Who ya gonna call...?

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re: Who ya gonna call...?

Post by Ancient Colin »

Isaac wrote:From memory Mickey Lewis is a big fan of 5-3-2 so brace yourselves for that one (especially with our 3 centre halves).
Well, except that, according to the BBC, Wright is out for up to six weeks.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Dave Penney ticks a lot of boxes, especially of IL wants Mad Dog to stay on.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

That's a good idea.

Lets engineer the departure of our most successful manager in 15 years and bring in Dave Penney
to work with Mickey Lewis. You could not make it up.

Honestly, it's pure comedy.You have people that are/have been scathing of Chris Wilder
and then names such as Richard Hill, Dave Penney et al come dribbling out of peoples mouths
on forums.As if the names such as PDC are not scary enough.

I am dismayed.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I just don't get the Sean O'Driscoll love-in. He did ok at Bournemouth and Doncaster, but his recent record really isn't that good.

My feeling is that Chris Allen is going to get the nod until the end of the season. He ticks a lot of the Lenegan's boxes (particularly with regards to youth development), he has steadfastly refused to allow the youth team play the "Wilder Way" and reaped the rewards of that, and also has the respect of many of the senior pros at the club, many of whom did not at first realise he had a Premier League background.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

OUFC4eva wrote:That's a good idea.

Lets engineer the departure of our most successful manager in 15 years and bring in Dave Penney
to work with Mickey Lewis. You could not make it up.

Honestly, it's pure comedy.You have people that are/have been scathing of Chris Wilder
and then names such as Richard Hill, Dave Penney et al come dribbling out of peoples mouths
on forums.As if the names such as PDC are not scary enough.

I am dismayed.
Agreed. Some of the suggestions on here and elsewhere are astonishing.

Whoever comes in has to be 'better' than Wilder or Leneghan might as well have just renewed his contract rather than give the contract to some idiot. There is no-one on the out of work manager's list, who is a realistic target, that I would like to work here. Most of them are out of work for good reason.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

theox wrote:Whoever comes in has to be 'better' than Wilder... There is no-one on the out of work manager's [sic] list, who is a realistic target, that [sic] I would like to work here.
Quite, hence my suggestion that Mickey Lewis (and/or Chrissy Allen) until the end of the season might be the least-worst option - appointing from within is a risk-averse choice, but it might be the shrewd choice in the long-term if it means we get to the summer and are either promoted or can appoint from a stronger field of candidates.

My other suggestion, way back on p1 of this thread, was Hope Powell - and I was surprised no-one commented on that. Is she an unrealistic choice? She must want to get back into management, and surely we'd be the right sort of club for that if she wanted to establish her credentials in the men's game away from the media spotlight? Maybe it is unrealistic, but surely not massively so?

I agree about all the other names though - Martin Allen, O'Driscoll, Penney etc all sound pretty uninspiring. Tisdale the best of a bad bunch amongst the bookies' favourites. I'd love Justin Edinburgh, but he'd never leave Newport for us.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
theox wrote:Whoever comes in has to be 'better' than Wilder... There is no-one on the out of work manager's [sic] list, who is a realistic target, that [sic] I would like to work here.
Quite, hence my suggestion that Mickey Lewis (and/or Chrissy Allen) until the end of the season might be the least-worst option - appointing from within is a risk-averse choice, but it might be the shrewd choice in the long-term if it means we get to the summer and are either promoted or can appoint from a stronger field of candidates.

My other suggestion, way back on p1 of this thread, was Hope Powell - and I was surprised no-one commented on that. Is she an unrealistic choice? She must want to get back into management, and surely we'd be the right sort of club for that if she wanted to establish her credentials in the men's game away from the media spotlight? Maybe it is unrealistic, but surely not massively so?

I agree about all the other names though - Martin Allen, O'Driscoll, Penney etc all sound pretty uninspiring. Tisdale the best of a bad bunch amongst the bookies' favourites. I'd love Justin Edinburgh, but he'd never leave Newport for us.
Hope Powell may well be a good coach, but I doubt she knows the men's game well enough for a managerial position in the Football League.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Hope Powell?!
I've heard it all now.....
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
CW was pretty uninspiring to be fair.

Edinburgh seems to have played some pretty dour negative football at Newport from what I have heard (and seeing Newport at home). I am not sure that this is what we want now!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Paul Cooper wrote:Edinburgh seems to have played some pretty dour negative football at Newport from what I have heard (and seeing Newport at home). I am not sure that this is what we want now!
Horses for courses. He gets the best out of the players he has. I've seen them quite a few times over the last two years, and they're nothing like as agricultural as people on here suggest. Irrelevant though, as there's no way he'd leave them for Oxford at the moment.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

What we probably want is a League One manager, but just our luck, there are none on the free market at the moment.

If we can't get someone demonstrably better (e.g. has a 'level' somewhere around the top of League One or the middle of the Championship), then we might as well stick with what we've got. Especially as the transfer window's almost closed and we don't have any money.

Some of the names on this list are pretty terrifying though! http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/oxford-united - I'm tempted to put twenty quid on Di Canio at 33/1 because he's bound to make a lot of noise at some point and bring those odds down for a lovely little hedge. Or I'll be able to afford the shotgun and shells (for use on myself, in case anyone construes this as an internet threat...)
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Paul Cooper wrote:CW was pretty uninspiring to be fair.
The difference being that CW had not recently failed at a job (or even several jobs like some of the names being touted now) prior to joining us. Halifax went bust and he went to work with Knill at Bury before getting Oxford job.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

[quote="SmileyMan"]What we probably want is a League One manager, but just our luck, there are none on the free market at the moment.

If we can't get someone demonstrably better (e.g. has a 'level' somewhere around the top of League One or the middle of the Championship), then we might as well stick with what we've got. Especially as the transfer window's almost closed and we don't have any money.

Some of the names on this list are pretty terrifying though! http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/oxford-united - I'm tempted to put twenty quid on Di Canio at 33/1 because he's bound to make a lot of noise at some point and bring those odds down for a lovely little hedge. Or I'll be able to afford the shotgun and shells (for use on myself, in case anyone construes this as an internet threat...)[/quote]

Erm, Sean o'driscoll is a l1 manager and currently a free agent I believe.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

SmileyMan wrote:What we probably want is a League One manager, but just our luck, there are none on the free market at the moment.

Some of the names on this list are pretty terrifying though! http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/oxford-united - I'm tempted to put twenty quid on Di Canio at 33/1 because he's bound to make a lot of noise at some point and bring those odds down for a lovely little hedge. Or I'll be able to afford the shotgun and shells (for use on myself, in case anyone construes this as an internet threat...)
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Well he was! And Peter Reid was a Premiership manager!

(I don't know who to get, I like Tisdale's dress sense and the way his side plays, I like Paul Sturrock's tight-lipped supremo act, I would have said Ian Holloway but he's just got a job and we probably couldn't afford him)