Squad Status

Anything yellow and blue
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Its only a 1 year deal, surely that negates the &quotplaying for a contract&quot argument to a degree.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Time for an update on the first posting - Foster signs!
I'll wait a couple of days and post the same thing on a new thread, just to be consistent with my previous efforts. :oops:
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Status page updated.

We now have a squad of 14 players. No need to panic just yet but the first pre-season game is just over 3 weeks away. I think I'll start worying if we don't have any new midfield players or full backs signed by next Friday.

By the way I renewed my season ticket yesterday - Number 1362.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

So, do we know anything of what is on the table for some of last season's loan players? Today's Oxford Mail says we are still hopeful of signing Corcoran. What of Zebroski? And I guess Danny Rose is out of our league (soon to be literally) now?
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Millwall have announced that Zebroski will be loaned out from the start of the new season. Torquay, Hereford and Cheltenham and ourselves are said to be interested in taking him on loan.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Torquay seem to be pretty quick to sign players. Do they have some kind of 'parachute' funding dispensation, or is it the club's charisma that attracts these new players?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotOld Abingdonian&quot wrote:Torquay seem to be pretty quick to sign players. Do they have some kind of 'parachute' funding dispensation, or is it the club's charisma that attracts these new players?
Torquay had a distinct shortage of contracted players so hence the activity.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Zebroski will be loaned out from the start of the new season.
For how long - if it is only short term is he worth bothering with ?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Although I like Zebroski, I feel that one our biggest problems has been a lack of a consistent strike partnership (look what happened around December last year). I think it should be a season long deal or not at all.

There have been far too many seasons when we get to Christmas and we still don't know what our best team and line-up is. I don't think that was the case even when we were top of the league last season although Bash getting injured was a factor.

Let's get 2/3 getting used to playing together early doors that we know are going to be around all season so that they form an understanding for when we have to grind out results mid-winter.

Problem now is that Yemi has Duffer and Marv - oh dear. Oh well, at least give Duffer and Yemi say 10 games before starting with Marv / Yemi (Duffer wil probably be suspended by then). That's unless we sign a better striker permanently in time for Yemi to get used to playing alongside him pre-season.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote: Problem now is that Yemi has Duffer and Marv - oh dear. Oh well, at least give Duffer and Yemi say 10 games before starting with Marv / Yemi (Duffer wil probably be suspended by then). That's unless we sign a better striker permanently in time for Yemi to get used to playing alongside him pre-season.
Of course, another scenario is Yemi gets injured early in the season, meaning Duff-Marv...
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:Zebroski will be loaned out from the start of the new season.
For how long - if it is only short term is he worth bothering with ?
I think Milwall want to negotiate a season long loan so its like signing him on a one year contract.
neilw
Puberty

Re:

Post by neilw »

&quotI think Milwall want to negotiate a season long loan so its like signing him on a one year contract&quot

But I think he's only got another year left on his contract at Millwall, so that wouldn't quite stack up.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:&quotI think Milwall want to negotiate a season long loan so its like signing him on a one year contract&quot

But I think he's only got another year left on his contract at Millwall, so that wouldn't quite stack up.
Having looked at it again you are probably right and its not a season loan but it could be quite long term as he doesn't look like he's required in their first team.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Gary Twigg is travelling down from Scotland for contract talks with the club on Monday. The Airdie payer scored 12 goals from midfield last season and can also pay up front. He used to play under Jim Smith at Derby.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:scored 12 goals from midfield last season and can also pay up front.
Blimey I knew we were doing things on the cheap now but I didn't know it was that bad.
entirely disenchanted