators, Investigator and Cloughie have informed us that they have been receiving some unpleasant personal messages, which are unacceptable and that they are spending a lot of their time trying to ensure the site meets the standards we have set. Having given a lot of our time over the last 7 months and especially over the last few days, we have with a heavy heart decided that for the good of Oxford United Football Club and to try to repair the obvious infighting between supporters, to give notice of closure of Yellowvoice. Yellowvoice will close 5 days from today and all existing forums on Yellowvoice will be removed along with the details of the membership. We would like to send our best wish's to the other two forums who do a magnificent job in giving supporters a voice.

The one lesson we have learnt from this venture is that free speech is not always welcome by those who have something to hide.

Yellowvoice Founders

Sounds like it was written by some very pompous people who are trying desperately hard not to appear to be panicing!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Once upon a time (well, lots of times actually) at all the entrances of The Manor Ground you could buy a copy of Yellow Fever or Rage On for just a quid and pick up a free copy of FOULMouth as well as picking up information on fledgling internet forums and it was all in harmony with fans working together. The printed fanzines have now gone and FOUL handed over a seamless change to OxVox as soon as the new Stadium move was complete, but just look at this disunited mess right now...

And still real no explanation on Rage Online from the major players like Sennett or Trevor, let alone Rent Boy/EP1. Hey, this is not a Russia v The West situation and no one is going to start a nuclear war about it and quite frankly the threat of legal action about postings on any internet board regarding a Fourth Division English Football Club should not close down any avenue of free speech. Yes, the authorities have your IP address, and yes it may be slanderous/libellous/untrue , but at this kind of level who the fuck cares?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Forget the spin included in the Yellow Voice forum statement. Unfortunately, the YellowVoice forum was very badly moderated, with many perfectly legitimate and non-abusive posts and threads being deleted for no reason other than the moderators didn't like being either questioned, or criticised, or their views brought into question. People were banned for simply asking very straightforward, non-accusatory, and non aggressive questions, including yours truly. It was run in a manner not dissimilar to that of a dictatorship or communist state, with only the state views allowed. I know who was behind it and who moderated it. Some were good people, others were not, and regrettably some of them had very bitter and twisted and unnecessary ideas about some OxVox members, just as I have heard bitter and twisted views about present OxVox incumbents from other fans groups. Its all very petty and unnecessary.

The fact is that neither side (I use the term side very loosely) comes out covered in glory, and both the pro and anti OxVox brigades seem to have forgotten our shared aims and shared voluntary status when we try to help the club. As Snake quite rightly says, these supporters groups are all a bit low level and lacking in any claim to authority for threats of legal action because one person said something someone else didn't like. Such threats are the thought process of the immature and inexperienced.

All I will say is that OxVox is the only democratic organisation with membership that exists for supporters, albeit a democracy that leaves a lot to be desired, but at least supporters get to choose who runs it or can put themselves forward if they wish. But those who are elected have to remember that they are elected to serve the membership and wider support, and not to do what the hell they like, serving only themselves.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Very well said GY. Completely agree.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Agree 100% with GY. Trevor and Sally have resigned their Oxvox life membership? How very sad.
Think all right minded members who care should get along to Oxvox AGM on Saturday and ask a few questions.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Snake wrote:Once upon a time (well, lots of times actually) at all the entrances of The Manor Ground you could buy a copy of Yellow Fever or Rage On for just a quid and pick up a free copy of FOULMouth as well as picking up information on fledgling internet forums and it was all in harmony with fans working together. The printed fanzines have now gone and FOUL handed over a seamless change to OxVox as soon as the new Stadium move was complete, but just look at this disunited mess right now...

And still real no explanation on Rage Online from the major players like Sennett or Trevor, let alone Rent Boy/EP1. Hey, this is not a Russia v The West situation and no one is going to start a nuclear war about it and quite frankly the threat of legal action about postings on any internet board regarding a Fourth Division English Football Club should not close down any avenue of free speech. Yes, the authorities have your IP address, and yes it may be slanderous/libellous/untrue , but at this kind of level who the fuck cares?
Absolutely right. United We Stand?

My arse.

'Oop the Warriors'.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

When we fans were first given a voice, through the medium of fanzines, it was both uniting and fun. Fun to contribute, fun to read. Combined with a few local hostelries, near the ground, we had it cracked. One big love in.

Quite how fan representation has evolved in to this nonsense is beyond me. Above all else, it’s really not fun is it. Far too intense, unnecessary and pointless.
Fifteen years+ of online forums, with reactive ill considered opinion being bandied around by the masses, obviously hasn’t helped.

As for Yellow Fever no longer being around; I think you’ll find that Dan is merely taking an extended break to collect thoughts ahead of a new bumper edition :lol:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

neilw wrote:When we fans were first given a voice, through the medium of fanzines, it was both uniting and fun. Fun to contribute, fun to read. Combined with a few local hostelries, near the ground, we had it cracked. One big love in.

Quite how fan representation has evolved in to this nonsense is beyond me. Above all else, it’s really not fun is it. Far too intense, unnecessary and pointless.
Fifteen years+ of online forums, with reactive ill considered opinion being bandied around by the masses, obviously hasn’t helped.

As for Yellow Fever no longer being around; I think you’ll find that Dan is merely taking an extended break to collect thoughts ahead of a new bumper edition :lol:
I blame Boris Brodders...
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Eric Pollard wrote:Agree 100% with GY. Trevor and Sally have resigned their Oxvox life membership? How very sad.
Think all right minded members who care should get along to Oxvox AGM on Saturday and ask a few questions.
that would be great. it's in the landmark suite, 1.30pm, before the burton game.

anyway, don't think we've ever had a fictional character come along before.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Will Snake be taking his cat?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Boogie wrote:Will Snake be taking his cat?
Sooty doesn’t like travelling and as I’m not a member of OxVox I’m not sure if I’d be allowed into the room by proxy even though it could be a half-interesting meeting. I had in my diary to be at The Emirates (padded seats cost only £25.50 for that game due to some Prem clubs getting their act together) but as Arsenal are still in the FA Cup I have a blank Saturday football wise.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

neilw wrote:When we fans were first given a voice, through the medium of fanzines, it was both uniting and fun. Fun to contribute, fun to read.
I'll have to raid the box in the loft which has some copies of Rage On and Yellow Fever amongst various programmes and scan some of the comic strips onto here, technology permitting. In the era I was collecting these, some of the then incumbents make the present bunch look like deities, so there was plenty of material for YF to get stuck into [Tait's Gallery is the one that immediately springs to mind], which was some light relief from the pages of (well-informed) rants in RO.