A wins a win

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

A wins a win

Post by ty cobb »

but it was pretty poor wasn't it?

On the positive side Wright is clearly a class above at this level and we missed him badly. Potter also impressed me when we managed to get him on the ball which was all too rarely.

I really do think we miss some spark in midfield, the three in there all very similar, hard working, can do the simple pass well, good shot on them players but they don't seem able to beat a man or play a pass no-one else had spotted. I thought the game was crying out for a bit of invention someone like LSD or Murray (or anyone in that ilk who wants to live in Oxford) to demand the ball and do something constructive with it.

Still not at all impressed with Craddock. He was dreadful yesterday yet manages to play 90 minutes again. If I were Midson I would be telling my agent to get me a club in Jan as Wilder clearly doesn’t rate him which is a shame.

Still we seem to have enough in the tank to beat the poorer teams in the division (and Northampton were very poor) and provided we take our chances we’ll give most other teams a game.

I’d like to see Batt back for the next game though – Purkiss was caught out of position once too often yesterday – most noticeably for their first goal.

I don’t think we’re going to take this division by storm but a couple of good signings in Jan and if Craddock starts playing like Wilder thinks he can could see us push on and grab a play off space.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes that was very poor, if we play like that every week we'll end up around 14th, which would be a shame, as I think we're better than that

The passing was pretty good but we needed someone to get hold of the ball. Call Bulman back.

Rather spurious article on the game in the Guardian today

http&#58//www&#46guardian&#46co&#46uk/f ... arling-cup
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re: A wins a win

Post by Joey's Toe »

I concur with most of your analysis, TY. In particular, the following:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I really do think we miss some spark in midfield, the three in there all very similar, hard working, can do the simple pass well, good shot on them players but they don't seem able to beat a man or play a pass no-one else had spotted.
I agree. For me, the player we've missed most this season has been Adam Chapman - someone who can pick out a pass, get a shot in and just offer that spark. I'm still unconvinced by Heslop and Hall - although I think Payne has done well, and did provide some creativity on Saturday. But I doubt he'll stay for long.

I really don't think that this season's midfield is stronger than last. In actual fact, I'd have Clist and Chapman over Hall and Heslop any day of the week. I know Chapman isn't an option for now, but Clist simply has to get back into the side. We looked much more solid in the last ten minutes on Saturday when he came on.
&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Still not at all impressed with Craddock... If I were Midson I would be telling my agent to get me a club in Jan as Wilder clearly doesn’t rate him which is a shame.
The jury's still out a little on Craddock - he's had some good games and some bad - but I can't see why he's selected ahead of Midson, whose workrate is ten times greater and who's scoring potential is at least as good. Spoke volumes to me when Green came on at the weekend whilst Midson warmed the bench. I really hope we don't lose Jack, because I think his effort and attitude is spot on.

Finally, the RageOnline match report reckons that it was &quota workmanlike performance against a poor side&quot, and TY said the same above. I agree with that. But on Radio Oxford after the game, Rosie (or Jerome, can't remember which) said they thought Northampton were a good side in a false position. Eh? How did they make that out? Northampton worked hard to close us down, but there was little else in their performance which impressed me.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I agree with most of this, but think it is a bit hard on Heslop - excellent first few games, goal-scoring ambition and a strong shot. He has faded recently, but I think the midfield problems are centred on Hall. So many people have commented that we looked more solid both against Cheltenham and Northampton when Clist came on, that either CW sees a different game to the one we see, or there are still issues about his fitness. Clist should certainly start, and then I think the midfield should perform well.

Unless I am much mistaken, we will sign Payne in January. If we don't, then several decisions make little sense.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

It was good to see Jack on the touchline at the end of the game applauding the side off and shaking hands, too.

Again, generally agree with views above. Hall and Heslop were certainly a bit of a disappointment, particularly after their early promise I fail to be impressed with Craddock on the other hand, I thought Constable had a much better game than of late.

I see the campaign for the beatification of Jake Wright has started up again.

At the time, I thought that Payne's goal looked like weak keeping or bad wall placement, but it looks rather better on the BBC TV highlights - not exactly flying, but certainly well directed over the wall. On the other hand, the penalty incident all looks a bit feeble and the sending off possibly a tad harsh as Clist was heading wide. Not that it mattered ...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I did not think the Cobblers were poor at all.

Their league position is false in my view. Once they part company with Ian Sampson I would expect them to be moving up the league.

It was a good three points and a confidence booster. We have players in all positions with minimal league experience and boy does it show at times.

We lack something - apart from experience- but I am unsure what it is.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

The problems we have are down to the midfield and, to an extent, up front. The defence is looking great, especially with Jake back, and - the odd error aside such as Tonks' a couple of weeks ago - they look solid and have dealt with injuries well.

