Homophobia

Anything yellow and blue
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Homophobia

Post by Matt D »

tomoufc wrote:I've emailed OxVox about it, but have been a bit dissapointed with the response so far. Is anyone here a member, or even a committee member, of OxVox? If so I'd like to send you a message about it, rather than post what could be quite unfounded criticism about them on the internet!
me (to both).

sorry you were disappointed. i wasn't aware of the email, so i'm not sure what the issue was, but happy to discuss it.

matt.
tts back

Post by tts back »

FFS.............sticks and stones....remember that saying????

football is becoming a stale pc fecking love in.........to be honest i'm seriously thinking of not bothering anymore.

ooooooo cue the "you wont be missed etc"............ YOURE GAY AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :roll:
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

tts back wrote:FFS.............sticks and stones....remember that saying????

football is becoming a stale pc fecking love in.........to be honest i'm seriously thinking of not bothering anymore.

ooooooo cue the "you wont be missed etc"............ YOURE GAY AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :roll:
The phrase "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" doesn't mean it's fine to say horrible or offensive things, it's supposed to help people who have had horrible things said to them cope. Just because people don't want other people to be offensive in public does not mean that they're pc.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Waaayyyy! Post of the thread. Take your homophobic abuse elsewhere. Cornmarket street springs to mind. It'll be far more than twigs and pebbles hurled at you mate :)
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Matt D wrote:
tomoufc wrote:I've emailed OxVox about it, but have been a bit dissapointed with the response so far. Is anyone here a member, or even a committee member, of OxVox? If so I'd like to send you a message about it, rather than post what could be quite unfounded criticism about them on the internet!
me (to both).

sorry you were disappointed. i wasn't aware of the email, so i'm not sure what the issue was, but happy to discuss it.

matt.
Thanks Matt. I've PMd you
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

You ask whether a Football versus Homophobia campaign would be successful. Perhaps if there was a joint campaign against sexism, racism, bad language and homophobia under the common banner of Football versus Offensive Behaviour you might get sufficient numbers involved to make a difference.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Football supporters are being warned that abuse of players or fellow fans on online social media is being targeted this season by police and prosecutors.

New guidelines http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/assets/uploa ... policy.pdf
for tackling hooligans in England and Wales also address homophobic chanting for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23796712

Interesting also to read that the police get paid when they issue banning orders
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 72746.html

and we knew this already, but smoke bombs and flares are also worthy of both prison sentences and banning orders
http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/ban-the-bomb
tts back

Post by tts back »

Geoff wrote:You ask whether a Football versus Homophobia campaign would be successful. Perhaps if there was a joint campaign against sexism, racism, bad language and homophobia under the common banner of Football versus Offensive Behaviour you might get sufficient numbers involved to make a difference.
ooooooooooooooooooo dont forget the nasty people who stand up..........fucking PATHETIC!!!!! :roll:
tts back

Post by tts back »

tomoufc wrote:

Waaayyyy! Post of the thread. Take your homophobic abuse elsewhere. Cornmarket street springs to mind. It'll be far more than twigs and pebbles hurled at you mate :)
oh dear the gay pride brigade speaks out..................looooool :lol:
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Puerile. Unsophisticated and not funny.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

tts back wrote:
Geoff wrote:You ask whether a Football versus Homophobia campaign would be successful. Perhaps if there was a joint campaign against sexism, racism, bad language and homophobia under the common banner of Football versus Offensive Behaviour you might get sufficient numbers involved to make a difference.
ooooooooooooooooooo dont forget the nasty people who stand up..........fucking PATHETIC!!!!! :roll:
Thank you for making the point so perfectly.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I think TT is one of those odd people who stands around the away end after the match ...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm pretty sure that TT is the only user ever to have been banned from this forum (for racist obscenity), so I'm not really sure why he's still allowed to post here.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Whatever the job or sector, I always find positive discrimination hard to deal with. If people are good, or a person who puts a team together feels their staff are good enough, then that should be the end of it. I mean, or starting 11 this season is hardly the most racially diverse bunch, with 'ginger' being about the only colour group with a significant presence aside from white and male in there!! But no one is calling for the club to increase its quota of black or Asian players as it might put potential supporters from those backgrounds off coming to watch us play. Maybe it's because of where I now sit (ssu) but I don't hear many, if any, homophobic comments and I can't remember hearing any when I was in om stand or behind the goal at away games. I may be wrong, but I'd argue that there isn't an issue to be addressed. If I was gay, I wouldn't feel threatened at matches (come and sit in the ssu where there isn't abuse) nor would I feel turned off by the lack of (openly) gay playing staff, in the same way that if I wasn't white and male (ginger and bald to us the current xi as an example) I wouldn't be put off coming to watch our current team play.

I want the best the players on the pitch, whatever background, race, religion or sexual orientation they may be and I don't think the atmosphere at the club is against the same attitude towards fellow supporters, too. You may disagree (I'm a straight white middle class male, so what do I have to worry about, hey!) but for me, as a supporter who travels from Central London to home games and sits in the ssu, I would have no issues about bring a gay friend to a match, confident in the fact they wouldn't feel uncomfortable at any stage of the afternoon.

Ergo, is there even an issue to address?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

RecordMeister - a considered post, but with respect I think you've missed the point slightly.

No-one is suggesting positive discrimination - but I think if OUFC has a gay player (which is statistically likely), they'll be far less likely to feel comfortable in coming out because of the sorts of attitudes discussed above. And that's a shame - why should anyone feel they have to hide an element of their character over which they have no control?