New signing from Southampton

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

New signing from Southampton

Post by Swissbloke »

Ryan Doble.

Central Mid and striker.

Described by a Southampton fan here as &quot not the greatest striker on our books, but talented and one hell of a tenacious litte f***er&quot

OKeyDokey!!
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re: New signing from Southampton

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Ryan Doble.

Central Mid and striker.

Described by a Southampton fan here as &quot not the greatest striker on our books, but talented and one hell of a tenacious litte f***er&quot

OKeyDokey!!
Will he join the all the other strikers played wide like Matt Green, Jack Midson, Tommy Craddock and to an extent Steve Maclean.

What is the point of another striker if only Beano is allowed to play there?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Well I suppose it is time we benefited from the Southampton youth policy as they have benfitted from ours a few times over the years.

Where does this leave Aaron though?
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

He won't be here for long. Another strange one for me but at least he's not John Grant.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Because that's the area we're really struggling in :? :roll:
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Everybody seems to have written him off then.....

Straight replacement for Midson. Whether he works out or not let's see. Other clubs have taken yuong strikers from hihjer up the leagues and they have worked out well.

The only problem is that it appears that Woodley has not progressed as hoped which is a real shame.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Everybody seems to have written him off then.....

Seems that way - which is absolutely ridiculous imho.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Because that's the area we're really struggling in :? :roll:
You don't think we should have scored more this season then? Less than 1.3 goals per game isn't great, in my opinion.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote:Because that's the area we're really struggling in :? :roll:
You don't think we should have scored more this season then? Less than 1.3 goals per game isn't great, in my opinion.
A goal difference of 0 isn't helping our cause either.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It's true that of teams above us, only Port Vale and Stevenage have scored fewer goals than us. But more strikers (or, even, improved strikers) doesn't necessarily translate to more goals: goals are also, substantially, a function of style of play, quality of delivery, creation of chances etc.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

I think A Ro and Ancient Colin both deal with the issue. Even without Midson we still have three good enough strikers. It's the system, not the players. Again, we have plenty of midfield cover as well.

We need to strenghthen at the back most definately. A left back is essential as Tonkin is struggling and Batt (especially now with Purkiss told his services are no longer required), Wright and Worley don't have any competition for places and are guaranteed starters every week (don't know what's happened to Sangare, apart from sporadic appearances on the bench he seems to have disappeared). There is little or no cover in these areas.
Belgian Yellow
Toddler

Post by Belgian Yellow »

Not written him off, but how is this going to change things? He'll only be here until the end of the season. If he's on the fringes of the Welsh setup, Soton will want him back.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I tend to think that getting a replacement for Midson is sensible. Let's see how it goes, but maybe he will score some critical goals (and a decent striker almost always will make a difference- see Slumdon without Austin as an example- presumbaly with the same tactics/ style etc).

That is not to say that we don't need cover elsewhere. Presumably Sangere covers for Worley/ Wright though and Purkiss/ Kinni are still here if we need them and will be presumably playing for their future somewhere. My personal view is that we need somebody good enough to be first choice ahead of Worley, but looks like this is unliklely thsi season.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
We'd have a better goal difference if we scored more of them :wink:

But seriously, there have been loads of games this season where people have said 'if we'd taken our chances we'd have won that game easily'. So maybe we're looking for a striker who takes more of his chances.

I just wasn't sure what JBU was rolling his eyes at. We've let Midson go, so we're bringing in someone who we think has a chance of being better than him in the same position. Or maybe just bringing in cover after Midson asked to leave. Who knows? But, either way, what's the problem?

I agree that we need defensive cover, but we are looking at a Swansea defender at the moment I believe.

And I agree with Ancient Colin about style of play too - I'd much rather see more width and pace to our game. But, as discussed on another thread, we're making decent progress with our current set-up (which is, in general, producing quite watchable football), so I don't feel like complaining too vocally about this at the moment.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: You don't think we should have scored more this season then? Less than 1.3 goals per game isn't great, in my opinion.
We'd have a better goal difference if we scored more of them :wink:

But seriously, there have been loads of games this season where people have said 'if we'd taken our chances we'd have won that game easily'. So maybe we're looking for a striker who takes more of his chances.

I just wasn't sure what JBU was rolling his eyes at. We've let Midson go, so we're bringing in someone who we think has a chance of being better than him in the same position. Or maybe just bringing in cover after Midson asked to leave. Who knows? But, either way, what's the problem?

I agree that we need defensive cover, but we are looking at a Swansea defender at the moment I believe.

And I agree with Ancient Colin about style of play too - I'd much rather see more width and pace to our game. But, as discussed on another thread, we're making decent progress with our current set-up (which is, in general, producing quite watchable football), so I don't feel like complaining too vocally about this at the moment.
Just that most of the players we've brought in this season have been to replace forwards or midfielders. The problem area - defence - has widely been ignored, with just a failured attempt with the signing of Futcher and what appears to be the token signing of Sangare (is he ever likely to play?).

I'm sure this new guy will be very good, his credentials look promising, but I just don't think signing a striker should be the priority. As he's likely to only be on loan until the end of the season anyway (doubt Southampton will sell), for the sake of 8 games we may as well have stuck with Midson.