Wilder's young side - timescales for success?

Anything yellow and blue
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Wilder's young side - timescales for success?

Post by Joey's Toe »

I noted that Lord Wilder came over all David O'Leary in his post-match interview on Saturday, emphasising that this is a young side who are learning etc etc.

Following on from that, I started to wonder what timescales (if any) have been mentioned between Wilder and Kelvin Thomas about when that team should bear fruit.

Last year, Wilder had to build a side for instant success. Now he has the opportunity to build a young side for continued, sustained progress. From the way we played on Saturday, the early signs are promising, and his team selection suggests that this is his plan (see the Creighton-Worley thread).

But how soon do we think Wilder and the board realistically expect that side to move us to the next level? This season? Next season? 3-5 years?

The short-term ambition was to get back into the football league. What goals do you think Wilder has been set for the medium- to long-term?
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Championship by 2015
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Whilst it is possible to get back to back promotions at any level and it has happened a few times at this level I don't think that would be a goal for us this season.

I'd expect a top half of the table finish to be the aim this season followed by a promotion push next time around. A play off place should be a realistic target and if we don't go up through that route then automatic promotion in the third saeson (2012/13).

Same would go for League 1 :

1st year top half
2nd year play offs
3rd year promotion

Championship target would be to survive but I don't think we need to worry about that for a while.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Champions League via FA Cup should be the goal this season. If that is not achieved, all the players should be flayed alive in a public event at the stadium, after which nerve gas will be used to kill all the fans as well.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Whilst it is possible to get back to back promotions at any level and it has happened a few times at this level I don't think that would be a goal for us this season.

I'd expect a top half of the table finish to be the aim this season followed by a promotion push next time around. A play off place should be a realistic target and if we don't go up through that route then automatic promotion in the third saeson (2012/13).

1st year top half
2nd year play offs
3rd year promotion

Championship target would be to survive but I don't think we need to worry about that for a while.
That's a pretty sensible timescale I would have thought.

There's an argument for automatic promotion again this season, as the difference in standard between L2 and Conf isn't huge. League 1 the standard jumps a bit though, so it would be unrealistic to expect rapid progress from that League.

I suppose we could extrapolate this thread to consider what would be an acceptable finish this season. For me, play off places would be a successful season.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Interesting to look back at my semi-humorous poll: http://www.rageonline.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3192

Top half was just about the consensus.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

For this season, I'd expect top half with a play offs target. Next season, expect play offs with promotion the target.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[There's an argument for automatic promotion again this season, as the difference in standard between L2 and Conf isn't huge.
Only seen two games so far but I'd say on this evidence the gap is quite large.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

On the field the target this season is 7th.

Off the field it's a 700k profit.
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:Whilst it is possible to get back to back promotions at any level and it has happened a few times at this level I don't think that would be a goal for us this season.

1st year top half
2nd year play offs
3rd year promotion

There's an argument for automatic promotion again this season, as the difference in standard between L2 and Conf isn't huge. League 1 the standard jumps a bit though, so it would be unrealistic to expect rapid progress from that League.

I suppose we could extrapolate this thread to consider what would be an acceptable finish this season. For me, play off places would be a successful season.

Well you won't be surprised to learn that, guess what, I disagree. Reckon there IS a large gap between Conference and L2. I think our forward line is not up to it and we need to get an experienced striker in. Which won't happen.

We will do well to finish top half. And there will be lots of of moaners soon. And May 16th will seem a long way away.

Happy days...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSackcloth Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

1st year top half
2nd year play offs
3rd year promotion

Well you won't be surprised to learn that, guess what, I disagree. Reckon there IS a large gap between Conference and L2. I think our forward line is not up to it and we need to get an experienced striker in. Which won't happen.

We will do well to finish top half. And there will be lots of of moaners soon. And May 16th will seem a long way away.

Happy days...
I think I preferred the positive you... :lol:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[There's an argument for automatic promotion again this season, as the difference in standard between L2 and Conf isn't huge.
Only seen two games so far but I'd say on this evidence the gap is quite large.
The main difference to me between top half of the Conference and League 2, based on the limited live games and TV highlights is that the strikers are quicker and convert a higher rate of chances. No real surprise there.

I honestly think on the limited evidence so far available, that we are more than a match for this level.

Lest we forget we have already beaten Brizzle from a division higher.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I don't think it's fair to equate &quotBeano had a stinker&quot with &quotWe don't have good enough strikers for L2&quot
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I can't see why we shouldn't be pushing for the play offs this season and if we don't go through them again, then pushing for automatic promotion next season.

That assumes that we keep CW/KT.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Aim for play offs this season, if we manage to go up via this route then all well and good, if that is not achieved, aim for automatic promotion next season.
Consolidate for two seasons in league 1 before promotion push.
Simples!!!!