Top of the league again

Anything yellow and blue
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Top of the league again

Post by Matt D »

hurrah?

if we stumble over the line in that manner in april i shan't complain, but the oxford 'fire in the belly' we've been treated to over the last 12 months was strangely absent as we moved towards the end of the game.

i had several discussions with people as to whether we created sufficient chances to win - i think we did. but poor finishing meant we sadly came away with just a point, and the pressure on tuesday night is greater than we might otherwise have liked.

before the game the talking point had been whether constable would play on tuesday - as a friend pointed out, he's become more disciplined in his conduct with officials, but i thought back to the battle he had with ashton, when straight after the referee had been handing out cards he led with the elbow. lo and behold...

tuesday starts to feel like the dagenham game from our first season in the conference, but with the boot being on the other foot for Us. luton will be puffing their chests out and roaring defiance, but there's a bubble there to be burst. the absence of constable should be manageable in terms of the options available to wilder, but he is our talisman, and more to the point, he worries luton.

i, for one, shall be holding on to my hat come tuesday. c'mon you yellows!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I thought we created plenty of chances, especially in the first half. But the final ball was lacking, all too often delayed, or the wrong option taken. Had we gone in at half time with 4 goals to our benefit, no one could have complained.

The second half was much more even. in terms of balance of play and chances reated, and if anything Kiddy had the best chance of the game.

Having said that, I didn't think we played very well throughout the game. It was a very dis-jointed performance, and rarely did we put together 5 consecutive completed passes.

Constable worked hard, but was caught offside far too often. He should have learned to deal with the very well organised Kiddy back line. I thought his booking was unfair based on a clash of heads, but someone else said he led with an elbow, in which case, what a silly boy.

Potter looked dangerous with the ball, as he always does, but he never looked like scoring.

Shame Potter was taken off really. Theoretically it was to enable Hargreaves to bolster the poor performing central midfield, not that it worked as Hargreaves was utterly crap. He touched the ball 3 times from the time of coming on (I counted deliberately), a not dissimilar situation to Chelmsford the week before.

The only surprise with Green coming on for Cook was that it didn't happen sooner. Cook really didn't look interested in playing. I've no idea if it is a physical or mental problem, but it was pointless having him in the side.

We improved a lot when Midson came on, later on and I would think he must be the inevitable direct replacement for Constable against Loo Town. He looked bright against Chelmsford as well and may just be starting to find some form.

Our midfield were a bit small to deal with the Land of the Giants that Kiddy presented. Clist and Deering were frequently forced off the ball in the first half, but Deering learned to cope with the unpunished excessive Kiddy physical side. It too the ref 5 fouls by just one of the Kiddy players to give a booking, and the rest of them were just as bad.

Clist didn't play much of part in the attacking sid of te game, but was good cover for the wandering Jake Wright in defence.

Deering played with no little skill and enthsiasm as he always does, and when he managed to avoid being scythed down by Kiddy, he looked our best player by some distance.

Bulman looked out of the game and nable to get involved. This has been happening for a few weeks now, and when combined with Clist's reduced performance, our midfield looked weak.

I'm sorry but I don't see what Jake Wright has to offer. He can't head the ball and we look much weaker since he replaced Foster.

Similarly I think Creighton is a much better player than Day, who is an OK replacement but nohing more. With foster gone, surely a back pairing of Creighton and Day must be on the cards.

Not sure if it was Tonkin or Wright, but which flung their right arm into the opponents face on the far side of the pitch, was lucky ot stay on the pitch imho.

Tonkin played reasonably well at left back but I want tosee him get forward more.

Batt had maybe his worst game for Oxfor, giving the ball away frequently, but he still asn't worthy of the abuse that a ouple of supporters in SSU gave him, and you begin to wonder as to their motives.

Clarke did well and made a couple of good saves. My only very slight concern with Clarke is that he doesn't come for crosses too well, preferring to let the centre backs deal with high balls.

I thought Kiddy were solid, but not great, and we should be taking the pints of mid table teams at home.

We'll do very well to get anything at Luton based on yesterday's performance, and Luton are finding some form, even beating Barrow at the graveyard that is Holker Street.

Ref was poor again, not controlling the game an allowing a lot of bad challenges to go unpunished. Constable should have had a penalty having played the ball between 2 Kiddy defenders, following at and being brought down. We should have had a player sent of as referred to above. Deering was constantly brought down when through, yet nothing done about it. Then there was the melee atthe end. I think Hargreaves said something to one fo the Kiddy players, who then started some handbags. The Kiddy player should have been sent off, but a Kiddy player was only booked. I say a Kiidy player because I'm not convinced that the ref got the right player even.

OUFC performance 6/10
Kiddy performance 5.5/10
Ref performance 4/10

Not an afternoon to remember.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

I hate text limiters.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I hate text limiters.
Why? - You've said what you wanted to say succinctly in 4 words.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Only joking of course - You have summed the game up excellently imho even if cut off in full flow. And full flow was something the team never managed to achieve yesterday.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

A potentially very decent game was ruined by the referee, who refused to let the play flow.

Constable was dreadful, cannot see why the back 4 merit a slagging, they all played decently.

Hargreaves has a role to play , he is not and never will be Murray however.

Would like to see 4-4-2 on Tuesday with Deering and Potter on the flanks.

