PENALTY MISSES ?

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

PENALTY MISSES ?

Post by OUFC4eva »

I was at Sw*ndon in Oct.1991 to see Trevor Aylott sky a penalty high over
bar and indeed the Stratton Bank in a meaningless cup match (Zenith Data Systems ?) that we lost on pens (is any match against them meaningless I now ask myself)

I thought that was the worst pen. i'd had the misfortune to witness for United - Beano capped it however. That was terrible.

I also vaguely remember Foggy belting a couple against the bar and
I once or twice saw us miss two in a match. Curran and Foley against Hereford 1978 at the Manor?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

If we're in the play-offs this season, and it goes to penalties, we're fucked...
Ken Skeen
Sperm

Post by Ken Skeen »

In a game against Birmingham City in 1970 or 1971, my namesake, Ken Skeen, hit a penalty OUT OF THE GROUND.
Admittedly the Cuckoo Lane end was not a four-tier stand with a kilometre-long stretch of cafés and bars, but it was still some achievement and we all had to wait for someone to go and fetch the ball.
It's things like that that make you love your club.
Come on you yellows!
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I remember David Fogg missing two in a game at the Manor. v Lincoln City?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

Ken Skeen pen miss was worse than Beano's. You had to see it to believe it.

Though, as some wiseguy said last night, Beano's effort took out a couple of old dears on their way to Gala Bingo.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Though, as some wiseguy said last night, Beano's effort took out a couple of old dears on their way to Gala Bingo.
Well they shouldn't have been walking on the ringroad then!
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Though, as some wiseguy said last night, Beano's effort took out a couple of old dears on their way to Gala Bingo.
That can't be right - I have it on good authority that the ball hasn't come down yet.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I once managed to screw the deciding shootout penalty a yard high and a yard wide of the top right hand corner of the goal - the ball then continued its curved trajectory exiting the sportsground through the main gate and bounced off down the road.....
Foghorn
Toddler

Post by Foghorn »

I have watched the penalty miss on the highlights video. The ball clearly bobbles just before Beano strikes it. These things happen. If the penalty was a horse he would now have to climb back on it.
Beach Road End
Brat

Post by Beach Road End »

He misses too many. Need to have another regular pen taker. Would be happy with anyone like Midson, Murray (when not injured), Hargreaves etc.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Hargreaves? He wasn't even in the first five for the play-off decider! Or was he?
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Hargreaves? He wasn't even in the first five for the play-off decider! Or was he?
No, he went missing. More embarrasing for him really as he'd said in an interview for Radio Oxford aired just prior to the game that if he was asked to take a penalty he would stand up and be counted. Yeah right, still rankles with me even now :x