Hall is the key - he is just not performing and is too similar to Heslop and, slightly less, Payne. I think Heslop has proved himself even if he has dropped his level a bit.

I've been singing Midson's praises all season and he deserves a run for sure. The problem is that CW sees him as Beano's reserve. I think Craddock has done OK - he can obviously finish and is capable of producing that moment of magic. Just not often enough. I guess CW thinks that as we have Craddock and Potter who can create, and Beano who can finish, then we don't need more creativity in the middle and need grit instead. I don't agree with that, but i see his point.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

At the moment I'd like to see Midson down the middle in place of Beano who has been very poor the last few games. Two of his last three goals (vs Macc and V Hereford) have both been chances he should have taken the first time but got a second, even a third bite of.

As for the midfield. Agreed, I'd like to see Clist given a go in there. And as for Chapman.... let's hope Good Behaviour (and possible Govt cut backs?!) gets him out much earlier than expected, as I see we still have no-one listed on the number 7 shirt...

As for Wright agreed, he is a cut above, but it was his man on their goal who didn't even get challenged. Or was it just a fantastic cross?

Interesting that this was only our 4th league win of the season. To be honest, I've always said that I'd take ~10th this season, so we're bang on target for that.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Although a Wright fan, I agree McKenzie was his man when he scored.

If we all agree Hall is the (major) problem, why does CW fail to act?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: A wins a win

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:but it was pretty poor wasn't it?
Still not at all impressed with Craddock. He was dreadful yesterday yet manages to play 90 minutes again. If I were Midson I would be telling my agent to get me a club in Jan as Wilder clearly doesn’t rate him which is a shame.
Craddock may not have been great yesterday, but he certainly wasn't &quotdreadful&quot.

The problem he has is that he is clearly a striker, used to playing in a front pair. Sticking him on the side of a front three is not playing to his strengths.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I thought Payne, playing in a deep midfield role, is just the man to get play moving forwards from the back. What we have lacked, as others have said, is someone of the Murray-type, who can take up an advanced midfield role and join the attack.....as Clist did when he came on. Given the height of some of Northampton's players, it was only when Beast came on that I began to relax a bit. I think he won every header he went for.

Wright definitely was McKenzie's man when the latter scored - but as the game went on he became more his old self. Tonkin worries me - give Kinny another chance.

If CW is going to stick with three up front, then I think we have some big issues to resolve. I would have Midson in the middle and, if he has to play, try Constable in a wider position (although I wonder if he needs a game or two out, as he seems mentally not really with it currently). Which leaves what to do with Caddock, who has shown he can score yet seems to spend too much of too many games away from the play. Should Alfie be part of a front three or as one of the midfielders? I suspect that in a 4-3-3 he will be played as one of the front three, yet is better running at players - which, on Saturday, he did better coming from deep (let alone his understandable inability to win a header when balls were pumped up to him when in a more advanced position).

Oh and I see the Cobblers are going to appeal the red card. Was I the only one who thought it a cast-iron sending off?
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Beano should not be captain, he needs to concentrate on his game. Make Tonks or Wright skipper...
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

Crikey some wild views on this thread.

Craddock 'dreadful'?!? Looks like the best finisher we've had at the club for years. He's got to play. Give him the chances, he'll put them away.
Put him up with Beano as a front two. Potter on right, Heslop/Payne in middle/ Clist on left.

Midson is not quick enough. He'll be out in the window.

Chapman to come back? Er,he's not proven at this level. Clist has to come in , he is technically good enough and is LEFT FOOTED. He creates some balance. Hall has flattered to deceive he's supposed to be a goalscorer, how many has he scored this season then?

Heslop. To me he simply wasn't fit on Saturday. He was running around inthe last 20 minutes as if he had one foot longer than the other!

Beano - did OK on Sat, good physical presence, he was watching the defensive line more closely as well. Dod well for first goal as well.

All 3 subs were timed well, well done Wilder.

Clarke was shaky, their big forwards were crowding him and he didn't like it...

Northampton? Agree with OUFC4eva , in a false position had some good ball players.

good to win despite an iffy performance that's football remember Stockport?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Craddock may be able to finish, but I don’t think he’s going to get many chances playing on left side of midfield. For me he was disappointing again on Saturday, and I’d rather see Midson alongside Constable with Green in the hole behind.

Sick and tired of 4-5-1 and I bet Beano is as well.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Craddock may be able to finish, but I don’t think he’s going to get many chances playing on left side of midfield. For me he was disappointing again on Saturday, and I’d rather see Midson alongside Constable with Green in the hole behind.

Sick and tired of 4-5-1 and I bet Beano is as well.

watch the goals dry up if Craddock is dropped :cry: