Game of 2 halves.

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Game of 2 halves.

Post by Swissbloke »

1st half. Dreadful

Beast broke his toe which led to the youngest back 4 in quite some time as Franks stepped in.

We were, like Crewe on Sat mighty lucky not to be 3 or 4 down.

Clarke was immense, everyone else was poor.

2nd half we dominated a lot more.

Criticisims.

Craddock. Poor.
Payne 1st half dreadful
Heslop - why wont he pass to Potter?
Potter - blown midway through the 2nd, should have been swapped for Green.
Hall - poor.
Franks - needed to get his head into the game quicker.
Oxford support in the 1st half was appalling.
Police. Er how many did they need?

Pluses.
Kinni's crosses.
Midson's goal
Oxford support 2nd half was better
Green in the minute or so he had looked lively.
Clarke 10/10
Heslop and Payne picked things up in the 2nd.
Clist. Excellent.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

It is bizarre how much better we were in the second half, although we did begin to claw it back before half time. In the last twenty minutes, we seemed to have gained a great deal in confidence.

I agree we could have been several down at half time. We seemed to miss everything in the air, and to be second to every second ball. I agree Payne went missing in the first half - why? I would add that Kinniburgh was quite lucky to stay on the pitch, the mood the ref was in.

I thought Franks grew a great deal during the game. He was lucky that Clarke could rescue the miscue - the look of relief on his face was fantastic! But then to make that tackle in the box showed nerve and skill. We also looked better with Clist on the pitch - given the general inexperience of the players, he must start on Saturday.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I really like going to Cheltenham. I get home in under an hour (about the length of time it takes to get out of the overflow car park at Minchery Farm), they have a nice clubhouse with windows that overlook the pitch, and they are a proper League II club. Not struggling one like a Macclesfield or a Barnet or too big for our current League like Bradford, but a nice settled old fashioned Division IV club with a ground to match. They even have a stand that is identical to the one we used to have on the Beech Road at The Manor. A very friendly place indeed, and God knows why they needed so many Babylon there because we don’t hate Them like that team from Wiltshire – they are just annoying because they are in the League we are currently in at the moment and we’re still learning how to get out while They are (at a guess) happy to be where they are now.

I also like their ‘keeper, and the way they missed so many chances in the first 45 minutes to put the game out of sight for Us.

Great that Jack got his goal, great that we nicked another point, great that even without Constable we got something out of the game (and if had it been a cup game that had gone into extra time we would have had more) great that as a club fresh out of the non-League abyss we are slowly adapting to the next step up, and great to see so many away fans there tonight.

Still not sure about who should play up front. Craddock kind of made our goal, and had a magic moment at Herford but come Saturday I’d like to see him benched and Green, Midson, Constable start. Oh, and LSD.

Now bring on the top of the League Club and let’s see how much we have learnt in such a short space of time...
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Forgot to add that the crowd helped earn the point tonight.

If we hadn't have been so vocal, the ref would never have blown the whistle before the corner was taken. He looked up into the stand and you could see the thought of a what would happen with a Cheltenham winner going through his mind.

Whistle blown, Cheltenham players peed off.

Point won.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Game of 2 halves.

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Heslop - why wont he pass to Potter?
Um, maybe because Potter did absolutely nothing with the ball, and Heslop would like to pass it to someone that isn't going to give it straight back to the full-back? Alfie had one decent direct run at their defence, and earned a free-kick from it in a dangerous position. Apart from that he was the poorest player on the pitch - once the rest of them had bucked their ideas up in the second half. I would have liked to see LSD or Green on for Potter midway through the second half. Cheltenham were there for the taking at the end.
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Clarke 10/10
What a fantastic save! He's an excellent shot-stopper, one of the best we've had, and will obviously do ANYTHING to avoid conceding a goal. However, Clarke does not command his box at all well, and there were several wafty punches (and one completely missed punch) that he was lucky to get away with. I'd like to see him improve that side of his game, as I think there are a few more Wembley moments waiting to happen.

Apart from that, I have to say the first half scared me. If there were any lingering doubts that this division is a massive step-up from the Conference, they were very quickly dispelled by Cheltenham's direct running, confidence on the ball and willingness to shoot. Which was a marked contrast to our extremely route one football. Not that our hoofs weren't giving them a few uncomfortable moments at the back, but I was very relieved to go in at the break only one goal down. Our marking at the back was non-existent at times, and our midfield was well off the pace of the game.

The turning points, apart from the equalising goal, were the Clarke miracle save sequence and Franks clattering Wes Thomas, all of which happened within minutes of each other. Worley suddenly had Thomas in his pocket, and Payne started pulling all the strings in the middle of the park.

All in all, very pleased to come back from behind to get a point away from home again. And I was home in only 3 hours!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I thought the game changed when we actually decided to shoot instead of constantly looking for another pass. The goal came from our first (and only?) meaningful shot on target which the keeper spilled.

We also looked a lot better after Clist came on for the last 20, the ball stuck up front a hell of a lot better than it had done. Hall was absolutely useless, he either avoided the ball or, when he did touch it, it might as well have been me out there....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Off the pitch, nice to have a decentish clubhouse with tables and chairs, not too fancy, not too shabby either.

Stewards and police didn't really get much right. I'm not too sure what they thought they were expecting, possibly a reenactment of the pub riot following the postponed Kettering game last season?

Anyway, no flags on poles, or banners were allowed in, even with empty pitch side advertising space and space at the back of the stands.

