Cymry Llundain

Anything yellow and blue
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Cymry Llundain

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I actually quite like rugby as a spectator sport, but find it almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion with anyone wearing a replica rugby shirt. Also, you say football is badly run, but surely you're not holding the RFU up as some beacon of common sense and trustworthiness?
Well, the RFU is as bad as the FA, especially at the national level, but the work they do with grassroots club and kids rugby is lightyears ahead of the football equivalent. And the IRB is in a completely different galaxy to the dinosaurs of FIFA.

And I'll admit that some of the cliches that rugby fans come out with when asked (or not!) to comment on football are a bit tired. Maybe we need a campaign - &quothug a rugger bugger&quot to promote some harmony? Anyway, if you want to make steam come out of their ears, just say 'Of course, it's not as exciting as Rugby League, is it?'
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

In an ideal world IL would buy the Stadium and Conference Centre for the agreed fixed price of £13m (like he keeps saying he will do) and maybe even bring his highly successful Warriors down from Wigan to play at Minchery Farm rather than renting up North at the DW Stadium. However, in the real world of Oxford United then our Rent Boy owner is legally stuffed because there is no incentive whatsoever to keep the pitch nice for football so Firoka will only be looking at a few extra bags of grass seed next season to compensate for the extra income derived from the Wugby.

No worries from me because if we keep hoofing it up long then the pitch quality won’t make any difference and who wants to be as ‘boring’ as Spain are?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote: Anyway, if you want to make steam come out of their ears, just say 'Of course, it's not as exciting as Rugby League, is it?'
Don't worry, I make a point of saying that whenever possible :D

Back to the topic - I see London Welsh hope to achieve crowds of 5-10,000 at the Kassam by building up a fanbase among rugby-loving locals. Surely if they want to do that, dropping the 'London' from their name might be a good idea?

I still can only see negatives to this from OUFC's point of view:
- our pitch may well suffer
- our attendances might suffer as some of those locals that do like both sports might decide that Premiership Rugby is a more attractive proposition than basement division football (cf Howlands passim)
- the stadium might feel even less like 'ours' than it already does, as presumably some LW branding will appear
- the prospect of the stadium ever becoming 'ours' might become more remote, as a rugby tenant increases the value.

I note that OUFC don't seem to be saying much thus far.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:In an ideal world IL would buy the Stadium and Conference Centre for the agreed fixed price of £13m (like he keeps saying he will do) and maybe even bring his highly successful Warriors down from Wigan to play at Minchery Farm rather than renting up North at the DW Stadium. However, in the real world of Oxford United then our Rent Boy owner is legally stuffed because there is no incentive whatsoever to keep the pitch nice for football so Firoka will only be looking at a few extra bags of grass seed next season to compensate for the extra income derived from the Wugby.

No worries from me because if we keep hoofing it up long then the pitch quality won’t make any difference and who wants to be as ‘boring’ as Spain are?
Ever since Chris Wilder's been the manager we've always tried not to &quotkeep hoofing up long&quot and keep it on the ground as much as reasonably possible. In fact last season I'd say our goals were well spread out between crosses, free kicks (mainly indirect), shots from range and one on ones from through balls unless they count as &quothoofs&quot (eg Rendell's goal v Rotherham). This however is a seperate argument to what this thread's about.

On the topic of the ground move I think the last obstacle for Welsh is out of the way, Newcastle Falcons will not appeal: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18686757
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:In an ideal world IL would buy the Stadium and Conference Centre for the agreed fixed price of £13m (like he keeps saying he will do) and maybe even bring his highly successful Warriors down from Wigan to play at Minchery Farm rather than renting up North at the DW Stadium. However, in the real world of Oxford United then our Rent Boy owner is legally stuffed because there is no incentive whatsoever to keep the pitch nice for football so Firoka will only be looking at a few extra bags of grass seed next season to compensate for the extra income derived from the Wugby.

Ever since Chris Wilder's been the manager we've always tried not to &quotkeep hoofing up long&quot and keep it on the ground as much as reasonably possible. In fact last season I'd say our goals were well spread out between crosses, free kicks (mainly indirect), shots from range and one on ones from through balls unless they count as &quothoofs&quot (eg Rendell's goal v Rotherham). This however is a seperate argument to what this thread's about.

