The List

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

The List

Post by Isaac »

A novel (potentially suicidal) approach by Patterson to announce, in the middle of january, the players who will be leaving at the end of the season.

Anyone have any guesses who the players will be. And the crucial question, will Patterson end up getting the shove before they do?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: The List

Post by ty cobb »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:A novel (potentially suicidal) approach by Patterson to announce, in the middle of january, the players who will be leaving at the end of the season.

Anyone have any guesses who the players will be. And the crucial question, will Patterson end up getting the shove before they do?
Well after blaiming the front men for not closing down defenders for the reason that we lost the game I think we can safely say Duffy will be on the list, which I think is a shame as he hasn't had a decent strike partner or service for sometime now. I would also suggest losing the game owed more to letting in 3 pretty soft goals and creating very few chances then a forward not busting a gut to close a full back down. But then having a defender and a hard working midfielder as the Management I suppose thats the attitude to expect.

Given Hutch was dropped recently I'd imagine he'll be on it. At a push I guess Willmott, Day Petts (more expensive then Trainer) and Ledgister (which would be a shame).

I still maintain we have the nucleus of a decent team but we have too many similar players - lots of central defenders/central battling midfielders, no creative midfielders and short of a striker to play should Duffy/Mc get injured.

I would also like to see Quinn and Turley put on it. They've both been regulars through our worst period and you can only keep blaiming the plauyers around you for so long. Turley is a decent keeper (not the best in the league as some maintain) but the way he bawls out everyone who makes a mistake doesn't seem to help much. Quinn spends all game whacking it long - don't forget he was suspended for our best win of the season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: The List

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:A novel (potentially suicidal) approach by Patterson to announce, in the middle of january, the players who will be leaving at the end of the season.

Least bad of two evils I think.

Publishing the lsit, means those on it, who by Patto's own statement will still have to be played, will inevitably not go in for the harder challenges for fear of injury. End result = less performance.

But our season is already over, so less performance means very little in terms of being also rans.

The alternative is to keep the players until their contracts are up. End result = maintaining poor performance.

The risky bit is if performances under the first option get even worse, the effect on crowds next season may be even worse.

Lets hope the listed players get moved on quickly.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

The thing that confuses me is how we have allowed the squad to dwindle to the point where there is barely any competition for places, particularly in midfield or up front.

Prior to the window opening, our midfield choice was: Pettifer, hutch, TRainer, Ledgister &amp Rose, plus any defenders who could step up.
The forward choice was, er, Duffy and Yemi. We've signed two more players, one of which has already got injured, but this leaves any manager almost no room for manouvre, as he has almost no choice in who to select each week, particularly once injuries and suspensions come into play, so cannot use selection as a tool to motivate players.

Take the Exeter game - he only has 10 senior players available (including Clarke) and only one striker. He will therefore have to start with at least one youth teamer (presumably Fisher) and fill the bench with his colleagues (at a guess Warrell, Weedon, Benjamin, Taylor, Posey).

I would have thought that he is trying to get one or two more out this month to bring people in, but if that does not succeed, then once we hit Feb 1st, we are going to be unbelievably thin on players up for wearing the shirt...
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Perhaps the hope is that informing players now that come the summer they will no longer be required might result in some actively searching for a new club now instead of waiting for the summer, freeing up some money for new faces.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

Perhaps the hope is that informing players now that come the summer they will no longer be required might result in some actively searching for a new club now instead of waiting for the summer, freeing up some money for new faces.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Hutch has another year on his contract doesn't he? I could have sworn it was a 3 year deal when he signed. He's not going anywhere unless someone wants to take him off our hands.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

Probably will:

- demolish any remaining morale in the squad
- make us an even more unappealing prospect for new players
- make it plain to supporters that players they are likely to see a great deal of for the rest of this season are viewed as worthless by their Manager.

Ancient Colin's point about a 'rotten core' was spot on. This is no way for a professional organisation to behave.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

We may find some of them going out on loan (ie. trial) later on, which may give us the chance to bring someone else in on same basis.
May also spark some of them into trying, in order to attract other clubs for next season.

However, saying that, it is fair to assume that some will also disappear completely...

Hutch, Yemi, Willmott are the three with contracts to 2009, though whether that works for or against them Im not sure...
Those OOC in the summer are: Pettifer, Duffy, Marvin, Jeannin, Eddie, Day, Weedon, Trainer, Ledgister &amp corcoran...the first four are probably on the biggest wads, so probably most at threat...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Jeannin earned an automatic extension to his contract by virtue of playing his 25th game of the season, against Altrincham, so he's now under contract to the end of next season.

And I think Weedon's on a monthly (or possibly even weekly) contract, so he can be ditched at pretty much any time (much like Rose).
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I think Weedon is now on non-contract terms to the end of the season (whatever that means). Rose has just been offered another month.

So, we have 8 players OOC in the summer. I can actually see all of them appearing on the list, with a proviso that if they perform well enough over the rest of the season then the management may reconsider making them an offer (which is, in effect, what we've done every season by not making any offers to anyone until the season has ended).

Whether we see any of the players contracted beyond that on the list (Hutch, Yemi, Willmott, Jeannin) will be interesting...as that would be a more telling indication of Pattos views than a more general &quotprove yourself&quot urge to the OOC gang.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotMooro&quot]
Hutch, Yemi, Willmott are the three with contracts to 2009, though whether that works for or against them Im not sure quote]

Wilmott being on a contract until 2009 just sums up what a shoddily run crap football club we are. When he was given the extention to his old contract he had not played for 6 months because he was injured. It's bloody obvious to me he's a crock. Shame because he WAS a good player and I have every sympathy for him as an individual but I doubt we'll ever see him anywhere near what he was. (I love to be proved wrong). Meanwhile we pay his wages. OUFC is not a charity.
Then there was Gilly - boy have we thrown away the financial advantage we had. Oh, and Marv - or am I being harsh here.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It's a strange decision to announce this now (assuming he does, I wouldn't rule out a change of heart). One of Pattersons supposed selling points was that he got a solid, but untalented youth team to win the league comfortably through motivation and organisation.

He's effectively admitting defeat here isn't he? And handily providing himself with an excuse for any poor performances for the remainder of this season. Jim Smith managed to get better results after all with pretty much the same bunch (who supposedly didn't like him and had lost respect). I don't think any of this reflects well on Patterson or the club, for that matter. I suppose we are at least not pretending we can make the playoffs anymore, but in a lot of ways I'd rather they at least paid lip service to it. Last time we tried to get rid of the big earners halfway through the season we ended up getting relegated out of the league. I wonder if the club has even contemplated a relegation battle - with this side I can see them only winning a handful of games for the remainder of the season, will that definitely be enough?

Anyway, given the choice and ignoring any current contracts I'd get rid of
Wilmott (as he's crocked)
Rose (for the same reason)
Jeannin (useless defender and possible non-trier)
Trainer (a big lump with limited talent, not a midfielder as he rarely moves)
Hutchinson (likewise and probably on big wages)
Corcoran (never been convinced)
Day (probably not good enough although possible utility squad player if wages are cheap)

I suspect Duffy and Yemi will be on the list but I'd keep them both, short of confidence but both have proved they can score in this league with the right service.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Steady on here.

We know there is going to be “a list
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I guess it depends who &quotpeople&quot are

&quotI will have a list of players that will be here and will have to play, because it's all we've got, but their futures lie elsewhere, and I'll let people know that list on Tuesday.&quot

from
http://www.oxfordmail.net/oxfordunited/ ... enough.php