what a (yester)DAY

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

what a (yester)DAY

Post by Baboo »

I didn’t think St Albans were anywhere as near as bad as Northwich but we could have had a bucketful and more against them. Our finishing should really have been better. In the end though we did it the hard way – it’s not fair to play with XI when we are so obviously superior.

When we conceded I didn’t think there was any way we would come back and win that game. I looked at what we had up front and thought – no way. Yemi was dead on his feet, although he did keep summoning up extra bursts of energy from somewhere &amp Burgess who was pushed up too is not a proper striker. But Day epitomised the belief and endeavour that is running through the whole team. Sheer determination got him that goal. What a moment. And although we still may not have a 20 goal a season man it is good to see the goals being shared out by so many players. Perhaps we have a few 10 goal a season men in our ranks. That would do nicely.

My man of the match was Anaclet – he was a threat all through &amp didn’t tire this time. Nor was he caught out defensively. Pettifer wasn’t far behind. He did a lot of steady work. Then there was the usual sublime skill of Burgess – perhaps he tried a little too hard to recreate his wonder goal though.

Typical – the striker we have been crying out for (is he the one?) gets injured and Johnson will be missed too. Let’s hope they are not out too long. But the spirit in the camp in such that any of the first team squad will come in and do a job.
Last edited by Baboo on Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I thought we looked very potent while Marvin was on the pitch, not quite so after he left. We are fitter than any other side in this league and that will stand us in good stead this season.

Apparently Marvin has a (probable) fracture in one finger and dislocations in some others (and he was looking a bit faint)

He should be OK for the next game.

6200 ish for a midweek game is awesome and as Jim said in the NLP, if we are still riding this high in April next year then we will be getting crowds of 10,000 or more.

I can't wait
Last edited by A-Ro on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I think the PR machine might help bring about a very large crowd for the Grays match.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

A good performance last night, with just a couple of short spells of sitting back unnecessarily.

Several candidates for MoM, Anaclet had his best game yet and is starting to have the confidence to turn the full back both ways. Pettefer covered every blade of grass twice over and got in numerous tackles. Hargreaves had an excellent game with really good distribution and tackling until the sending off.

New signing Robinson looked threatening in the air. I thought he had dislocated his wrist judging by the direction his hand was pointing in when he came off, but it could easily have been only his fingers (only! gulp!).

Referee was absolute pants, accompanied by linesmen who were absolute knickers. Loads of poor decisions. 3 good penalty claims for Oxford missed. Saints defender not sent off when last man hacking down Odubade. That backpass. Saints goalkeeper apparently taking the ball out for a corner. Blowing for some really innocuous challenges but seemingly allowing very poor and late challeneges go unpunished. Some appalling offisde flags, including one on Odubade when no less than 4 defenders were playing him onside (direclty in line with where I sit).

I'm not going to comment on the Hargreaves red card until I get to see a replay, except to say from where I was sitting, Hargreaves came away with the ball, and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I've spoken to others who think his foot was high though. If so it won't be the first time.

St Albans were a hard working team whose part time status appears to affect their fitness. They don't have any star players, though their number 9 had an excellent game, but as a team they pass the ball well and only hit it long when they have to.

For my money, we were generally stronger, faster, fitter and more talented in all positions, and for long spells we dominated.

Very poor defending by Gilly for their goal. His feet were rooted to the spot and he didn't even jump to challenge.

Very poor finishing by Odubade when 1 on 1 with their keeper. I would have backed myself to score.

Generally Duffy was a bit below par, as was Gilly, as was Quinn. But none of them had terrible games, just slightly lesser performances.

Very pleased at this early and unextrapolatable point in the season to be ToTL. Its so much more fun when you're winning.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

From my view I thought Hargreaves lunged in with two raised feet, showing his studs.

Along with fact that he was lucky not to be sent off, or even booked, for his appalling first half scissor tackle, I don't think he can have any complaints.

Agree we clearly the better side but....... they did have the clearest penalty decision of the season turned down just before the end.

And when is a back pass a backpass? Is it when he goes backwards or whatever direction it travels?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

And when is a player truly offside? That offside goal should have been allowed because once the goalie had touched it onto the bar everyone was, by defenition, on side and available to knock it in.

What part of that law didn't the ref and the linos understand?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I think we can all agree that the ref had a terrible game (at least by the standards that most fans expect - perhaps it was a normal game for him) but I think the decisions probably evened themselves out over the game.

You could argue that the ref's ineptitude was what got the crowd (and the players) going to create one of the best games I've seen at Oxford for years. Great atmosphere, coming back from 2 body blows to win the game and we end up top of the league at the end of it all.

What really impresses me about the team/squad this season is the belief and determination to fight to the final whistle. Last season we would have lost that game and the one away at Dagenham after going down to 10 men and we would also have lost the Weymouth game.

We even came from behind to win away at Burton which is also unheard of in recent history.

If Kassam was to blame for our inability to gain promotion and the eventual relegation then its only fair that Merry is congratulated for the current state of affairs. Long may it continue.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Maybe the ref's decisions did even themselves out but he clearly had it in for Robinson. There were three bad fouls on him before his ingury and when he tacked back fairly, the idiot blew for a foul. I'm sure this lack of protection encouraged the Saint's defender to clatter him for a fourth time.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: what a (yester)DAY

Post by Matt D »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Sheer determination got him that goal. What a moment.
agree that the team showed wonderful resilience, but i'm not sure i agree with this! he started his run from in front of where i sit, and to me it looked like he was looking to find a man, but it opened up so he started moving into the space. when it kept opening up he kept going, and by the time st. albans started to try and tackle, he'd almost shrugged a &quotwhy not?&quot rode a tackle and pinged it in!

great goal, but i'm not sure it's what he was thinking of doing when he first got the ball!
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:And when is a player truly offside? That offside goal should have been allowed because once the goalie had touched it onto the bar everyone was, by defenition, on side and available to knock it in.

What part of that law didn't the ref and the linos understand?
Unless, of course, they were off-side from the original shot. Would love to see this again, because first instincts were that it was never off-side.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Guy in front of me said the Lino clearly raised his flag straight after the initial shot.

And he was wearing very thick glasses, so he could obviously see better than me.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Guy in front of me said the Lino clearly raised his flag straight after the initial shot.

And he was wearing very thick glasses, so he could obviously see better than me.
That's my recollection too.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotA-Ro&quot wrote: Unless, of course, they were off-side from the original shot. Would love to see this again, because first instincts were that it was never off-side.
TV pictures did not provide conclusive evidence.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: what a (yester)DAY

Post by Baboo »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Sheer determination got him that goal. What a moment.
agree that the team showed wonderful resilience, but i'm not sure i agree with this! he started his run from in front of where i sit, and to me it looked like he was looking to find a man, but it opened up so he started moving into the space. when it kept opening up he kept going, and by the time st. albans started to try and tackle, he'd almost shrugged a &quotwhy not?&quot rode a tackle and pinged it in!

great goal, but i'm not sure it's what he was thinking of doing when he first got the ball!
But he did keep going. Plenty of weaker wimps that that have appeared in the yellow shirt over the years would never have got that far, never mind have got a shot in, and never mind have got the power behind the shot to beat the keeper with ease.

Perhaps it is down to fitness again, which brings with it belief. Okay then, determination had nothing to do with it.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

actually i saw the goal again on tv last night, and have changed my mind! i really don't remember him starting from that far out. a la the old joke about seeing whether the wayward shot goes in on the replay, he ran further and beat more men on the replay. :lol:

sometimes i wonder if i can ever watch an oxford game from the perspective of an 'objective' football fan - i spend too much time thinking that they're either useless or untouchable.