Bring on the Scum

Anything yellow and blue
SWA
Puberty

Bring on the Scum

Post by SWA »

So, after weeks of discussions etc, it is finally time for THAT game.
Please use this thread to discuss anything in relation to the game
COYY 8)
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Well they have to win don't they? 10 wins in a row and if you listen to some of our supporters we are pretty poor.

I had texts from a couple of friends who are not looking forward to the game- they think thta we will lose.

But..... their rum will not go on for ever. Local Derby's often don't go to form and we are actually 7th having beaten them away.

So all on the day and it will probably depend on which Oxford team turns up, whether we can cope without Wright and whether Levn, Dubes, JC etc play as they can do.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Well they have to win don't they? 10 wins in a row and if you listen to some of our supporters we are pretty poor.I had texts from a couple of friends who are not looking forward to the game- they think thta we will lose.

But..... their rum will not go on for ever. Local Derby's often don't go to form and we are actually 7th having beaten them away.

So all on the day and it will probably depend on which Oxford team turns up, whether we can cope without Wright and whether Levn, Dubes, JC etc play as they can do.
Which is why we'll probably win as no one is expecting us to! They will come out and attack which will suit us better as we struggle to break defensive teams down, however we will need to score at least two goals seeing as we always seem to give an obligatory goal away at home. Injury time winner?

Realistically and objectively, I'll take a draw.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Realistically and objectively, I'll take a draw.
With our home advantage then a draw is how the bookies see it - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... rect-score

Personally, all I'd like to see is an incident packed high scoring game that we don't lose.

In reality it could be as drab as a Vicar's tea party with the usual mass moaning from the Oxford fans about the officials.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Realistically and objectively, I'll take a draw.
With our home advantage then a draw is how the bookies see it - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... rect-score

Personally, all I'd like to see is an incident packed high scoring game that we don't lose.

In reality it could be as drab as a Vicar's tea party with the usual mass moaning from the Oxford fans about the officials.
Some of the officials do bring it on themselves to be fair like.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Most of our fowards out and now Wright and Leven...

Doesn't look good, does it?
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Would imagine Whing and Wilson in the middle and Worley in place of Wright.
Will he risk Chappers in such an important game?
Gutted about Leven
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

The only two possible outcomes:

1) We nick it by a goal and DiC gets sent to the stands for complaining about anything and everything.

2) We get absolutely spanked and DiC gets sent to the stands for overcelebrating.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSWA&quot wrote:Would imagine Whing and Wilson in the middle and Worley in place of Wright.
Will he risk Chappers in such an important game?
I like Whing sitting in front of the back four, especially away from home. Haven't seen this new 4-4-2 formation yet, but a central midfield pairing of Whing and Wilson doesn't inspire me. I'd be very tempted to risk Chapman, given the rave reviews coming out of Newport. Wouldn't be at all surprised (or disappointed) to see a return to 4-3-3. They won't be parking the bus.

All we need now is for Clarkey to crock himself in the pre-match warm-up and our injury misery will be complete. What with their form, this game has got humiliation written all over it. Which is why I think we'll win. We'll need to play our socks off though...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quottheox&quot wrote:The only two possible outcomes:

1) We nick it by a goal and DiC gets sent to the stands for complaining about anything and everything.

2) We get absolutely spanked and DiC gets sent to the stands for overcelebrating.
As the game is a sell out, DiCrapio will have to sit in the car park!
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

**Controversy alert**

Actually, I'm not as fussed about Slumdon as I used to be in the 70s and 80s.

I still don't like the football club, their fans, anything red or indeed the town itself. I once chucked a CV in the bin as soon as I noticed the job applicant came from Wiltshire. I also refused to attend a meeting when I learned that another attendee was a STFC fan, and I sent someone else in my place. (A Gillingham fan, as it happens, and they don't care for STFC either).

But they are top on merit, they are a proper football club with a decent ground, good crowds and play decent football. I have no particular reason to despise Di Canio.

None of which can be applied to Crawley Town or Stevenage. I really dislike everything about them. I certainly don't think they play attractive football, but the media coverage both clubs received prior to the FAC 5th round was sickening. If only they knew. Pleasingly, both clubs have suffered over the last couple of weeks as they try to make up games in hand.

I want to beat STFC on Saturday - I suspect we won't.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I think the aggravation angle will be interesting. Due to the unambitious nature of the decision to not go for the 4th stand and assuming that nearly all the 1,200 or so Scum fans who have a ticket for the game will be normal (apart from the number of toes and fingers etc) season ticket holders then I don’t expect there to be much trouble inside the ground. However, I can see a lot of their more violent compatriots turning up pre-match without tickets, so I think I’ll make a special effort to take up my perch at the back of the SSU much earlier than usual to watch the action in the car park.

p.s. Do we know who the ref will be for this one yet?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I think we need to play Chappers! For me we need 3 in midfield against a team on the form of their's, and seeing as they won't park the bus 2 wingers and 2 strikers isn't necessary. Whing's obviously going to be in the holding role, seeing as Wilson has been on the bench you'd expect him to be in the team, and Chapman is at least quite fit, on form, and a very creative player that has bossed games before. Add to that the fact he'll know what this means as he signed earlier than nearly all the players that will play and the support he'll get from the fans and he's in for me.

Does anyone know Heslop's chances of getting back, and the invovlement of Asa Hall and Paul McLaren at the moment? Because I for one know little about either.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

So much uncertainty on this one. Does anyone know who will start the Hat for this game and what it may be entitled? Will Frank be offering double points for correct Hat predictions? When was the last time you had to set an alarm clock on a Saturday morning just to make 100% sure you get to a home game at Minchery Farm three hours early to really take in the build up?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Do we know who the ref will be for this one yet?
Yes.

GRAHAM SALISBURY (ref)
Neil Radford and Stephen Rubery
Fourth Official Mark Howes