Squad Status

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMooro&quot wrote: Will be glad if FosL does sign, but I do have a slight worry that our potential players cannot afford to join the AA to ensure they get to important appointments on time (or at least the same day).
Has FosL still not got his car fixed?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Chris Hargreaves has signed for Torquay, where he can recreate his creative midfield partnership with Lee Mansell. I fully expect to see the Gulls' odds for promotion to lengthen dramatically.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote: Will be glad if FosL does sign, but I do have a slight worry that our potential players cannot afford to join the AA to ensure they get to important appointments on time (or at least the same day).
Has FosL still not got his car fixed?
Let's hope it was his car: I thought the report said He broke down.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Oxford Mail reports we may be close to signing both Corcoran and Coombes from Cardiff. Coombes would be odd - I quite liked what I saw of him, even if brief, but didn't seem like Jim rated him, as he hardly played him.

Still no news on Foster, it seems. Can someone please fix his car?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i don't know anything about cars, but i have a spare bike if he wants to borrow it.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:Oxford Mail reports we may be close to signing both Corcoran and Coombes from Cardiff. Coombes would be odd - I quite liked what I saw of him, even if brief, but didn't seem like Jim rated him, as he hardly played him.

The Oxford Mail article says that Foster has signed his contract. Don't know if that's them jumping the gun or not, but as far as I know there's been no official confirmation of it (and I won't believe it until there is, even if he turns out for us next season).
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotJimski&quot wrote:Oxford Mail reports we may be close to signing both Corcoran and Coombes from Cardiff. Coombes would be odd - I quite liked what I saw of him, even if brief, but didn't seem like Jim rated him, as he hardly played him.

The Oxford Mail article says that Foster has signed his contract. Don't know if that's them jumping the gun or not, but as far as I know there's been no official confirmation of it (and I won't believe it until there is, even if he turns out for us next season).
I wonder if that is the usual lazy re-hashing of old stories to fill space?

I would have thought that if the Mail new about FosL, the official site would have reported it first if it was true.

Good news if we sign Corcoran.

Not so keen on what little we saw of Coombes.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Ah yes, they have updated that article since last I read it - or else it differs from the copy on TIU.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I saw Coombs in the Rushden TV game and a couple of reserve games &amp at no time did he look any better than those around him.

If we've got the money to take him, then I'd have thought it better spent on keeping one (or two) of our own kids who a) were no worse and b) would probably be on a lower wage...
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

There is always a debate about who is good, who isn't, who should be signed etc. However, judgement can't really be made without considering the other key factor, which is of course cost. Is a player good value for money?

So, whilst not being overly impressed by Coombes, I'd suggested that if he can be signed for a relatively small salary it may well turn out be a very good deal (contribution / cost ) for us.

Alternatively, we may need to sign him, even if he's shite, in order to encourage his mate, MC, to join and keep him company.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotneilw&quot wrote: Alternatively, we may need to sign him, even if he's shite, in order to encourage his mate, MC, to join and keep him company.
yeah, I was wondering if perhaps they've got the same agent, who said &quotif you want Corky, then you've got to take Coombsey too, cos no other bugger will.&quot Or words to that effect.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:There is always a debate about who is good, who isn't, who should be signed etc. However, judgement can't really be made without considering the other key factor, which is of course cost. Is a player good value for money?

So, whilst not being overly impressed by Coombes, I'd suggested that if he can be signed for a relatively small salary it may well turn out be a very good deal (contribution / cost ) for us.

Alternatively, we may need to sign him, even if he's shite, in order to encourage his mate, MC, to join and keep him company.
I fear the MC factor may be involved in this (and if so, I'd just about be OK with it), but it was that very VFM factor that I was thinking of - as anyone coming in will almost certainly get paid more than anyone home grown, so Gunny would have been better VFM than Coombes in my book.

Then again, we could all also be at the whim of more lazy journalism somewhere between here and south wales which trundles along the lines of: they were there on loan last year, they are now OOC, therefore that club are now going to be interested....
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Time for an update on the first posting - Foster signs!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Brilliant! good signing. Of course now he isn't playing for a contract, he'll probably turn to shit!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Brilliant! good signing. Of course now he isn't playing for a contract, he'll probably turn to shit!
Great! another potential Jon Ashton. expect penalties against to increase dramatically!