It wasn't a dream then

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

It wasn't a dream then

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Losing 6-0 away to Liverpool in the 1st division is one thing, conceding 7 in a div 2 game twice, when the club is sevewrely under-resourced is one thing, losing 5-0 in a non-league match when our club has by a long distance, the most resources at its disposal is a different matter entirely.

I'm struggling to think of anything which is acceptable about last night's result.
bringiton
Baby

Re: It wasn't a dream then

Post by bringiton »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Losing 6-0 away to Liverpool in the 1st division is one thing, conceding 7 in a div 2 game twice, when the club is sevewrely under-resourced is one thing, losing 5-0 in a non-league match when our club has by a long distance, the most resources at its disposal is a different matter entirely.

I'm struggling to think of anything which is acceptable about last night's result.
i had the misfortune to watch this match on setanta last night, how the poor people that went and wcthed must feel lord only knows

jims pre-match speech was straight out of a cold-war russian president &quotignore-whats-going-on-the-world&quot speech.

the back four couldnt have played flatter, turned slower , or failed to get a tackle in if they'd tried..

a shocking show
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I had a funny feeling we would win, I should never trust those feelings.

As many have said, appalling. No fight whatsoever, just a demoralised bunch, apart from Rhodes (who we dragged down to our level eventually) and Yemi. I thought Bailey was poor actually, but you can't blame the young loan player for that result. Wilmott and Gilchrist showed why Smith has preferred 5 at the back (that's not a defence of Smith, he signed both these players).

One aspect of last season is that we rarely looked horribly disorganised like we have done regularly this season. For example, Luke Foster player central midfield, right wing and then centre half during last nights game - it's no wonder he gave such a bewildered performance.

Smith really needs to move upstairs with as little fuss as possible and then have very little to do with the playing side of the club, before it gets really unpleasant (which during the games it hasn't been yet), it's one thing for him to fail on his return, it's another for him to be hated and hounded out.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I'm struggling to think of anything which is acceptable about last night's result.
I liked the conga.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I'm struggling to think of anything which is acceptable about last night's result.
If they'd carried on scoring at the rate of the first quarter-hour, it would have been 18-0. Therefore we got better as the game went on.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote: Smith really needs to move upstairs with as little fuss as possible and then have very little to do with the playing side of the club, before it gets really unpleasant (which during the games it hasn't been yet), it's one thing for him to fail on his return, it's another for him to be hated and hounded out.
I think it would be best for all concerned if he were to leave the club completely. The best manager we ever had with a reputation that is now in complete tatters. Did those days in the 80's ever really happen?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I think it would be best for all concerned if he were to leave the club completely. The best manager we ever had with a reputation that is now in complete tatters. Did those days in the 80's ever really happen?
I personally think he could play a good role in a Director of Football role, perhaps better than the manager-in-waiting that some other clubs seem to think the job should be.

The recent loanees show that his little black book is still as good as ever. Granted, we're a Conference club, and we're likely to be sent to odd duffer now and then, but fringe players from top clubs are the best chance we've got to get back into the League. What is needed is the tactical nouse to deploy them to best effect, and this is where Jim seems to be lacking (especially perhaps at Conference level).

If a manager with the tactical nouse to succeed at this level can ask Jim &quotGet me a left-footed fullback&quot, and then such a player turns up and gets used well, we can get back into the playoffs. I agree that the ideal scenario is to promote our own players and youth, to build a strong squad for the future, but another season in the Conference and we're doomed financially.

Let's get a manager who can succeed at this level, let's keep Jim upstairs to give us access to players that our opponents can't, and let's start winning and get ourselves back into the League. Without that, developing youth teams, reserve teams, buying stadia or building fourth stands is just fluff, because we'll be bankrupt before the next season is out.