Green M tormented Luton last time out and must start, as should Midson.
leicesteryellow
Toddler

Post by leicesteryellow »

I agree with most that has been said above, apart from:

Hargreaves as crap? As soon as he came on Kiddy were pushed back at least 10 yards, I dont know how many times he touched the ball i wasn't counting, but I know one of his touches was a vital header away for a corner when they had a man closing in on the back post. I also know he on more tackles in ten minutes than clist and cook do in whole games.

Also I disagree with the bulman comment, for me he covered lots of ground as usual and won no end of tackles and started moves off. He also put in a great run and cross to set up midson with an easy chance from which he should have scored.

On another note, I didn't hear anything on radio oxford or have read anything on here yet asking why wilder dropped the players who have been scoring for us recently and play people like cook who has not played or scored recently, and is clearly out of form? Cook has had one good game since his return to oxford - the luton game, not enough.

Yes wilder is a good manager, the best we've had for years, so total support to him in the ground. But i think he needs to follow some of his own advice and keep cool.
Changing the two centre halves at this point is very strange. Creighton does not deserve to be dropped. I saw the highlights of the chelmsford game and in that game as well as yesterday wright looked shakey. Now is not the time for experimenting, now is the time for playing your best team from the kick off in a formation that works. I dont think we've done that for a while now.
Also it's obvious cook and potter are not up to it, they should not be playing instead of people like midson or green.
We can win this league, we have the players, but we need some consistency in this team now.

Having said all that, I wouldnt be surprised if get something at luton, so fingers crossed :)
leicesteryellow
Toddler

Re:

Post by leicesteryellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I
Batt had maybe his worst game for Oxfor, giving the ball away frequently, but he still asn't worthy of the abuse that a ouple of supporters in SSU gave him, and you begin to wonder as to their motives.

. D
agreed, same in the SSL, dont think the team merited booing off the field either
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotleicesteryellow&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I

. D
agreed, same in the SSL, dont think the team merited booing off the field either
I don't think the team were booed off the field - Certainly not at the end of the first half. The boos were for the referee.

More generally about the performance we seemed to lack the will to kill off Kidderminster despite having the vast majority of posession. I think Constable had one of his worst performances and Jamie Cook was also poor. Should have started with Midson (ideally in a 4-4-2) to provide some height up front - Cook, Potter and Deering were collectively far too small and lightweight.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Green M tormented Luton last time out and must start, as should Midson.
True Green M tormented Luton last time out. That was then. This is now. he tormented no one yesterday.

Without Beano, Midson will start surely?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotleicesteryellow&quot wrote: Hargreaves as crap? As soon as he came on Kiddy were pushed back at least 10 yards, I dont know how many times he touched the ball i wasn't counting, but I know one of his touches was a vital header away for a corner when they had a man closing in on the back post. I also know he on more tackles in ten minutes than clist and cook do in whole games.:)
But (&amp not having a go at Hargreaves here) this is all defensive stuff. Whilst it might have preserved a point what we should really be in a position to achieve with our substitutions is to go on the offensive and win the bloody game.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I'd also want to stick up for Hargreaves - the header referred to above was seconds after being involved on the left touchline in the Kiddy half - for a 37-yearold, the coverage of the pitch was impressive.

I agree about Cook - desperately out of sorts, and I can't see why.

To some extent, Wilder can't win: yesterday's side was the 'small and skilful' one, and one might argue a better bet to beat the giants. Had he chosen the 'large and physical' one, it could have been argued that there was no way we could beat Kidderminster at their own game. The main problem yesterday was the inability to convert two chances where we effectively had two players to beat their keeper - as Wilder said, a lack of composure.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:I'd also want to stick up for Hargreaves - the header referred to above was seconds after being involved on the left touchline in the Kiddy half - for a 37-yearold, the coverage of the pitch was impressive.

I agree about Cook - desperately out of sorts, and I can't see why.

To some extent, Wilder can't win: yesterday's side was the 'small and skilful' one, and one might argue a better bet to beat the giants. Had he chosen the 'large and physical' one, it could have been argued that there was no way we could beat Kidderminster at their own game. The main problem yesterday was the inability to convert two chances where we effectively had two players to beat their keeper - as Wilder said, a lack of composure.
I came away disappointed yesterday and also rather worried when I heard CW's lack of composure on the post-match interview. However, on reflection, we should have scored in the first 20 seconds, Beano should have had at least one pen and Deering should have put his chance away. On another day, 3-0 to us (conveniently ignoring Kiddy's good chance towards the end).

York though do worry me - let's hope 19 Feb reduces their squad.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotRadley RamblerOn another day, 3-0 to us (conveniently ignoring Kiddy's good chance towards the end).[/quote]

But we were saying &quoton another day&quot after the Tamworth defeat.
And &quoton another day&quot we would not have beaten York at home.
Anyway, Tuesday is &quotanother day&quot - and who knows what that will bring. Truth be told there's not a lot of optimism around at the mo for this one though, is there?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

The fact is that we're not all that convincing at the moment, and the slight decline began in November, and in my view this is because a successful team has been tinkered with.

As has been stated above, we need to get back to a settled side. Playing our best XI in a straightforward formation which gets the most out of our players. We have the best squad, so we should let everyone else worry about adapting their game to suit us, not us disrupting our game to suit their styles.

Let the opposition try to wrestle the title away from us whilst we take it out of their reach.

If we recognise our superiority, we will prevail.