Even Greater Leys

Anything yellow and blue
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Even Greater Leys

Post by Sideshow Rob »

I see this plan is back in the news:

http&#58//www&#46oxfordmail&#46net/news ... mes&#46php

Didn't Kassam have a plan of buying land opposite the stadium to build another car park when he was Chairman of the football club?

I see elsewhere he is about to strike a deal to allow the existing car park as a motorcycle test centre.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: Even Greater Leys

Post by Mally »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:I see this plan is back in the news:

http&#58//www&#46oxfordmail&#46net/news ... mes&#46php

Didn't Kassam have a plan of buying land opposite the stadium to build another car park when he was Chairman of the football club?

I see elsewhere he is about to strike a deal to allow the existing car park as a motorcycle test centre.
The value of a flattened stadium, should OUFC be unable to pay the agreed rent, has just dramatically increased.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

You could more cheerfully say that in a few years there could be 5,000 new potential OUFC supporters within walking distance of the ground ...
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Almost as quick to drive to Reading and a better chance of passing a decent pub on the way...
entirely disenchanted
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:You could more cheerfully say that in a few years there could be 5,000 new potential OUFC supporters within walking distance of the ground ...
And a few thousand more car parking spaces.

Perhaps.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:You could more cheerfully say that in a few years there could be 5,000 new potential OUFC supporters within walking distance of the ground ...
5,000? I think there will be at least three times as many living there if it ever goes ahead. This has also revived talk of a railway station adjacent to the overflow car park. A shuttle service from Oxford Station on match days would be a massive bonus. Even Justin might find a pub to his liking within easy reach of the stadium.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

This is all potentially great news if the football club owned the stadium. Unfortunately, as we know, they don't so it's only good news if they can buy the stadium and secure the site.

If I was Kassam I'd be very happy about the development going ahead because he's got a win win situation. If the club do buy the stadium he can now ask a higher price (or at the very least stand a better chance of the club paying the asking price) but on the other hand if they can't and don't then the land has greater value for alternative development.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote: If the club do buy the stadium he can now ask a higher price (or at the very least stand a better chance of the club paying the asking price) but on the other hand if they can't and don't then the land has greater value for alternative development.
You are not suggesting for one moment are you that FK will up the price that was agreed on day 1 by both sides but which WPL were unwilling / unable to finance?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: If the club do buy the stadium he can now ask a higher price (or at the very least stand a better chance of the club paying the asking price) but on the other hand if they can't and don't then the land has greater value for alternative development.
You are not suggesting for one moment are you that FK will up the price that was agreed on day 1 by both sides but which WPL were unwilling / unable to finance?
No because the club have an option at that price. However it means that any chance of a compromise on the price will have diminished.

Having said that does anybody remember the length of the option that was negotiated with Kassam?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
No because the club have an option at that price. However it means that any chance of a compromise on the price will have diminished.

Having said that does anybody remember the length of the option that was negotiated with Kassam?
The option wasn't time constrained as far as I remember, or rather any time constraint was never published. No doubt it will have been restricted in the very least to the period of initial tenancy.

I think the impact of the proposed expansion of Geater Leys on the land value of the KasStad will not be apparent for many years. The development is on the basis of 400 new homes per year, with 40% being low cost no profit housing, and with significant restrictions on the type of housing in terms of carbon emmissions and so on. the impact of the credit crunch will have a bigger effect on the stadium company value for the next 3 years at least, and that will be in a downwards direction. So in the short to medium term, there remains scope for a price negotiation, if, and that is a big if, Kassam has a better (more lucrative) use for the money in that timescale.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:
5,000? I think there will be at least three times as many living there if it ever goes ahead. This has also revived talk of a railway station adjacent to the overflow car park. A shuttle service from Oxford Station on match days would be a massive bonus. Even Justin might find a pub to his liking within easy reach of the stadium.
Why, have facilities at the station improved dramatically since I was there last?
entirely disenchanted
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

The ticket machine now dispenses Harvey's South Down Harvest.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Is that all?

I was expecting an enchanted fountain of Old Hooky to erupt spontaneously from under the platform.
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Is that all?

I was expecting an enchanted fountain of Old Hooky to erupt spontaneously from under the platform.
Now that might even persuade me to go by train.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

it would also explain the cost of rail travel today.