Vuvuzelas

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Vuvuzelas

Post by Snake »

Just watching the game against the Platinum Stars online and I've got a feeling that those horrible plastic hooters are going to get on my nerves for the next month or so..
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

It's going to have to either be watching with the sound off or not at all. They are literally the most annoying things I have ever heard and are about to ruin plans for the next month of my life.

BTW, how shit do England look? I know it's only a training match but still.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Vuvuzelas

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Just watching the game against the Platinum Stars online and I've got a feeling that those horrible plastic hooters are going to get on my nerves for the next month or so..
Completely agree.

Lots of managers and coaches have expressed concern that they will not be able to get clear instructions to the players during matches because of the racket those hooters make.

I hate 'em - truly dreadful things and they have the potential to ruin the World Cup for many people.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Indeed.

I was looking forward to a bit of decent drum beating as background noise at today’s game, given that it is held in Africa, though I doubt that many locals will be attending given the black market or “package
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

After watching the first two games today I was not surprised to hear nothing but those cheap plastic horns when South Africa played in the opening game.

However, when the real fans got on board I thought that the atmosphere would be different. I realise that the France game this evening was not top class entertainment but did anyone else who reads this board hear a single proper football chant on the telly?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:After watching the first two games today I was not surprised to hear nothing but those cheap plastic horns when South Africa played in the opening game.

However, when the real fans got on board I thought that the atmosphere would be different. I realise that the France game this evening was not top class entertainment but did anyone else who reads this board hear a single proper football chant on the telly?
Not me.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

The acid test will be if we can hear ENG-GER-LUND this evening.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Holy fuck! They sound like a million tormented bees stuk in my head.

I may be greateful for a bit of 'the great escape' this evening, even though that's been done to death.

I'm never going to be a Nationalist - being English is just an accident of birth - but sure as hell I don't want to see the US beat us in a sport they don't even care about. COME ON ENGLAND!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:After watching the first two games today I was not surprised to hear nothing but those cheap plastic horns when South Africa played in the opening game.

Not me.
I could hear the faint strains of “Rule Britannia
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

Not me.
I could hear the faint strains of “Rule Britannia
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i don't mind the sound of the vuvuzelas. i kind of like the way that football grounds around the world often have immediately identifiable aspects to them - the sound of italian whistling when the opposition are in possession. at least it's different.

mind you, i'd probably see things differently if i was in the ground, and may have the opportunity to test that theory if some of Us have been out there and bring some vuvuzelas back with them.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Re:

Post by Andrewmaha »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:i don't mind the sound of the vuvuzelas. i kind of like the way that football grounds around the world often have immediately identifiable aspects to them - the sound of italian whistling when the opposition are in possession. at least it's different.

mind you, i'd probably see things differently if i was in the ground, and may have the opportunity to test that theory if some of Us have been out there and bring some vuvuzelas back with them.
39,000 vuvuzelas in a crowd of 40,000 don't really stand out as its the norm.

6 vuvuzelas in a crowd of 6000 at Kastad will stand out and I suspect they would be blown for no more than 1 minute as that's how long it would take for them to be verbally abused out of use.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:i don't mind the sound of the vuvuzelas. i kind of like the way that football grounds around the world often have immediately identifiable aspects to them - the sound of italian whistling when the opposition are in possession. at least it's different.

Don't need to have been out there. Heard some of the pesky things being blown on the streets of Bicester last night. Still being blown when I got to sleep at 12:30.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:It’s such a pity what British Petroleum are doing to the beaches of Florida and other neighbouring states, but hey, America wants oil so here you go, have as much as you want from Us.
I think you meant BP plc not British Petroleum. in 2001 British Petroleum formally renamed itself BP plc after the acquisition of a couple of American petrol companies and suggested that it might mean &quotBeyond Petroleum&quot.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:It’s such a pity what British Petroleum are doing to the beaches of Florida and other neighbouring states, but hey, America wants oil so here you go, have as much as you want from Us.
I think you meant BP plc not British Petroleum. in 2001 British Petroleum formally renamed itself BP plc after the acquisition of a couple of American petrol companies and suggested that it might mean &quotBeyond Petroleum&quot.
Seems you are better informed than the President of the USA. Who is turning out to be a Grade-A twunt.