Oh..

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Oh..

Post by Mally »

Bugger!

Makes me feel glad I'm leaving the country first thing tomorrow morning.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

But you still have the internet, so it's not going to go away.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

But things must be ok really, cos we did so well in the friendlies...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

We all know friendlies are absolutely meaningless - they bear no resemblance to the the real thing. Did any on the teams we came up against pre-season play the way Barrow did or show the commitment Barrow did. No, of course not.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

still, we are not bottom and we're only 3 points off the top! Happy days!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The next three games will be interesting.

Two at home against relegation candidates (with points gained and the team performances as important as the number of punters showing up given that we’re 500 down on ST sales from last season) and then that game in Wales.

Six points at home to crap like Weymouth and Eastbourne should not be out of our reach, and it’s well beyond time we did something decent on Setanta.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

so, does anyone have anything to say about the game?

before kick-off, i said to the friends i was watching with that the pitch looked short. we were looking to play people in when they had little space to run into, and we seemed unable to deal with a congested midfield. other than that, all i can really say is that we seemed to have few players who wanted to live with an energetic barrow side, so if someone could explain what happened to me, i'd be most grateful.

i'm all in favour of the respect for referees campaign, but given this is away from the game, i'm going to say that was a rubbish decision on the clarke tackle as far as i'm concerned, and if that's now the definition of a 'dangerous tackle', i despair. two-footed? well, yes, in the sense that james clarke has two feet. but given that the other was tucked under his thigh as he made the tackle...

in short: have we gone back in time to christmas 2007? for barrow read droylsden. my godson's a big dr. who fan, and advises me that the whole club would have to be inside the tardis, but i'm not ruling it out yet.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Other than an incredible sense of misery and despair at least we can turn it round tomorrow..can we please...please..
:cry:
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

United did NOT start the match properly. The team did not start on the front foot and impose it's style of play on Barrow and we allowed them to
come on to us. Suicidal tactics for me and not at all brave. Oxford played straight into Barrow's hands. Everything we should have done: we failed to do. The passing was poor and there was a complete lack of link up play.

We have to be &quotat it&quot from the first whistle and play with the right attitude and spirit and with common sense.

Also, you cannot play russian roulette with Conference referee's !
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Ever the optimist I know, but I cannot help but smile at the fact that we are already off the bottom of the table, to be replaced by Westley's mob!

I guess the question is whether we are at last set up to make the Kassam work for us this season - ie. can we at last use a big, decent pitch to our advantage to open up teams coming to defend?

Re: Clarke - I guess it is one of those where he gave the referee the opportunity to send him off, which at this level some will take (particularly on the first weekend of the season, on TV). How dangerous it actually was doesn't really matter in the end, it is how damgerous it looks at first glance, potentially from not a very good viewpoint.

At least the games come thick and fast at this time of the season, so a quick opportunity to put this to bed and start the season properly tomorrow...
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

The crucial points from the Barrow game for me were:

Just prior to the sending off Clarke was fouled and was obviously annoyed by it. The sending off was for a retaliation tackle. He's still young so the captain should be looking out for things like that and having a quiet word.

Yemi was played out of position and looked much better once he played on the wing. Moving Yemi meant we also had a second string at right wing. If Guy had been replaced by (say) Husbands only one position would have been weakened not two. Black mark for Patterson.

Wilmott was off the pace.

If Hinchliffe had been in the centre of the goal he would still have struggled to reach that free kick.

It was a dive for the penalty.

Credit to Barrow, they played well.

Apart from that there were still some positive aspects to our play and I haven't given up hope of a win against Weymouth tomorrow.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotGeoff&quot wrote:The crucial points from the Barrow game for me were:

Just prior to the sending off Clarke was fouled and was obviously annoyed by it. The sending off was for a retaliation tackle. He's still young so the captain should be looking out for things like that and having a quiet word.

Yemi was played out of position and looked much better once he played on the wing. Moving Yemi meant we also had a second string at right wing. If Guy had been replaced by (say) Husbands only one position would have been weakened not two. Black mark for Patterson.

Wilmott was off the pace.

If Hinchliffe had been in the centre of the goal he would still have struggled to reach that free kick.

It was a dive for the penalty.

Credit to Barrow, they played well.

Apart from that there were still some positive aspects to our play and I haven't given up hope of a win against Weymouth tomorrow.
It was a dive, but if the player hadn't taken a dive, the keeper would have taken him out. He was NOWHERE near the ball and there was no argument to the penner in my book.
Last edited by recordmeister on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

At least we're not as shit as Stevenage.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:I guess the question is whether we are at last set up to make the Kassam work for us this season - ie. can we at last use a big, decent pitch to our advantage to open up teams coming to defend?
yes, i wonder if this might be the case too.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Clarke had to go. I was in The Kite with about 10 other Oxford fans and those of us who still play the game (despite being partizan) all agreed it was a dangerous challenge that could have broken Logan's leg.

Interestingly those who don't play anymore generally thought Clarke was unlucky - perhaps the differing opinions relate to the attitude to these sorts of tackles when each individual played the game themselves.

One things for sure, if a Barrow defender had done that to Yemi, we'd all have been calling for a red card.