Who ya gonna call...?

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re: Who ya gonna call...?

Post by Ancient Colin »

I'm prob in the Tisdale camp, too, if not strongly or with any great conviction, but we probably should raise the question as to why these managers would want to come here, with the lack of ownership of the ground, financial losses and overhanging debt and dwindling crowds. We like to think of ourselves as a sleeping giant, but I doubt that's the perception outside. We're a handful of points off auto promotion and we got a crowd only a handful higher than AFCW or Hartlepool for example.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Surely an issue that will influence the 'who' is the 'on what sort of contract'? Will IL go for a deliberately interim manager (eg Mickey Lewis) until the end of the season, go for a 'proper' manager but on an initial short term contract and with clauses for extension based on position at the end of this season, or just go straight in for an 18 month or longer contract from the off? Cannot see anybody of any real calibre coming on anything other than the last of these three options (unless they are overpaid to entice them to take the second option).
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I kind of fancy Paul Ince - sure he was crap in the Premiership, but he got MK Dons out of this League, and held his own in League One the first time around.

There's no point in suggesting anyone who's under contract - we can't afford the compensation.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Ancient Colin wrote:I'm prob in the Tisdale camp, too, if not strongly or with any great conviction, but we probably should raise the question as to why these managers would want to come here, with the lack of ownership of the ground, financial losses and overhanging debt and dwindling crowds. We like to think of ourselves as a sleeping giant, but I doubt that's the perception outside. We're a handful of points off auto promotion and we got a crowd only a handful higher than AFCW or Hartlepool for example.
i think we inevitably think of ourselves as a more attractive club than we are.

however, i would say points in our favour for any prospective manager are a decent chance to have a promotion on your CV, demonstrable potential for good attendances, finances (while lenagan continues to support the debt) are better than many clubs, as i understand it the budget is top seven/ten (depending on who you listen to, but that still means more than the majority of the teams in the division).

tisdale i could see as being interested - exeter supporters seem to be suffering from a similar ennui as a good number of oxford supporters seem to have had with their longish serving manager, and i should think the budget at oxford is bigger.

one issue that i'm sure will be a deal-breaker, and for some managers will be seen as a good thing, others a bad, is buying into the long-term vision of the club: sports science, youth development, contact with the supporters.

oh, and i basically agree with GY: proper considered recruitment process, but i also think that would probably show tisdale to be the best candidate if he were considered. although i'd like to see a clause into his contract banning cravats.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Interesting that people are tipping Martin Allen especially as he was at the Kassam last Tuesday.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Another thought: James Beattie? He doesn't have his coaching badges (yet), and that's obviously an issue - but he's turned things round at Accrington wvery quickly and got the most out of a very average bunch of players. Given that our new manager will come in after the transfer window has closed (probably) and will need to get the most out of a very average bunch of players in just a few months if we're to get promoted, he might be a good shout.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Anyone* but Martin Allen. I cannot stand the bloke plus his managerial career features a lot of short-term survival jobs rather than much in the way of genuine success.

*I don't really mean anyone but I really don't like Martin Allen.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Notwithstanding my post(s) above, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Lenagan may give Mickey Lewis until the end of the season. And the more I think about it, why not?

* It'd give some stability at a time when we're in a decent position
* It'd give a chance to a solid young coach with good knowledge of the club and the respect of the supporters
* It would mean someone was in place straight away - so he could make a signing or two before the end of the window
* If he didn't win promotion, then a new manager coming in during the summer would have time to work with the squad before competitive games came along
* It shows the backroom staff that there is career progression for them at Oxford United, which gives everyone a boost

I won't pretend there aren't down-sides too, but in many ways it could be the shrewdest move.

LEWIS IN! :)
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I would prefer O'Driscoll but Tisdale would be a good choice.

He is probably getting stale at Exeter and like CW it is probably time for him to move on.

I don't agree that IL should keep ML in charge for the rest of the season. We are in a really good position in the league and need to try and get up this season if we can. I know that it was a long time ago, but when ML was last caretaker manager he didn't look the part. He will have learned more now, but for me we need to get the person in that we want as soon as possible within a sensible recruitment process.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Notwithstanding my post(s) above, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Lenagan may give Mickey Lewis until the end of the season. And the more I think about it, why not?
The fans would see straight through that one - Mickey is part of the problem
in my view and therefore cannot be part of the solution.

I remember Mickey being in caretaker charge in 1999/2000 - it was dire, turgid, boring garbage. Fear Football !
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

SO'D it for me..
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:I remember Mickey being in caretaker charge in 1999/2000 - it was dire, turgid, boring garbage. Fear Football !
As I posted on another thread, under Lewis' last spell we actually went the first 11 games unbeaten, including that 2-1 win on telly at the Madejski, and drawing 1-1 at Premiership Nottm Forest. And that was after five straight losses at the end of Shotton's tenure. Pretty impressive really.

However, we did then slump badly, losing 8 of our next 11 before DNEMSO was brought back for his second stint. I can't say I remember too much about the games themselves, but I do recall the team being booed (and worse) off the pitch at Brentford after a particularly spineless ZDS cup defeat, and Mickey looking rather shocked at the abuse.

So actually history shows that he could galvanise the team and have a good short-term impact. Let's hope so. But that maybe he's not the man for the whole season. However, this was all 14 years ago, and a lot has happened both to OUFC and (presumably) to Mickey Lewis in that time.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote:So actually history shows that he could galvanise the team and have a good short-term impact. Let's hope so. But that maybe he's not the man for the whole season. However, this was all 14 years ago, and a lot has happened both to OUFC and (presumably) to Mickey Lewis in that time.
I think that's the point, really. He has some first-hand managerial experience back in the mists of time - but his qualifications are more based on how he has fared as a coach and how well-suited he is to get us promoted this year.

Now, by all accounts he is well-respected by the players, and he obviously knows the group well. Yes, he will have played a role in the negative Wilder tactics from which has arisen our home record - but we don't know how much Lewis will have agreed with those tactics. If he can get a win on Tuesday and then again at the weekend, all whilst bringing in a player (or two) who might fit in well with the group we have and show he has a clear strategy for winning promotion, why not?

To me, the list of names which have been bandied about so far is pretty uninspiring. Lenagan may pull a rabbit out of a hat (how many of us expected him to appoint Wilder last time?), but if there is no obvious saviour, Mickey Lewis until May could be worth a shot.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I'd probably like Sean O'Driscoll, but that's based on not very much knowledge.

Mickey Lewis would seem a fairly uninspiring choice. Every time we go the unproven route, it seems to end in tears fairly fast.

As long as it's not di Canio. I'd probably avoid OUFC if he were appointed.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

From memory Mickey Lewis is a big fan of 5-3-2 so brace yourselves for that one (especially with our 3 centre halves).

A mate of mine is a gills supporter, he wasn't very complimentary about Martin Allen, good at first but then his crazy ideas and abbrasive attitude alienated players, fans and staff in the end. Might be a shout for a 6 month contract to see if he can get us promoted this year, but can't see IL appointed anyone for 6 months. Would have thought he'd be a good man for Northampton...

Slightly sad to see Wilder go, he was a safe pair of hands, although I think he lacked the necessary risk taking mentality to get us promoted automatically - he might have done it eventually but would have needed luck with injuries etc.
His decision to join Northampton is both safety first and high risk, safety in terms of contract length (3.5 years I heard) but high risk as he could be back in the conference this time next year, mid table and looking down the barrel.