Squad Building

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Squad Building

Post by Swissbloke »

It's getting to that time of year again...

Who's in and who is out of contract?

Who do you want kept in the squad and who/what do you want added?

Here's my thoughts of what may happen...

Staying on

Clarke
Batt
Tonkin
McLaren
Sangare
Wright
Constable
Potter
Worley
Craddock
Burge

Unsure
Clist
Hall
Heslop
Kinniburgh
Eastwood
Hanson
MacLean

Gone
Hackney
Doble
Purkiss
Green
Woodley
Payne
Midson
Deering

Would like:

Right Back
Left Back
2 CB
3 mid
3 strikers

Giving us a squad of 24.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

You can transfer Burge from &quotstaying on&quot to &quotgone&quot.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,1034 ... 11,00.html
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Wilder made it pretty clear that Clist will not be offered a new deal, and he is out of contract, so won't be staying.

Payne, Heslop &amp Hall are all under contract, and I would be very surprised if they all left, or even if two did.

I imagined that Sangare was there for cover only, but given his performance apparently on Saturday, I suppose he might get a contract.

So I think the priorities are about right, but I would be surprised if there were three striker spaces, or three midfield gaps.

I just hope we are not offering too much for Maclean
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

I wouldn't bother with Maclean personally for the wage he'll demand - an expensive liability. I suspect Wilder will try and sign him though. Tonkin is not good enough and needs to go and I'd transfer list Hall as well - too inconsistent. Doble was a pointless signing so late in the season in my opinion as we're unlikely to get him permanently (Southampton rate him and won't let him go cheaply), although I guess we could try and get him on loan again. I think we can assume we're not likely to see Clist, Green, Deering, Midson, Kinniburgh or Purkiss in an Oxford shirt again either. Woodley and Eastwood I'm not sure about, depends on Wilder's thinking. Reading between the lines during recent interviews, I'm not convinced Wilder has any intentions of following up on Hackney.

I rated Burge, so it would be a shame if we didn't sign him but hey ho. Sangare would be useful cover but nothing more. So I personally think as a bare minimum, we need a left back plus cover, cover at right back, at least one centre back, a 'get stuck in' type midfielder and a striker/forward who is comfortable in a wide role (presuming Wilder sticks with 4-3-3).

Does anyone know what the situation with Adam Chapman is (contract wise I mean)?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Agree with JBU: I would let Hall go in preference to anyone else.

Apparently (OM), all is not lost re: Burge - good news, partly because it helps to understand Wilder's thinking, which otherwise would have been a bit chaotic.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:I wouldn't bother with Maclean personally for the wage he'll demand - an expensive liability. I suspect Wilder will try and sign him though. Tonkin is not good enough and needs to go and I'd transfer list Hall as well - too inconsistent. Doble was a pointless signing so late in the season in my opinion as we're unlikely to get him permanently (Southampton rate him and won't let him go cheaply), although I guess we could try and get him on loan again. I think we can assume we're not likely to see Clist, Green, Deering, Midson, Kinniburgh or Purkiss in an Oxford shirt again either. Woodley and Eastwood I'm not sure about, depends on Wilder's thinking. Reading between the lines during recent interviews, I'm not convinced Wilder has any intentions of following up on Hackney.

I rated Burge, so it would be a shame if we didn't sign him but hey ho. Sangare would be useful cover but nothing more. So I personally think as a bare minimum, we need a left back plus cover, cover at right back, at least one centre back, a 'get stuck in' type midfielder and a striker/forward who is comfortable in a wide role (presuming Wilder sticks with 4-3-3).

Does anyone know what the situation with Adam Chapman is (contract wise I mean)?
I agree with most of that, but Sangare's performance on Saturday suggested he is well worth more of a look. He was very accomplished and saved our defences several potential embarassments.

My understanding is that we have retained Chapman's registration, and so if he has looked after himself and remains commited to football we may well be front line to offer him a contract.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

Time for some controversy.

I would let Batt and Tonkin go, not good enough.

I have watched Batt 5 times this season, and he bottles it.
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:I wouldn't bother with Maclean personally for the wage he'll demand - an expensive liability. I suspect Wilder will try and sign him though. Tonkin is not good enough and needs to go and I'd transfer list Hall as well - too inconsistent. Doble was a pointless signing so late in the season in my opinion as we're unlikely to get him permanently (Southampton rate him and won't let him go cheaply), although I guess we could try and get him on loan again. I think we can assume we're not likely to see Clist, Green, Deering, Midson, Kinniburgh or Purkiss in an Oxford shirt again either. Woodley and Eastwood I'm not sure about, depends on Wilder's thinking. Reading between the lines during recent interviews, I'm not convinced Wilder has any intentions of following up on Hackney.

I agree with most of that, but Sangare's performance on Saturday suggested he is well worth more of a look. He was very accomplished and saved our defences several potential embarassments.

My understanding is that we have retained Chapman's registration, and so if he has looked after himself and remains commited to football we may well be front line to offer him a contract.
Thanks for that GY. Wonder what Wilder's thinking will be on the matter when the time comes. Will he be prepared to give Chapman another chance?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:
Thanks for that GY. Wonder what Wilder's thinking will be on the matter when the time comes. Will he be prepared to give Chapman another chance?
Why wouldn't he? The club stuck by Chapman whilst never condoning what he did and kept picking him up to and including Wembley, whilst he was still available.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:I wouldn't bother with Maclean personally for the wage he'll demand - an expensive liability. (contract wise I mean)?
Wouldn't disagree with that. I think there's a possible temperament problem there. Shame because when we first got him I thought he was possibly the most talented player we've had in a yellow shirt for years.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:I wouldn't bother with Maclean personally for the wage he'll demand - an expensive liability. (contract wise I mean)?
Wouldn't disagree with that. I think there's a possible temperament problem there. Shame because when we first got him I thought he was possibly the most talented player we've had in a yellow shirt for years.
For a forward he doesn't score enough goals though. And misses easy(ish) chances. If he 'demands' a high wage, he's certainly not worth it. If he takes a pragmatic view of his current career situation, and is prepared to become an 'average' wage earner at OUFC, then I'd keep him, as he adds an intelligence to our play that was lacking before his arrival.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I'm pretty certain that chapman had a 1 year contract remaining at the end of last season and the club said they effectively suspend it this season and give him a year in 2011/2012 so the assumption is he'll be around next season.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I feel from what I have seen that Chapman is a better all round footballer than both Heslop and Hall.

Chapman is an excellent footballer, great passing ability and can shoot. He played at Wembley as if he had played there all his life. He has a &quotswagger&quot about him.