The &quotallocated&quot seats was also a bit of a cock-up. Knowing that to congregate behind the goal you have to get in early, and the section I was in at the back was well packed out. Some middle aged old fart then turned up with a full cup of coffee about 2 minutes before kick-off and insisted on being in his seat. I'd heard stewards were a bit jobsworth, but this time, perhaps due to the sell out, they didn't insist on everyone sitting down, or moving people out of the aisles. If they had wanted to do this they should have been on it from well before kick-off.

On the pitch -
outplayed first half hour, we kept slipping up. And as our Kassam pitch seems to be constantly watered, this surprised me. Ref seemed to mix up hard tackles with fouls.

On Clarkey's double save, how their player stayed on the pitch despite having a head high boot to our defender amazed me.

Potter was a bit disappointing constantly going to the corner - perhaps I am too used to rewatching his Wembley goal and expect the same every game.

Last half hour we battled well, but again a point won, and with a team who aren't that used to playing together. Clearly missing Batt, Wright, Constable etc.

Midson I think really appreciated the fans - to think he could have been at Wrexham with no fans at all.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

The last couple of games have made me question whether we were right to get rid of Bullman. Having some good solid ball playing central midfielders is all well and good but when we have a hard away game we need someone to snap at heels, hassle players and make sure none of their players get time on the ball. Bullman was the best player we had for doing this – West Ham away for instance he was immense. Fair enough play 3 ball playing midfielders for home games and easier away ones but for me Chelt away on a Tue night is the ideal game for Bullman.

Yes he’s 30 and clearly he won’t be here in 5 years, but I doubt many of our players will be and there is always a role for a bites your ankles midfielder, not just in this level but higher up as well. Our most successful teams contained one in Mickey Lewis and Martin Gray and I’d have liked to have seen Bullman kept to vary the game plan when needed.

Still two points at Crewe at Chelt is a good return, especially without Beano and our best centre back if we start winning the home games we dominate we’ll be there or thereabouts come May.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re:

Post by Joey's Toe »

Corking atmosphere last night - one of the best I've heard in a long, long while. Good to hear a few of the old songs as well!

Last night really confirmed what I've been saying all season - we're a very mid-table side, capable of playing decent football, but also capable of some breathtaking naivety as well. The first half display was very wobbly, as other have said.

The real positive for me last night was Harry Worley. I've criticised him on here previously, but I thought he grew a few inches in stature last night when Creighton went off. For the first time, he wasn't the junior partner, and he had to step up and lead the defence - which he did very well in the second half. Very encouraging.

Midson - again - worked his socks off. Deserved the plaudits at the end, and deserves to keep his place.

Negatives? Well, Craddock still flatters to decieve. I'm all for giving him a bit of time, but he's got to start showing signs of improving fast if he's to merit a place ahead of Midson and Green.

I also thought Potter cemented his place in my mind as an impact sub rather than a starter - he works hard and covers a lot of ground, but is nowhere near as effective as when he comes off the bench.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Game of 2 halves.

Post by Hog »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Green in the minute or so he had looked lively.
Damned with faint praise?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote: Our most successful teams contained one in Mickey Lewis and Martin Gray
I don't think so!
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:The last couple of games have made me question whether we were right to get rid of Bullman. Having some good solid ball playing central midfielders is all well and good but when we have a hard away game we need someone to snap at heels, hassle players and make sure none of their players get time on the ball. Bullman was the best player we had for doing this – West Ham away for instance he was immense. Fair enough play 3 ball playing midfielders for home games and easier away ones but for me Chelt away on a Tue night is the ideal game for Bullman.

Yes he’s 30 and clearly he won’t be here in 5 years, but I doubt many of our players will be and there is always a role for a bites your ankles midfielder, not just in this level but higher up as well. Our most successful teams contained one in Mickey Lewis and Martin Gray and I’d have liked to have seen Bullman kept to vary the game plan when needed.

Still two points at Crewe at Chelt is a good return, especially without Beano and our best centre back if we start winning the home games we dominate we’ll be there or thereabouts come May.
No! Bulman was patently not good enough for L2. Helsop and Payne do plenty of snapping btw.

Forget Bulman anyway, why no mention of Clist ? Had a very impressive 20 minutes, want to see him back in a starting 11, his left foot gives us balance.

Craddock is a centre forward in my book. Suggest we may see 4-4-2 soon.

Well done the reserve defence last night as well. Thought they played very effectively.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Police presence is always quite high at Cheltenham. Increased numbers last night - I heard all police leave had been cancelled - all to do with the pub riot as already mentioned.

Agree with most that has been said already. It really looked like we were being totally out battled in the first half. It was crying out for a Bulman.(Isn't Baker supposed to be able to do a bit of that? Or have I made that up?) When it comes to battling, Craddock, Hall, Payne, &amp Potter really don't look up to it. Not sure about Heslop either. And without our two of our biggest battlers - Beano from the start &amp Beast soon after we looked lightweight. Midson kept at it but he has not got the physical presence of Beano.
But - we managed to hang on in there somehow and by the last 15 mins or so looked marginally more likely to win it than they did. When we were able to get round to playing our football we looked better thea them without creating many chances.

Potter wasn't the only one who looked lost and I thought he started to cause Cheltenham real problems when he had a few runs at them late on. Problem was he was getting tired by then. I would have gone for the more physical Green instead of him to start.

Credit has to go to our young defence - 3 of the back 4 were not the manager's first choice at the start of the season. Franks not even first choice replacement.

And finally, what a cheat Thomas was. The ridiculous thing is he is a very good player who shouldn't need to do that.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotty cobb&quot wrote: Our most successful teams contained one in Mickey Lewis and Martin Gray
I don't think so!
Really? Mad Dog was the perfect foil to Magilton in the Championship and Gray did well in a team that were looking good for a play off spot under Elliott was sold.

Care to qualify your statement?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Craddock is a centre forward in my book