Sweet and Sour. Highs and Lows.

Anything yellow and blue
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote: Number of goals conceded says it all.
Like two in four minutes at Luton? :cry:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:
Blame for the first - Batt
Blame for the second - Clarke
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote: I cannot understand this. Wright is far too good for this level and, having watched him very carefully on Saturday, his reading of the game is superb. He's got an brilliant touch, his positioning is excellent and he's much quicker than Day and the Beast.

Watch him on Tues, you'll see what I mean.
I've watched him closely myself and I can't understand your conclusions.

He is always out of position, he is quicker than Day or Creighton, but that isn't saying much, and he certainly isn't in the quick category. He has been outpaced several times in the few matches he has played.

His heading is poor, which for a centre back is fundamental.

I don't see him reading the game much, more pointing at others to do his dirty work.

The one thing I will credit him with, better than Foster or our existing centre backs, is his tackling, which is pretty mcuh always really well timed.

His passing is much more akin to hoofing as direction and judgement of length of pass is often astray.

May be I'll grow to like him more after a few games.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
It's a team game.

A team that concedes posession, a team that concedes ground, a team that concedes a corner and a team that concedes a goal.

Defensive lines always come under the spotlight when a goal is conceded, but equal spotlight needs to be placed on strikers not taking chances which would equally have produced a different result.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

OR

none v Tamworth (can't blame the defenders for Clarke throwing it in the net)

none v Grays

A penalty v Chelmsford

none v Kidderminster

none v Histon

So that's two 'proper goals' from open play in 6 games (including Luton). Keep that ratio up and we win the league
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote: Like two in four minutes at Luton? :cry:
It's a team game.

A team that concedes posession, a team that concedes ground, a team that concedes a corner and a team that concedes a goal.

Defensive lines always come under the spotlight when a goal is conceded, but equal spotlight needs to be placed on strikers not taking chances which would equally have produced a different result.
Yes it is a team game - which is why it seemed rather unfair to quote the 2 goals conceded against Luton as evidence against our two centre halves. But in these instances most of the blame goes to the two I have quoted above.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:&quotfarking hell we are farking rubbish. farking hell histon are rubbish. farking hell batt is rubbish. farking hell. farking hell batt. who's playing up front? farking hell.&quot

somewhere around X66
One of the most embarrassing individuals I've heard at footy in twenty plus years. The idiot was laying into Batt less than ten minutes into the game. The question about who was playing up front came after 30 minutes. :oops:
I hope plenty of fans laid into this farking idiot. Verabally that is.

Where was the farking idiot sit / stood?
He was round about X66 in the OM stand.

One person had a go at him about 10 minutes into the game and he laid off Batt after that. Well, until the second half when he seemed to delight in slagging Batt off just to try and wind up the guy who'd had a go.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote: I cannot understand this. Wright is far too good for this level and, having watched him very carefully on Saturday, his reading of the game is superb. He's got an brilliant touch, his positioning is excellent and he's much quicker than Day and the Beast.

He is always out of position, he is quicker than Day or Creighton, but that isn't saying much, and he certainly isn't in the quick category. He has been outpaced several times in the few matches he has played.

I don't see him reading the game much, more pointing at others to do his dirty work.

The one thing I will credit him with, better than Foster or our existing centre backs, is his tackling, which is pretty mcuh always really well timed.

His passing is much more akin to hoofing as direction and judgement of length of pass is often astray.

Completely agree. Like I said after the Luton game, Wright spends 95% of the time totally out of position. Hargreaves covers for him a lot.

However, as pointed out, we aren't conceding many goals so we shouldn't conplain too much. If his sloppy positional play starts costing us then I'm sure Wilder will address the issue sooner rather than later.

I still wonder what Creighton did that was so wrong though!!
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

Wright is a better player than Foster. Evidenced by fact that he was signed for £100k by a League 1 club last season. Didn't see you at the game on Saturday GY, were you in a different seat?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:

Wright is a better player than Foster. Evidenced by fact that he was signed for £100k by a League 1 club last season. Didn't see you at the game on Saturday GY, were you in a different seat?
Arsenal once paid about £10mil for Francis Jeffers.............
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[ Didn't see you at the game on Saturday GY, were you in a different seat?
If my observational skills were correct - same seat, late arrival. GY will of course confirm.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

I sat one row further back as I had my daughter with me and there wasn't a spare seat in our usual place.

Wright a better player than Foster? :lol: hahahahaha
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[ Didn't see you at the game on Saturday GY, were you in a different seat?
If my observational skills were correct - same seat, late arrival. GY will of course confirm.
I began in my normal seat with my daughter sat on my lap, but she fidgets a bit and was slightly obstructing my mates view, so I moved one row back.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
I began in my normal seat with my daughter sat on my lap, but she fidgets a bit and was slightly obstructing my mates view, so I moved one row back.
Very considerate of you.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: I've watched him closely myself and I can't understand your conclusions.

I sat one row further back as I had my daughter with me and there wasn't a spare seat in our usual place.

Wright a better player than Foster? :lol: hahahahaha
Absolutely, and he'll show us that for the third game in succession tomorrow night.