Fixture congestion

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Fixture congestion

Post by Myles Francis »

I'm not one for totalling fowl prior to egg-crackage, but IF we were to beat Kiddy in the FAT it means that we will be playing three games in a week at least once, if not twice.

The FAT semis are scheduled for 13th and 20th March which means the Kettering (H) and Tamworth (a) games will be moved. The only free Tuesday night between 13th March and end of season is 16th March, and Kettering are already scheduled to play on that date. It may be possible to bring the Tamworth fixture forward to that Tuesday but, if not, it's going to be fun trying to squeeze the fixtures in.

One sensible-ish date would be Weds 7th April, but that will still mean 4 games in 8 days: Hayes (3rd April), Salisbury (5th), TBA (7th), and Alty (10th).

So, again, IF we beat Kiddy, it looks like a Thursday fixture is on the cards at some point!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Fixture congestion

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I'm not one for totalling fowl prior to egg-crackage, but IF we were to beat Kiddy in the FAT it means that we will be playing three games in a week at least once, if not twice.

The FAT semis are scheduled for 13th and 20th March which means the Kettering (H) and Tamworth (a) games will be moved. The only free Tuesday night between 13th March and end of season is 16th March, and Kettering are already scheduled to play on that date. It may be possible to bring the Tamworth fixture forward to that Tuesday but, if not, it's going to be fun trying to squeeze the fixtures in.

One sensible-ish date would be Weds 7th April, but that will still mean 4 games in 8 days: Hayes (3rd April), Salisbury (5th), TBA (7th), and Alty (10th).

So, again, IF we beat Kiddy, it looks like a Thursday fixture is on the cards at some point!
Not forgetting that we still have February to go which can be very prone to further postponements.

There have been so many postponements for all teams, I think there needs to be serious consideration to extending the season by at least 1 week.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I'm not one for totalling fowl prior to egg-crackage, but IF we were to beat Kiddy in the FAT it means that we will be playing three games in a week at least once, if not twice.

Not forgetting that we still have February to go which can be very prone to further postponements.

There have been so many postponements for all teams, I think there needs to be serious consideration to extending the season by at least 1 week.
Brian Lee is on record as saying that the season will only be extended when there are more games than days left.
Peterorange
Puberty

Post by Peterorange »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:

Brian Lee is on record as saying that the season will only be extended when there are more games than days left.
Idiot! (him not you)

But not as idiotic as Gosford Sports Centre in Kidlington, who cancelled our 5-a-side league AGAIN last night. Slightest bit of frost and the games are off. Once they were postponed because the astro was 'waterlogged' How the hell does an astro get waterlogged?!!! So we have a seven game season that started on Dec 7th and will not end until 1st March. If it doesnt rain, snow or freeze again before then :roll: .

Sorry about that, I feel better now. Back to OUFC. Yes, lots of games to fit in, I'm glad Wilder has beefed up the squad.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

If we draw with Kidderminster, the replay will be on 23rd February thus knocking out the AFC Wimbledon home game resulting in another 3 game week.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:If we draw with Kidderminster, the replay will be on 23rd February thus knocking out the AFC Wimbledon home game resulting in another 3 game week.
But think of the pies :D
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Isn't that the point about having a strong squad? With Stevanage and York in with a good chance of reaching the semis we're in, I would argue, a better position than these teams to cope with the congestion.

Winning breeds winning - the cup has allowed us to get over our blip and give playing time to a new defence and some fringe players.

I for one would love to see Oxford at Wembley - not having had the chance in my lifetime I say lets go for the cup, we may never have the chance to go again - not all of us were old enough to go in 1986 don't you know.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Isn't part of the problem that players will only be contracted until the end of the season. So we could be in a situation where the season is extended, but players are ooc?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Isn't that the point about having a strong squad? With Stevanage and York in with a good chance of reaching the semis we're in, I would argue, a better position than these teams to cope with the congestion.

Winning breeds winning - the cup has allowed us to get over our blip and give playing time to a new defence and some fringe players.

I for one would love to see Oxford at Wembley - not having had the chance in my lifetime I say lets go for the cup, we may never have the chance to go again - not all of us were old enough to go in 1986 don't you know.
Do you know what? I think that's a pretty good assessment.

And we're only 2 wins (of ties) from Wembley.

Imagine how nice it would be to beat Stevenage to the title then rub their noses in it by beating them at Wemberlee as well. :D
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I know we've got a build up of games but does anyone know why we're playing Tamworth away on a Sunday?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I know we've got a build up of games but does anyone know why we're playing Tamworth away on a Sunday?
Sport Relief possibly?

Also, that's the day Drayton Manor re-opens for the season, so perhaps the rozzers are feeling a bit stretched.

The midweek game is on a wednesday too. Odd.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:I know we've got a build up of games but does anyone know why we're playing Tamworth away on a Sunday?
It was changed before the start of the season. I think it's because they share stewards with someone proper, like Derby or summat.

The midweek game is on Wednesday because this game is on the Sunday, innit.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Isn't part of the problem that players will only be contracted until the end of the season. So we could be in a situation where the season is extended, but players are ooc?
I thought they are contracted to 30 June each year. It was only under Kassam that he tried the cheapskate of shortening them.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Isn't part of the problem that players will only be contracted until the end of the season. So we could be in a situation where the season is extended, but players are ooc?
I thought they are contracted to 30 June each year. It was only under Kassam that he tried the cheapskate of shortening them.
FA RULE C 1(e)
A registration for a period in excess of one calendar month is effected when The Association receives Form “G(2)
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

Why is it that under Kassam it was him being a cheapskate, but under WPL they are simply being careful with the finances?