New Players?

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: New Players?

Post by OUFC4eva »

Asa Hall on a six month loan - have we learned nothing?

However I am completely dismayed if we are signing
Tom Newey. A bog standard and aging left back who
Must be cheap.

I am really disappointed in CW with these moves if they
happen.

Newey is a shocker - appalling business and worse than Capaldi IMHO.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:Asa Hall on a six month loan - have we learned nothing?

However I am completely dismayed if we are signing
Tom Newey. A bog standard and aging left back who
Must be cheap.

I am really disappointed in CW with these moves if they
happen.

Newey is a shocker - appalling business and worse than Capaldi IMHO.
Definitely agree re Hall. He wasn't good enough first time around. Left because he didn't like the pay offer. Went away and got released for not being good enough and now we're signing him again. Oh dear. Not very clever.

I know nothing about Newey, other than what I can find via Google. Seems to be a bit of a journeyman of the lower divisions. Not sure that will be a step forward either, but benefit of the doubt and all that.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Meades is a left back isn't he? So Newey is probably LB/CB cover. I notice that Liam Davis (one of the best footballers we've had for a while) is still without a club.

Not particularly impressed with re-signing Asa Hall, but hopefully we're not paying too much for him, and he's also cover. However Wilder used to pick him on a regular basis even when he was not playing well, so we'll see. At least he scores a few from midfield.

I have a suspicion that we went all out to get Kitson, and having got him we're having to slightly make do in other areas with a limited budget. But that may well be unfair, and I'll reserve judgement until we've finished our transfer business and seen them all play. We haven't got much competiton for places at centre back have we? Or out wide come to think of it, unless we're reverting to 4-3-3 next season.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I agree with the above re Hall. He wasn't good enough.

Regarding Newey he seems to have played a lot of games in league 1 last year.

It seems to me that we have decided to go for a couple of big players and there are a coupe of positions where we have taken the cheap option. Rumours that we are in for other 'star' players- it will be interesting to see,

Like kernow yellow I have a fear that we may be reverting back to a 4 3 3 next season based on the way that the squad is takign shape.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

If it is the case that we have gone all out for one/a few marquee signings and will make up the numbers with the likes of Asa Hall, that is a hugely risky strategy. If Kitson either gets injured or does not perform as we would hope, then there is less to fall back on.

While I understand budget constraints, CW should be looking at the Rob Hall/JFC end of the market - young, hungry, talented players from Premier League/Championship who won't be on that much money and whose parent clubs will, presumably, cover a large proportion of their wages. Asa Hall on loan smacks of desperation
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

did anybody else see the tweet on facebook last night of Sergio torres asking emiliano diaz about oxford utd :?: :?:
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Defence is a collective effort, so the sooner the first choice unit is established and training together the better.

Won't judge a player till I see them. Newey has shown reliability in playing a good number of games in recent seasons. This would appear to be what Wilder is after. Good that he participated in the marine camp.

Shocked about Hall. Would rather wait, look at some trialists (which could include Hall), even check with S***don on Cox in a few weeks before rushing a decision on additional midfielders or forwards.

Also, the versatility of Whing and Meades gives Wilder flexibility in balancing the squad.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

andy james womble wrote:did anybody else see the tweet on facebook last night of Sergio torres asking emiliano diaz about oxford utd :?: :?:

It was also on Twitter on Friday night

Emiliano vos viniste con tu viejo cuando dirigió en el Oxford United d Inglaterra?M gustaría saber tu experiencia acá abrazo

Basically he's asking what was your experiences of Oxford United in England when you were over here with your Dad.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Another unsubstantiated rumour is that we are vying for the services of Mark Roberts from Stevenage.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

mark roberts turned down a move to Slumdon yesterday
according to the Slumdon Advertiser.
andy james womble
Brat

Matt sparrow will not be coming to oxford as rumoured he is going back to sunny scunthorpe
andy james womble
Brat

Just had tweet we have signed newey and hall
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Woe betide if you are unfortunate to have more than six letters in your surname

(you won't be playing!)

Clarke, Brown, Whing, Newey, Hall, Hunt, Davies, Wright, Raynes, Potter, Meades, Rigg,
Rose, Kitson, Shama, Lynn, Marsh, O'Dowda...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Apparently Twatter is awash with the news that we have taken Matt Tubbs on loan.

Having said that I can't find any references myself but I am notoriously rubbish with Twatter.
andy james womble
Brat

I followed his account about ten days ago and nothing has been posted at all