Well that was Leicester, then

Anything yellow and blue
boris
Grumpy old git

Well that was Leicester, then

Post by boris »

I thought the lads played well against a Leicester side that made the Champ play-offs last season (read the RO match report).

Stand-out players for me were Tonks, Hall and Bulman. Heslop did most things well, but was ever so one-footed, while no one had a really poor game. Batt was excellent going forward but was a bit suspect at the back, as usual, while Beast looked like he was going to get beaten every time on the floor until Wright started covering for him. I thought that Franks had a fine second half, and Cole did well when he first came on but after about 10 mins he looked knackered. Middo continues to look like he should do better than he does, and I think that we need another striker as we're still too reliant on Beano's goals.
Tabbernackle
Brat

Post by Tabbernackle »

I thought we played really well considering the opposision
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Agreed, Boris. Although my MoM was between Hall and The Beast, who made some excellent tackles and won pretty much everything in the air against Steve Howard, reportedly one of the better &quotbig men&quot in the Champ.

Apparently The Beast has been working on his speed in the close season, and this was evidenced after his mazy run forward (if you weren't at the game, yes you read that correctly!) in the 2nd half. The speed he got back to his position was fantastic.

My lowlight- midson. Green won more flick-on's than he did, and he kept getting dragged wide.

I also heard post-match that Wright (who was also excellent, one last ditch tackle standing out in my mind) was unable to drive home this evening. Rather worrying- maybe we DO need 5 centre-halves after all... On which note, Franks was excellent.
OX12 to HP19
Embryo

Post by OX12 to HP19 »

&quotOxes keep Foxes in their boxes&quot Dr Seuss punditry at it's VERY best!

I have updated my blog with some pic's and vids from the game:

http://oufc.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/le ... -friendly/
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotOX12 to HP19&quot wrote:&quotOxes keep Foxes in their boxes&quot Dr Seuss punditry at its VERY best!

I have updated my blog with some pics and vids from the game:

http://oufc.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/le ... -friendly/
Allow me.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Finally we get to see what is pretty much our first team. As stated above, Creighton seems to have come back from Summer a bit faster and slimmer. Bulman had a good game, although as one of the oldest members of the squad I expect Wilder is looking for a replacement at some point.

I was interested to see the first half attack as Deering and Potter on the wings with Constable in the middle. Second half we were back to normality with Deering and Potter both coming off, and Midson, Green coming on. Asa Hall impressed, and I think we will see him as a good replacement for Murray / Chapman, but I think we are missing their free kicks. Is Clist any good at dead-balls?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Heslop seems to be the default set-piece taker. He took all the corners from both sides (with a much better delivery than Murray, it has to be said) and also the free-kick from the left that at least beat the wall even if it did go straight into the 'keeper's arms (note to Clarke: that's how you position yourself).

I thought the formation in the first half was far too defensive, with almost a 4-1-4-1 look to it, leaving Constable isolated far too often. That was changed to the old 4-3-3 in the second half, and after Cole came on it was almost random up front.
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I thought Matt Green looked sharp when he came on. Creighton gave us a couple of scary moments but, to be fair, they are a Championship side. A couple of good runs from Cole but he had one opportunity to play Beano in which was on his right foot and he tried to maoeuvre it on to his left and the chance was gone. Can he kick with both feet or is he another Ryan Clarke? Beano's goal was straightforward, but he had to be in the right place and it was the culmination of a good move.

Agree with Boris, Heslop took the corners well. That's an area we have struggled to use to our advantage for a long time.

Overall we deserved the draw against opposition from two leagues above us. That must bode well.