Joey Barton - will he ever learn?

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Joey Barton - will he ever learn?

Post by Radley Rambler »

Last week I read an article about how Joey Barton is misunderstood and often victimised by the press. I'd even begun to think that perhaps I'd been influenced by biased reporting, but then this from the BBC:

'Barton arrested in assault probe

The England midfielder was one of three people arrested
Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been arrested by police in Liverpool following an alleged assault.
The footballer was arrested along with a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman on Church Street in the city centre at 0530 GMT.

Merseyside Police confirmed the three were being held in custody.

A spokesman said: &quotAll three remain in custody for interview and processing and I expect a decision on charges or release will be made later tonight.'

Still, according to Harry Redknapp the police have to arrest you to talk to you so maybe there's no problem after all. Or maybe Joey's helping out his manager by deflecting some of the attention away from him??
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Looks as though it was serious enough for him to be remanded in custody until 3rd January too. Which means he misses two of Newcastle's games.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

And isn't he also due in court soon to answer the Dabo charges?

Looks like there could be three Barton boys in jail soon.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

And the link between Barton, Harry and Sam?

Willie Mckay.

In horse racing people get 'warned off' and banned from any involvement in the sport. I am sure Willie would be high on any FA list if they had such powers.

So why haven't they got those powers?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:And isn't he also due in court soon to answer the Dabo charges?

Looks like there could be three Barton boys in jail soon.
I've no evidence for this but I suspect that there's probably a few more Barton boys locked up than that!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Thank you Hog - as I wrote it, I wondered how quickly someone would react.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

He has actually been convicted of this offence, hasn't he?
entirely disenchanted
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Is it normal to be remanded in custody for affray and common assault?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Is it normal to be remanded in custody for affray and common assault?
In short, no.

In fact, before the rules changed a couple of years back common assault wasn't even an arrestable offence.
Ninja
Baby

Post by Ninja »

I think the key to his incarceration is that he is already on bail for the other two offences. As they are similar (violence related) the magistrates deemed bail unwise.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i laughed out loud when radio 4 reported that the 'fracas' began in a macdonalds. so much for the professional premier footballer's carefully controlled diet...

my sentiments on the story were similar to the rambler's. oh well. i'm sure he's just a soul whose intentions are good...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:Thank you Hog - as I wrote it, I wondered how quickly someone would react.
Doh! But if it hadn't been me I'm sure someone else would!