Back Room Shake Up

Anything yellow and blue
scooter
Dashing young thing

Back Room Shake Up

Post by scooter »

According to the OM.

Changing scouting arrangements to use &quotThe Scouting Network&quot and doing away with Bobby Roberts.

Les Taylor to take over the youth team to free up Mickey for full time first team coaching.

Paul Sullivan replaced by Lindsay the masseur.

New conditioning coach about to be appointed.

So who's going to be Father Xmas in the club shop this year now?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

We are the only non-league club using The Scouting Network which could be a bit of a problem when we want information on our next opponents.

:D
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: Back Room Shake Up

Post by Mally »

&quotscooter&quot wrote:According to the OM.

Changing scouting arrangements to use &quotThe Scouting Network&quot and doing away with Bobby Roberts.

Les Taylor to take over the youth team to free up Mickey for full time first team coaching.

I seem to remember when Merry &amp Co came in they derided the use of a scouting agency by Kassam.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:

I seem to remember when Merry &amp Co came in they derided the use of a scouting agency by Kassam.
Correct. Better that than nothing though. Cost cutting measures are not unexpected in view of current financial climate though, are they?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Who is Paul Sullivan?
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

My Mate!!

He is Sully the physio's younger brother, a big chap who was the kit man. He is absolutly gutted at the moment as he loved the job.

Steppers
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Neil Sullivan's brother. Been kit man for a couple of seasons, since Ken Ridley got too ill to continue.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:

Correct. Better that than nothing though. Cost cutting measures are not unexpected in view of current financial climate though, are they?
Not sure it is better than nothing. It is payment for a not particularly useful service.

Yes we must expect cost cutting, but I'm far from convinced that cutting the wages of one chief scout and then incurring scouting agency costs, is really going to provide the financial relief required when annual losses are £800k, and it will probably hamper the ability of the club to identify new talent.

I'm unconvinced this is the way to go.

The Les Taylor appointment of youth team coach, is another factor indicating the possible demise, or at least significant reduction, in youth set up at the club.

These decisions are a worry that they represent de-structuring of the club, similar to that which happened under Kassam.

I'm worried that the wrong decisions are still being taken.

To have a viable business, you have to have a viable infrastructure to support the business.

Saving a few thousand here or there, whilst undermining the foundations of the club will make things worse, not better.

The big savings need to be made in player budget.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: I seem to remember when Merry &amp Co came in they derided the use of a scouting agency by Kassam.
Not sure it is better than nothing. It is payment for a not particularly useful service.

Yes we must expect cost cutting, but I'm far from convinced that cutting the wages of one chief scout and then incurring scouting agency costs, is really going to provide the financial relief required when annual losses are £800k, and it will probably hamper the ability of the club to identify new talent.

The Les Taylor appointment of youth team coach, is another factor indicating the possible demise, or at least significant reduction, in youth set up at the club.

These decisions are a worry that they represent de-structuring of the club, similar to that which happened under Kassam.

Er, you could spin a different line of course. That Patterson didn't rate Roberts, Sullivan etc and that changes have been made at his behest.

Look, it seems to me that sometimes the club can't win. Can't we let them get on with running the club without micro scrutiny??

Either they are spending way over the odds on underperformoing players - which is a 'worry' or they are getting rid of unnecessary resource - which is also a 'worry'.

It would be a bigger 'worry' if they were doing jack.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

To have a viable business, you have to have a viable infrastructure to support the business.

Saving a few thousand here or there, whilst undermining the foundations of the club will make things worse, not better.

The wages cap ensures that we can't overspend on players. Because of it's tapering we are more restricted than almost any other clubs (Wrexham may be able to spend more with parachute allowances).

The unfortunate truth is that the club has to cut costs in other areas to try and stem the losses. Whilst we are a Conference club we can't afford what is effectively a League 1 cost base and infrastructure.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Not too sure what evidence you have for that assertion.
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Can't we let them get on with running the club without micro scrutiny??
Why on earth should we? We have, thanks to the internet, the ability to have unprecedented access to information in double-quick time, so why shouldn't we use that to monitor and try and safeguard our club?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Can't we let them get on with running the club without micro scrutiny??
Why on earth should we? We have, thanks to the internet, the ability to have unprecedented access to information in double-quick time, so why shouldn't we use that to monitor and try and safeguard our club?
The Internet is not always the fountain of truth though old chap. Is it?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote: Correct. Better that than nothing though. Cost cutting measures are not unexpected in view of current financial climate though, are they?

Er, you could spin a different line of course. That Patterson didn't rate Roberts, Sullivan etc and that changes have been made at his behest.

Look, it seems to me that sometimes the club can't win. Can't we let them get on with running the club without micro scrutiny??

Either they are spending way over the odds on underperformoing players - which is a 'worry' or they are getting rid of unnecessary resource - which is also a 'worry'.

It would be a bigger 'worry' if they were doing jack.
You could spin that line, but the holes in it would be very visible.

If the reason for the chief scout losing his job was because Patto didn't rate him, then he could have been replaced with another chief scout. That he isn't shows it is a cost cutting measure and little to do with &quotrating&quot him.

I see no reason why the club's administrators should be allowed to run our club without scrutiny. How else would we determine if they are doing their job's properly, or if they needed replacing. If there was no scrutiny, Kassam, no probably Maxwell, would still be charge, and even more pensioners would be in poverty.

The club can win by taking the right decisions. Yes cut playing budget, because we spend more than other clubs and have huge losses. No don't cut the necessary costs that underpin the operation. That isn't a position where the club can't win. Quite th eopposite. But if the wrong decisions are taken it is our right and duty to highlight them.

It isn't always right to defend the club come what may you know.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
The Internet is not always the fountain of truth though old chap. Is it?
That's like saying - People lie therefore you shouldn't believe anything anybody ever tells you. The Internet is no more or less believable than word of mouth, the press or any other source of information.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotMally&quot wrote:

The wages cap ensures that we can't overspend on players. Because of it's tapering we are more restricted than almost any other clubs (Wrexham may be able to spend more with parachute allowances).

The unfortunate truth is that the club has to cut costs in other areas to try and stem the losses. Whilst we are a Conference club we can't afford what is effectively a League 1 cost base and infrastructure.
I don't agree that the wage cap prevents overspending on players. All it does is prevent spending more than a proportion of turnover on players. That doesn't make the spending affordable.

If the club has big losses, it is because it's costs are too high for it's income (and vice versa). Many costs are fixed and unavoidable, and so it is the variable costs which must be changed. If a club spends £800k more than it's income, and the only only area of expense of that magnitude is player costs, then with all the will in the World, no changing of non-player costs will prevent losses. Thereby the club is overspending on player costs irrelevant of what the wage cap says.