League 1 Poll

Anything yellow and blue

Are we good enough for promotion?

1. We would only need to bring in a few players and we would be successful in League 1.
No votes
2. I'm not sure.
25%
3. We would be better off building for another season in League 2.
75%

Total votes: 8

Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

League 1 Poll

Post by Geoff »

Am I the only person who is not keen on getting promoted this season? Don't get me wrong if we get to Wembley I'll be shouting myself hoarse with the best of them! But I have a niggling worry that promotion this season might do more harm than good. We don't have the nucleus of a potential League 1 side and relegation could have a knock-on effect. We would have to bring in too many players to form an effective League 1 squad and I for one think we'd be better off building for another season in League 2. Mind you, the way things are going it may not be an option!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: League 1 Poll

Post by Radley Rambler »

Geoff

I haven't voted because the option I would vote for:

'Whether or not we get promoted, there will be a very different starting XI in August' isn't there.

No criticism but I think that will be the reality.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Thanks for making the effort to post up the poll as it's electronically tricky to do!

My vote won't count in the final total as I'm going to abstain.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I think L1 is very unlikely, and agree that we will probably see a radically different side in August: Wright, Constable, Clarke, Rigg, perhaps Davis or Whing to survive.

There is something inherently depressing about the new league - new side assumption in today's game, although I know I am just a nostalgic old romantic. Stevenage kept their promotion side, I think - but I wouldn't want to play Stevenageball!
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Am I the only person who is not keen on getting promoted this season?
I would absolutely love us to get promotion but I'm afraid that it won't happen. You never know what may happen if you go up. Unfortunately it won't happen ...
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:Am I the only person who is not keen on getting promoted this season? Don't get me wrong if we get to Wembley I'll be shouting myself hoarse with the best of them! But I have a niggling worry that promotion this season might do more harm than good. We don't have the nucleus of a potential League 1 side and relegation could have a knock-on effect. We would have to bring in too many players to form an effective League 1 squad and I for one think we'd be better off building for another season in League 2. Mind you, the way things are going it may not be an option!
Personally I'm of the mindset that it's NEVER a bad thing to get promoted and that as a cliche it's a bit of a misnomer, assuming we are financially managed well, to suggest there is any value in 'building' down in the basement.

Were we to get there by the skin o' our teeth, then at least we are in the more privileged position of at least being competitive for better players, and in theory the financial rewards should be greater - so even a season at a higher standard should be sought after, even if the grand plan is for success to be sustainable. We could 'build' forever in Div 4 and never make it. Agreed - our squad is way off and 6-10 players required to make it Div 3-proof - but last year's promotees prove that success can snowball, even if some of their gains are more ill-gotten than other's.

So - my vote is for another option - we should ALWAYS strive for promotion, even if we're patently never going to make it, even if this present squad couldn't cut it up a standard. No value at all in settling for this present-day terrible mediocrity.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Agree with BigC - I think I'd always prefer to go up and try to stay up, rather than take the risk on getting up again next time, as we all know how easily a promotion push can be derailed however prepared a club thinks they are - injuries, over-confidence, other clubs investing even more, etc - in the same way that the going down to come back up stronger argument is a massive risk not worth taking.
I think generally staying up is easier than getting up!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:I think generally staying up is easier than getting up!
As our dear friends at Loo-Town are now finding out, ha ha ha...!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:I think generally staying up is easier than getting up!
As our dear friends at Loo-Town are now finding out, ha ha ha...!
Indeed, along with ourselves too of course