Sweet and Sour. Highs and Lows.

Anything yellow and blue
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Maybe they spend their time gassing on about 1955 Headington United programmes in mint condition instead.

Fair cop, AO.

Some years ago, on the right side of the London Road Stand, during 'flat periods' of games we used to pick eg an 'OUFC Ugly XI' (Ray Gaston, Paul Kee, John Shuker etc) or (memorably) an 'OUFC Convicted Drink Drivers XI'. I think we got about half a dozen, including Billy Whitehurst but my memory has faded.

Unlike a number of my Headington United programmes from the 1950s which are carefully preserved in a crate in my loft.

Feel free to call me an idiot.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Absolutely, and he'll show us that for the third game in succession tomorrow night.
He's got to show it for 1 game before he shows it for 3 in succession.
I honestly do wonder if some of our supporters actually watch the game sometimes. Maybe they spend their time gassing on about 1955 Headington United programmes in mint condition instead.

:wink:
I stopped all that nonsense some time ago and profited very nicely from selling them on thank you very much!!

Anyway it must be difficult for you old boys sitting at the back with your eyesight not as good as it used to be. :lol:
deanwindass
Puberty

Re:

Post by deanwindass »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:I was responding to the general points made - one of which was that Wright is a better player than Fozzie because Brighton paid £100k for him. In my book that doesn't make him a better player, had he gone to Brighton and been a success (to me going back on loan to a non league club after half a season doesn't count as a success) then I would buy that argument.

And I'm sorry if you're let out on loan to a club two divisions lower down than you that means you're not good enough for that team. Buckle isn't an idiot (got Torquay up last year) clearly rates Green in this division - he signed him by offering him a better deal than we did, yet didn't feel he could do it in the league. Using your own argument if Beano and Green are such good players why didn't a club other than a mid table (at the time in the case of Beano) non league club come in for them? At no point did I say that any of these players were &quotrubbish&quot which you seem to be saying that I did - talk about a misrepresentation of my view! If Wright is so good why did no-one from even league 2 pick him up?

A difference of opinion does not equate to a lack of knowledge - unless you're saying your argument is right and everyone else is an idiot - I'm not the only one who thinks Wright hasn't justified getting rid of Fozzie yet - the board seems about 50/50 to me.

You seem to be basing your opinion on the fact that he was signed by Brighton and their fans were sad to see him go rather than his actual performances in a yellow shirt.
Untrue. If you read my posts on the topic you'll see that I am basing my opinion primarily on his recent performances. I'll help you out:

&quotWright is far too good for this level and, having watched him very carefully on Saturday, his reading of the game is superb. He's got an brilliant touch, his positioning is excellent and he's much quicker than Day and the Beast. Watch him on Tues, you'll see what I mean.&quot

I cannot understand the criticism being leveled at him. As has been said by others previously, the only goals we've conceded with him in the team were Clarke's error against Tamworth (which wasn't even on target apparently) a pen against Chelmsford, and the two against Luton neither of which were his fault, at least as far as I could see at the time or have subsequently seen on the highlights. For a player returning from injury in a team with an almost completely new defence I'd argue that that was reasonably impressive.

I don't think anyone was saying that purely because Brighton paid £100k for him that means that he is automatically better than Foz. I did make the point, however, that the fact that he was valued so highly by a league 1 club (and still is so by their fans), in comparison with Foz who drummed up rather less interest despite having a much much lower price tag on his head, is perhaps an interesting and relevant illustration of their relative qualities, at least as perceived by the footballing world.

Foz was and is a good player at this level but to say that he is overrated by some is an understatement. He looked very good in comparison with Quinn and Wilmott but he had poor discipline, poor distribution, a propensity to dive in and apparent attitude problems behind the scenes.

I'd argue that the fact that Buckle hardly played Green in the conference shows that he didn't rate him full stop - the season they went up, in the league he made 15 appearances, 15 as a sub and mostly as a winger - not just in L2.

The lack of knowledge point was a reference to the fact that you were clearly unaware that Wright had been in the side at Brighton prior to an injury, rather than just being deemed not good enough.

We signed both Green and Beano pre season so our mid-table status was rather more to do with the alphabet than our performances on the pitch, I'd argue. We have also been one of the favourites to go up at the start of each season and clearly have one of the biggest wage budgets which probably helps to explain why we, rather than other clubs in our division and the poorer half in the league above, were able to be in the market for these players.

I agree that it's surprising that we, rather than a L2 side, managed to get Wright. As I said I'd put a lot of that down to Wilder's history with the player and our league position.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

...helps to explain why we, rather than other clubs in our division and the poorer half in the league above, were able to be in the market for these players.

I agree that it's surprising that we, rather than a L2 side, managed to get Wright. As I said I'd put a lot of that down to Wilder's history with the player and our league position.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Wright plays for us - Fact.
Fozzie plays for Mansfield - Fact.

All the rest is opinion. Whilst a bit of a debate adds interest I'm tiring of this one. I do worry though that some might just be waiting (hoping?) for Wright to make a howler to enable a smug - told you so - to be delivered.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Kill me. Kill me now.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quottomoufc&quot wrote:I agree we should not be calling people idiots. Please don't. We're all yellows after all.
You mean it's implicit? :D

Let's face it, if we had any brains we'd all be Reading supporters by now.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote:I agree we should not be calling people idiots. Please don't. We're all yellows after all.

[dodgy eastern european accent]Kill him![/accent]
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

[dodgy eastern european accent]Kill him![/accent]
I'm perfectly safe from an OUFC hitman providing I stay within 18 yards of him. :twisted:
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Wright plays for us - Fact.
Fozzie plays for Mansfield - Fact.

All the rest is opinion. Whilst a bit of a debate adds interest I'm tiring of this one. I do worry though that some might just be waiting (hoping?) for Wright to make a howler to enable a smug - told you so - to be delivered.
Hmmmm, I don't rate Wright but i certainly would not be smug if he made a howler. I can't think that any Oxford fan, regardless of their opinion of Wright, would be happy to see us concede.

As I said before, if I'm right and he turns out not be good enough then Wilder will soon leave him out like he has done with his other signings who haven't made the grade. However, if I'm wrong and he turns out to be good then everyone's happy.
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Wright is class, Foster is rubbish - shall we leave it at that? :)

Apologies for calling you an idiot.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Re:

Post by The OXman Cometh »

Let's face it, if we had any brains we'd all be Reading supporters by now.[/quote]

Wash your mouth out.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:Wright is class, Foster is rubbish - shall we leave it at that? :)

Apologies for calling you an idiot.
Apology accepted - I think it's been a good debate.

I want him to do well - I want him to become the new Matt Elliott but so far I haven't been impressed when compared to Fozzie or even Beast but I really rate those two as the best centre back pairing we've had for a very long time so that doesn't make him a bad player, just not an improvement on a winning combination.

Btw, Wright was dropped by Russell Slade before he left - he was benched after conceding a penalty late in a game - after sitting on the bench for a couple of games he got injured so don't believe everything AO tells you.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Well, in what was generally a fairly disappointing team performance this evening, I thought Wright was outstanding and easily my OUFC MOM.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Tonkin was my MOM. He gets better every game.