On the topic of the ground move I think the last obstacle for Welsh is out of the way, Newcastle Falcons will not appeal: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18686757
‘Praps it’s just me being out of touch as I only saw Us play about a dozen games last season, but in the main Wilder’s tactics looked like hoofball to me. But maybe that’s the way to get out of League II these days so I’m not knocking the style if that’s what’s best in order to go up, just saying that playing on a pile of mud like we used to in our heyday is not such a bad thing.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

The London Welsh fixtures have been released now. Their first game is at the KasStad on Sunday 2nd September and will be shown live on Sky.

Full list:

2nd Sept London Welsh v Leicester Tigers The Kassam Stadium
7/8/9 Sep Harlequins v London Welsh Twickenham Stoop
14/15/16 Sep London Welsh v Exeter Chiefs The Kassam Stadium
21/22/23 Sep Sale Sharks v London Welsh City Stadium
28/29/30 Sep London Welsh v Gloucester Rugby The Kassam Stadium
5/6/7 Oct Saracens v London Welsh Vicarage Road
26/27/28 Oct London Wasps v London Welsh Adams Park
2/3/4 Nov London Welsh v Bath Rugby The Kassam Stadium
23/24/25 Nov Northampton Saints v London Welsh Franklin's Gardens
30 Nov, 1/2 Dec London Welsh v London Irish The Kassam Stadium
21/22/23 Dec Worcester Warriors v London Welsh Sixways
28/29/30 Dec London Welsh v London Wasps The Kassam Stadium
4/5/6 Jan London Welsh v Harlequins The Kassam Stadium
8/9/10 Feb Leicester Tigers v London Welsh Welford Road
15/16/17 Feb London Welsh v Sale Sharks The Kassam Stadium
22/23/24 Feb Exeter Chiefs v London Welsh Sandy Park
1/2/3 Mar London Welsh v Saracens The Kassam Stadium
22/23/24 Mar Gloucester Rugby v London Welsh Kingsholm
29/30/31 Mar Bath Rugby v London Welsh Recreation Ground
12/13/14 Apr London Welsh v Northampton Saints The Kassam Stadium
19/20/21 Apr London Irish v London Welsh Madejski Stadium
3/4/5 May London Welsh v Worcester Warriors The Kassam Stadium
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

If you know little or nothing about egg chasing (like me) there here are what the bookies think of LW's chances next season - http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/ ... hip/winner
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Aside from unknown cup fixtures, Saturday 5 January v Burton and Saturday 2 March v Port Vale could be problematic.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I don't think £13m has been the agreed fixed price for a long time.

In an ideal world, FK would drop his asking price to a sensible level, allowing IL or better still the football club to buy the stadium without losing money hand over fist.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

I don't think £13m has been the agreed fixed price for a long time.

In an ideal world, FK would drop his asking price to a sensible level, allowing IL or better still the football club to buy the stadium without losing money hand over fist.
£13m is indeed still the 'legal' asking price, so if IL won't buy now Minchery Farm then he never will given the extra income from LW (which I think will be short term only). However, I'm confused about what you mean about the &quotfootball club&quot as IL owns it.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I don't think £13m has been the agreed fixed price for a long time.
Can you add some substance to that statement as all I have in terms of evidence are the legal documents? I ask because as I stated earlier I'm way out of touch with OUFC issues recently.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotTT&quot wrote:Will LW be sharing the rent????....cant see it...the only &quotperson&quot that will benefit will be that dirty conniving piece of sh1t Ka$$am....i curse that cunt every day and hope one day my curse will work.
I know what you feel and want to say, but this board has a level of etiquette.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotTT&quot wrote:Will LW be sharing the rent????....cant see it...the only &quotperson&quot that will benefit will be that dirty conniving piece of sh1t Ka$$am....i curse that cunt every day and hope one day my curse will work.
I know what you feel and want to say, but this board has a level of etiquette.
Since when? There's only one word censored on here. And bad grammar, of course.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

We can't have people dropping the C-bomb all over the place.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Is TT the Edward Hyde to Godalming Yellow's Dr. Henry Jekyll?