Do you enjoy listening to the drum the away fans bring?

Anything yellow and blue

Yes
10%
No
70%
Not bothered
20%

Total votes: 30

Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Just curious, being as they seem to be trendy in League II these days.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re: Do you enjoy listening to the drum the away fans bring?

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Just curious, being as they seem to be trendy in League II these days.
No, mainly because they seem to be &quotplayed&quot by people with all the rhythm of a wardrobe falling down stairs
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

No. A drum with a large number of fans singing along is one thing, but when there's only a handful of people and a big echoey drum, it sounds shit. And gets very annoying.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Aldershot are good with drums, they use it/them occasionally during the match and everyone knows the songs they are building up to, so it works well.

The rest just seem to be used to make up for the small number of fans, and from the top corner of the North Stand it does make a lot of noise and can be heard above anything else.
Long John Silver
Brat

Post by Long John Silver »

I'm not particulary bothered one way or the other whether away fans have a drum or not, or even home fans! But the day when we have a policy of banning things such as drums, flags, rattles! will be a sad day.

Usually, whenever away fans have a drum it seems to make us even quieter than usual... so from their point of view it works. We should put effort into trying to drown their drum out by being louder ourselves and not by a ban.

I was pleased that KT didn't seem to think a ban was a good idea.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I can't stand any form of musical instrument played by supporters during a match.

I think we should ban them.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I hate them. As others have said, the worst are those employed by teams with no supporters so they take a drum to make up for the lack of volume of the fans.

I've banged on (sic) about this before we should install sound deadening in the away fans area and accoustic enhancement in the home area, there is nothing in the rules that says we can't and any little advantage that the club and fans can give the team should at least be considered.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re:

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I hate them. As others have said, the worst are those employed by teams with no supporters so they take a drum to make up for the lack of volume of the fans.

I've banged on (sic) about this before we should install sound deadening in the away fans area and accoustic enhancement in the home area, there is nothing in the rules that says we can't and any little advantage that the club and fans can give the team should at least be considered.
That's just a quality idea! Turn the East stand into some sort of giant megaphone. They'd need to toughen the windows across the front of the bowlplex!!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotLong John Silver&quot wrote: Usually, whenever away fans have a drum it seems to make us even quieter than usual... so from their point of view it works.
I fully agree with this point, in particular if we're not playing well or losing - it seems to numb or at least lower the volume of our home support. Accrington Stanley was a perfect example with 123 fans and one drum making more noise than our 6,000 fans in the 2nd half.

We are the 12th Man in terms of pushing the team on during matchdays but I think to some extent that effort is being reduced by one poxy piece of annoying hardware in the perfect acoustics of a near empty top corner of the North Stand.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

If you can't beat them, join them I say. I think we should get a drum of our own.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:If you can't beat them, join them I say. I think we should get a drum of our own.
:roll:

Thank God you are in the minority.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I don't enjoy listening to drums but I'd rather we drowned them out with our singing than ban them.
Last edited by Geoff on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Really not that bothered to be honest. But, as already noted, it would nice if they could at least keep a rythmn of some kind.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:I don't enjoy listening to drums but I'd rather we drowned them out with our singing rather than ban them.
Completely agree, but do we?

Another point I should mention is that if you sit in the East Stand you are far less likely to hear it but in other parts of the stadium it’s far more audible. A shame the players don’t sit in the east stand, in fact.

Interesting that Grimsby fans are having a debate on banning their own drum - http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum ... 17195/s-0/ , and so are Portsmouth - http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb ... ?id=288191

And how would people feel if someone brought one into the East Stand, or worse, some nutter starts banging away on one just behind our Directors Box? I’ll bet that would soon be removed....
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I hate them. As others have said, the worst are those employed by teams with no supporters so they take a drum to make up for the lack of volume of the fans.

Just on that last rather pertinent point, I seem to recall writing a letter to the club when the Kas was in its infancy, suggesting that in the name of maximising all possible advantages, they should have home fans at each end and away fans in some Godforsaken corner, such that the keeper had to put up with a barrage throughout all 90 mins without respite. And just look where THAT got us...

Not especially bothered either way about the instruments, but do agree that if it is done, it should be done well - or fans just shouldn't bother. Division 4 ain't exactly Serie A and shouldn't purport to be. We have the best singing in the world in Britain and should be proud of that.

On another subject - it's interesting that two other clubs voting on banning their drums are two other clubs who should actually be voting on whether or not to ban their players, their chairman, or both. And maybe having the drummer in the boardroom instead.