Travel tips for Wembley

Anything yellow and blue
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Travel tips for Wembley

Post by Swissbloke »

Folks, quick tips from a hardy commuter!

1 - Train.

Take the Train from Banbury, Bicester North or Thame. Parking at the stations are £5.50 per day and off-peak tickets pretty decent. You can park around the stations to save you some ca$h , but will no doubt piss off locals :-) The Trains will be making additional stops at Wembley Station (right next to the Stadium)

Coming back is hellish though, expect Alton Towers style queues.

2 - Coach

Oxford Tube or Bus Company -Option 1 Get off at Hillingdon and take the Metropolitan line and get off at Wembley Park. Hilliingdon to Wembley is about 40mins. Also check the TFL website for weekend works.

Option 2 (if you are on the 190, Oxford Tube does not stop here) get off at Baker street and Walk to Marylebone. It's 5 mins if that. Chiltern will be running special Wembley trains all day. It's 15mins from there to Wembley Stadium

3-Car Check local NCP or car parking sites near tube stations on the lines to Wembley. Way cheaper than Wembley car parking and local tubes should be less busy than the trains. Again check TFL for news.

Jubilee line is kaput on weekends, do not plan to use it at all.

Hope this helps!
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Also thinking about it, Beaconsfield is a pretty quiet station on a Sunday and should have stops at Wembley. Parking is still £5.50 but it's only 45 mins from Oxford and then a further 35mins to Wembley from there. It's on the Chiltern line.

Off-peak to Wembley from there should be in the region of £8 I think.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

It hasn't been the 190 for some time now, it's the X90.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I would think London Road Travel Club will run plenty of coaches.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

I often go from Beaconsfield or Gerrards Cross (same line) and very good service from there - be about a tenner to Wembley - It's £14 for a Travelcard from there.

I am going on a coach from Abingdon myself.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Also thinking about it, Beaconsfield is a pretty quiet station on a Sunday and should have stops at Wembley. Parking is still £5.50 but it's only 45 mins from Oxford and then a further 35mins to Wembley from there. It's on the Chiltern line.

Off-peak to Wembley from there should be in the region of £8 I think.
The problem with going from stations such as Wycombe, Beaconsfield or Gerrards Cross is that very few trains that stop there will also stop at Wembley, whereas if you go from Bicester or Haddenham then I'm pretty sure all trains will stop at Wembley and have extra coaches on them.

If we win then trains home won't be an issue as I'll be heading to the nearest pub and then into central London to celebrate properly. If we lose then queuing in the rain will be such a positive pleasure compared to the misery I will be suffering anyway that I won't even notice it.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

A word of warning for those tempted to use the regular service coaches - trying to get one back from Hillingdon after a major event at Wembley is a near impossibility - many of them are already full coming out of London and it dawns on you that 100s of other people have had the same idea.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:A word of warning for those tempted to use the regular service coaches - trying to get one back from Hillingdon after a major event at Wembley is a near impossibility - many of them are already full coming out of London and it dawns on you that 100s of other people have had the same idea.
Correct and even Baker St. can be an issue so it's the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus and then the Victoria line to Victoria to be sure you get the bus at the start of its run.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

The Football Ground Guide has loads of useful info:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/wembley_stadium/
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

By car from Oxford - come off the A40 at the Target Roundabout. A312 to Harrow on the Hill. The tube station (Metropolitan Line) is a couple of stations from Wembley Park and arrives going into London (less crowded).

A public car park in Gayton Road, 2 minute walk from Harrow on the Hill tube,

and a reasonable boozer at the junction of Lyon Road/Gayton Road.

A route I used regularly for England internationals when I lived in Oxford - but I have been exiled some time.
bringiton
Baby

Re:

Post by bringiton »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:By car from Oxford - come off the A40 at the Target Roundabout. A312 to Harrow on the Hill. The tube station (Metropolitan Line) is a couple of stations from Wembley Park and arrives going into London (less crowded).

A public car park in Gayton Road, 2 minute walk from Harrow on the Hill tube,

and a reasonable boozer at the junction of Lyon Road/Gayton Road.

A route I used regularly for England internationals when I lived in Oxford - but I have been exiled some time.
...thats a very good route- there's never any hassle getting tubes going north after the game ( well once youve got through the wembley way crush..)

A pal of mine gets a train from wycombe into wembley for the england games and he never seems to have problems in or out.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

There is also the option of Amersham Met line, which has a huge car park and is 35 minutes from Wembley Park.

More to the point, the Boot and Slipper is 5 minutes walk from the station and I shall be having pre-match lager in there. The food is excellent too.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:There is also the option of Amersham Met line, which has a huge car park and is 35 minutes from Wembley Park.

More to the point, the Boot and Slipper is 5 minutes walk from the station and I shall be having pre-match lager in there. The food is excellent too.
The Boot and Slipper is a good pub but sadly it's hobson's choice in Amersham-on-the-hill these days. The Iron Horse RIP.

By the way, it's only £3.50 to park at Haddenham &amp Thame after 9.00am.