Stadium

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:The shelf at the back of the east stand was for &quotbusiness seating&quot as part of a bar and restaurant that was supposed to be in the back of the stand. A sort of upmarket supporters club. The sports injury clinic was a much more recent idea of a way to use the east stand void that Kassam came up with.
No doubt you have far more information on this than me, but I'm sure the design included the option for a second tier.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:The shelf at the back of the east stand was for &quotbusiness seating&quot as part of a bar and restaurant that was supposed to be in the back of the stand. A sort of upmarket supporters club. The sports injury clinic was a much more recent idea of a way to use the east stand void that Kassam came up with.
No doubt you have far more information on this than me, but I'm sure the design included the option for a second tier.
Yes, Mally has far more of an insight on that issue than you do, Terry - but just how much of a waste of Martin’s server space is this discussion about future capacity (even in the close season) given the level of Season Ticket sales so far?

/

There is no doubt in my mind that we’ll have a ‘name’ or two brought into the squad between now and July 6th (the deadline for discounted ST purchase) but I think the Kassam Stadium will still look and feel (and will be) half-empty at Blue Square Premier League level next year at nearly every game, at best.

It’s fine to bring this topic up again if and when we get promoted and have the chance to test ourselves against the likes of Macclesfield Town and Accrington Stanley in League II when it comes to the crunch in May 2009 (at best), but until that happens it’s just not worth the bother of discussing it.

It worries me slightly that so many of our fans like going away to these ‘quaint and friendly non-league grounds’ we visited last season, so we may as well give up all hope on any ambitions to climb up the League Pyramid and go and ground share at Court Place Farm, just to keep those people happy.

Oxfordshire has no first class county Cricket team, no Horse Racing circuit, no top league Rugby team (of either code) and now we can’t even muster a football team in the top four divisions of the footballing hierarchy.

No wonder Tiger Tim becomes a local hero at this time of year.

/

This thread about OxVox on TiU has now stopped, pending Trevor’s input.

http://www.oxfordshireforums.co.uk/topi ... C_ID=64506
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotIt worries me slightly that so many of our fans like going away to these ‘quaint and friendly non-league grounds’ we visited last season, so we may as well give up all hope on any ambitions to climb up the League Pyramid and go and ground share at Court Place Farm, just to keep those people happy.

Oxfordshire has no first class county Cricket team, no Horse Racing circuit, no top league Rugby team (of either code) and now we can’t even muster a football team in the top four divisions of the footballing hierarchy.

No wonder Tiger Tim becomes a local hero at this time of year.

/

This thread about OxVox on TiU has now stopped, pending Trevor’s input.

http://www.oxfordshireforums.co.uk/topi ... C_ID=64506[/quote]

You didn't mention the speedway.

Perhaps some of us &quotlike&quot going to these quaint (&amp not so quaint) &amp to be truthful some sh**holes&quot because that is what we were (&amp are) faced with - we have no choice. Best to put on a brave face and all that. Second time around will be different as has been said many a time, although there will be new quaint &amp very tiny grounds to attend - Histon, Farsley Celtic, Droylsden. I would wager a bet that 99% of Oxford fans would rather be visiting Wycombe, Macclesfield, Lincoln, MK Dons (spit spit spit) etc etc during the coming campaign.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotSnake&quot wrote:but just how much of a waste of Martin’s server space is this discussion about future capacity (even in the close season) given the level of Season Ticket sales so far?
I think its called close season boredom syndrome.
OUFC_Gav
Toddler

Re:

Post by OUFC_Gav »

None of the plans or drawings I have seen have shown any hint of a 2nd tier - that's of course not to say it was never mentioned.
The only times I've ever heard a 2nd tier mentioned is by TIU'ites trying to explain the area at the back of the East Stand, or why the North stand is shorter and has a more shallow rake than the others.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:but just how much of a waste of Martin’s server space is this discussion about future capacity (even in the close season) given the level of Season Ticket sales so far?
I think its called close season boredom syndrome.
That's probably a good name for it. I only raised the subject as I was having the discussion with a mate and neither of us knew. I think the point of our, admittedly drunk, conversation was that were we ever to rise up the leagues and have need for a large stadium how big could we actually get it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:
None of the plans or drawings I have seen have shown any hint of a 2nd tier - that's of course not to say it was never mentioned.
The only times I've ever heard a 2nd tier mentioned is by TIU'ites trying to explain the area at the back of the East Stand, or why the North stand is shorter and has a more shallow rake than the others.
Well maybe its just one of those comments that was made at the time of planning which has outgrown its status then.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotOUFC_Gav&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote: No doubt you have far more information on this than me, but I'm sure the design included the option for a second tier.
Well maybe its just one of those comments that was made at the time of planning which has outgrown its status then.
From memory (and this is almost a decade ago!) what I think Cox said at the time is the stadium will have a 15,000 capacity but with the option to extend this to 23000 (I think) by filling in the corners and the back of the stands. He never really expanded on this and explained what he meant though. However as its a long time before we are even going to need 15000 and we only have planning permission for that many its a fairly academic argument now.