EURO 2008 Musings...

Anything yellow and blue
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Good.

To be fair, I was basing that premise on my recollection that England didn't have to qualify for Mexico '70, which wasn't particularly recent.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:I can't think of any good reason why the hosts shouldn't have to qualify.
Apart from the obvious financial reason in as much as the tournament would be a financial disaster if the locals didn't have an interest.

Yes I know the locals won't have much of an interest in the current competition for much longer and because of this I suspect that it will not be one of the most financially successful tournaments ever, that and the fact that the English aren't over there drinking both nations dry.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Good.

To be fair, I was basing that premise on my recollection that England didn't have to qualify for Mexico '70, which wasn't particularly recent.
When was the exemption for holders dropped?
entirely disenchanted
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:Good.

When was the exemption for holders dropped?
Brazil were the first to have to qualify after winning in 2002.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Fantastic. Away team, goal down, pissing down, blood pouring out of various players' heads at various times, rollocking equaliser, injury-time winner. I think I'll support Turkey from here.
Good choice. What a finish! Within inches of going 3:0 down with 15 minutes to play and then they win 3:2.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Not a good choice to play that game on my birthday though....
entirely disenchanted
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Fantastic. Away team, goal down, pissing down, blood pouring out of various players' heads at various times, rollocking equaliser, injury-time winner. I think I'll support Turkey from here.
Good choice. What a finish! Within inches of going 3:0 down with 15 minutes to play and then they win 3:2.
Jan Koller was clean through and could have made it 3-0. It was a poor miss.

Koller was barely touched by Volkan yet the huge 6 ft 7&quot Czech striker
hit the deck as if he had been shot by a sniper.

Cheats never prosper.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
Jan Koller was clean through and could have made it 3-0. It was a poor miss.

Koller was barely touched by Volkan yet the huge 6 ft 7&quot Czech striker
hit the deck as if he had been shot by a sniper.

Cheats never prosper.
Sorry?? The Turkish keeper acted like a maniac! Great game , but both such average teams.

Moving on I find the wild and woolly rumours about OUFC's 08/09 squad most amusing. C'mon on guys, no one has a clue what's going on.

We are most definitely going to get relegated if we don't sign 5 players by Wednesday night though :?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I thought the match was very much like us against Exeter in the play off second leg. Despite being 2 goals to the good there was only one team who were going to win it, especially once that first goal went in.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Was anybody else reminded of the goal Alan Cork scored at Plough Lane in 1987?
entirely disenchanted
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Russia

Post by OUFC4eva »

ANDREI ARSHAVIN - what a magical little player.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Was anybody else reminded of the goal Alan Cork scored at Plough Lane in 1987?
Please remind me - I was probably there but have no recollection of this.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I don't think I've ever before seen a player shown a red card and be allowed to play on, except possibly in cases of mistaken identity.

What a farcical sequence of decision-making, almost all of it entirely incorrect, yet the ITV commentators were falling over themselves to say how brilliantly the officials had handled it.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:Was anybody else reminded of the goal Alan Cork scored at Plough Lane in 1987?
Please remind me - I was probably there but have no recollection of this.
Injury time, we're one up, our keeper (Hucker I think) races out to get a ball which he doesn't get and the winger (presumably Wise) crosses it for Cork to head home the equaliser.

I also remember thinking I'd take the short cut back to the Tube station afterwards and walking about two extra miles because it didn't exist.
entirely disenchanted
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I remember that game.

It was a hot August Saturday at Plough Lane and it was watched by a paltry
first division attendance of just over 4,000.

We scored in the first half through Martin Foyle and were well on top but
we defended too deep as the second half wore on and the Dons got that very,very late leveller through Cork. I was raging in the car going home because we threw away two vital points because Peter Hucker went walkabouts.

I recall Billy Whitehurst being on the pitch for Oxford.