KC Stadium, January 04

Anything yellow and blue
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

KC Stadium, January 04

Post by Old Abingdonian »

January 04, we went to Hull second on goal difference in Division 4. 0 - 0 at half time, but we were torn apart in the second half to lose a flattering 4 - 2. This was the last time I thought we would be promoted to Division 3, as we were seriously outclassed.

Playing devil's advocate, were the players in that side better than those in our current side - by two divisions, one division, or not at all? Comparing line-ups, and making allowances to try to compare with an Atkins 3 -5 -2:

Woodman / Turley
McNiven / Clarke
McCarthy / Quinn
Crosby / Wilmott
Bound / Foster
Robinson M / Jeannin
Whitehead / Pettifer
Hunt / Trainer
Wanless / Rose
Basham / Odubade
Louis* / Duffy

*actually, on-loan Richie Foran started, but was subbed. Jefferson was part of a typical line-up.

I would contend that the 2004 side had two players who were clearly superior (Crosby &amp Whitehead), and I would give Matt Robinson the edge over Jeannin. However, I would probably favour Turley over Woodman, and Quinn over McCarthy. I don't think I ever saw James Hunt play a convincing game.

My conclusion is that the current players are not the problem - after all, we were more or less happy to see Basham / Zebroski / Hargreaves go in the summer. The issues have been / are team issues: morale, confidence, selection and tactics.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I wasn't at that game. I was, however, at the next away game, in which we lost to Leyton Orient 1-0 giving a performance which would probably have beaten no professional side I have ever seen. We won only three games in the rest of the season, managing, I think, only one draw away from home.
entirely disenchanted
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: KC Stadium, January 04

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:I don't think I ever saw James Hunt play a convincing game.
I seem to remember Hunt starting pretty well, but fading badly as his OUFC career went on.

Anyway, he may have been pants, but to compare him (unfavourably) to Phil Trainer is just ridiculous.

In general, I think your comparison shows how well a poor team overperformed - albeit relativiely briefly - under Atkins, rather than anything else. Much like last season, we rarely played well or really dominated games. We just had a mean defence and a bit of luck.