Just relegate us now...

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:
On current form we are not relegation candidates - Lincoln and Barnet are. Surely you'd agree that 15 games gives a more accurate indication of a likely season performance than does two games? On current form, we are 15th, and 5 points clear of relegation. On current form, we shall finish 15th and approximately 15 points clear of the drop. Having said that, I know fine well what Mark Twain had to say on the matter.

This is not to say that I am happy with current events, and it is not to say that I don't agree that Wilder should make changes, because I most certainly do. And I can't dispute most of those changes being suggested, especially to the captaincy and to 2010's Martin Gray. There are goals in this team, of that I've no doubt, and the defence is in theory solid enough. But totally concur that those who are out of form need to be given the chance to find themselves in the Magoos.

I would also refute that 'we are a squad of mainly non-league players' (can't remember if I read that on this site or on the Mail) because that is just a figment. Does a ManUre youth team player become a 'non-league player' whilst on a month's loan to Altricham, or is he still a top-flight player? Fiction.

The reason that I pursue this thread - to insist that relegation has not crossed my mind, nor should it. This is our bad run, and there may be another to come. There will be good runs too. We are not bad enough to contemplate the drop - that is not to say we should settle for obscurity and should not strive to be better.
Accepted - for some reason last 6 games is usually considered to be a good indication of current form. We've picked up 6 pts, Lincoln 4 &amp Barnet 3. Presumably they are having their bad patch now too.

Another way of looking at it - a point a game ain't enough though.

A quick rough calculation of points picked up from the last 6 games
Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

Who are the relegation candidates now?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:It's as if Wilder's completely forgotten how he so nearly fucked up last season.

Which given his rather cocksure personality, he probably has.

I'd love to know what the mood in the squad is, especially amongst those who rescued the situation last year.

I also wish KT would have the balls to tell Wider to work with what he's got squad wise and stop the bloody tinkering/rebuilding/completely overhauling.
From what I know about KT (which is relatively not all that much) he has more balls than most blokes have. Not as literally bad as this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyorchidism ) but a rock and a highly significant cornerstone in our progress Up The Football League, even if that takes a while when Wilder and IL fiddle around trying to get things right.

/

Barnet are going down, end of, and we’re still going to finish this season in 7th place. Happy to eat my Hat if those two events don’t happen.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
On current form we are not relegation candidates - Lincoln and Barnet are. Surely you'd agree that 15 games gives a more accurate indication of a likely season performance than does two games? On current form, we are 15th, and 5 points clear of relegation. On current form, we shall finish 15th and approximately 15 points clear of the drop. Having said that, I know fine well what Mark Twain had to say on the matter.

This is not to say that I am happy with current events, and it is not to say that I don't agree that Wilder should make changes, because I most certainly do. And I can't dispute most of those changes being suggested, especially to the captaincy and to 2010's Martin Gray. There are goals in this team, of that I've no doubt, and the defence is in theory solid enough. But totally concur that those who are out of form need to be given the chance to find themselves in the Magoos.

I would also refute that 'we are a squad of mainly non-league players' (can't remember if I read that on this site or on the Mail) because that is just a figment. Does a ManUre youth team player become a 'non-league player' whilst on a month's loan to Altricham, or is he still a top-flight player? Fiction.

The reason that I pursue this thread - to insist that relegation has not crossed my mind, nor should it. This is our bad run, and there may be another to come. There will be good runs too. We are not bad enough to contemplate the drop - that is not to say we should settle for obscurity and should not strive to be better.
Accepted - for some reason last 6 games is usually considered to be a good indication of current form. We've picked up 6 pts, Lincoln 4 &amp Barnet 3. Presumably they are having their bad patch now too.

Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

Currently - Hereford and Barnet.

It says so in the League table (of the points picked up in the last 18 games).

We ARE gonna end this run and get back on track, I am most concerned in those fans that don't believe this is so.

Again, I reiterate that I agree that change can be good and I am not pleased by the slump, but nor can I see where eternal pessism will get us.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by YF Dan »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Accepted - for some reason last 6 games is usually considered to be a good indication of current form. We've picked up 6 pts, Lincoln 4 &amp Barnet 3. Presumably they are having their bad patch now too.

Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

We ARE gonna end this run and get back on track, I am most concerned in those fans that don't believe this is so.

Again, I reiterate that I agree that change can be good and I am not pleased by the slump, but nor can I see where eternal pessism will get us.
Is eternal pessimism the man who dismantles a winning team over the space of a few months, or those who voice complaints when he does so?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: Accepted - for some reason last 6 games is usually considered to be a good indication of current form. We've picked up 6 pts, Lincoln 4 &amp Barnet 3. Presumably they are having their bad patch now too.

Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

Could it possibly be that it is not eternal pessimism, but realism?

You originally said on CURRENT form we are not relegation candidates.
Now we are relegation candidates on current form you say CURRENTLY (quoting all 18 (16 I think it should be) games) Hereford and Barnet are relegation candidates. Make your mind up.

I have not given this season up by any means but what I have seen in recent weeks has caused me increasing concern game by game.

Played 16, pts 17 goals, scored 17. (Could be wrong, Soccerbase is not always trustworthy)
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Your point is entirely valid, but I think mine is too.

We need to start winning football matches - that much is beyond dispute. What's more, I am forever plastering myself all over the Oxford Mail forum criticising those who promote blind faith, that all criticism is misplaced and should be shot down in flames - Napoleon is always right, so to speak.

I think Chris Wilder is genuine, capable, and whilst he may not always give the impression of 'listening to fans' per se, he does appear to have at least acted upon some shared concerns and been proactive.

I STILL think this is a temporary slump and that we have the personnel to play in various manners for various situations, I think we'll beat some other sides well, we'll nick some wins we don't deserve, we'll accrue some points - and we may have another lousy run before the season is out. Pessimism, realism - what odds? There isn't actually very much we can do about the practical side of things save for comment and choose to give our hard-earned to the club, or otherwise. We'll stay up, of that I'm sure - we may not especially enjoy the ride, but I for one don't want any more grey hairs than are strictly necessary.

If the season ended today, I think we'd all consider it a disappointing pass - perhaps a C plus.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

If the season ended today, I think we'd all consider it a disappointing pass - perhaps a C plus.
Couldn't disagree with a pass (staying up) but my marking is probably harsher than yours. I'd go C at best or possibly C minus for the League exam.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Barnet are going down, end of, and we’re still going to finish this season in 7th place. Happy to eat my Hat if those two events don’t happen.
i always get nervous when you issue these statements, ever since you assured Us we were going to have a party at the racecourse in 2006...
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

That is really, really quite worrying
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:

Oxford 3
Barnet 4
Gills 5
Northampton 7
Lincoln 8
Hereford 10

That is really, really quite worrying
Does that make Saturday's game a 'six-pointer'? I hope not, as we ALWAYS lose to teams on massive winless runs. Defeat to Gillingham would be pretty bad, though, as I can't see us getting anything at Chesterfield the following Tuesday.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The symptoms are fairly obvious, failing to convert chances, and leaking too many at the other end.

I think it's not so much the personnel, or even the 'tactics' but the flexibility to react to smarter, better opposition and management. That's where a good captain like Wotton should help. I presume he's staying in January.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“Is eternal pessimism the man who dismantles a winning team over the space of a few months, or those who voice complaints when he does so?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

No point marking on if the season ended today. It doesn't end today, so marking today is meaningless. You don't write off a kid who struggles in a mock exam after the first year of a 2 year GCSE course.

We need to improve, and I am confident that we will.

A little better organisation at the back, a little more adventurous in front of goal and losing very quickly becomes winning. It's a fine line.

Wilder is a good manager. He will know what is wrong and how to put it right. He changed us from being a losing Conference side into a winning Conference side very quickly, and I have faith he will do so again in this division.

I believe we will finish as a top 10 team at least, but don't expect the journey to be a smooth one.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:No point marking on if the season ended today. It doesn't end today, so marking today is meaningless. You don't write off a kid who struggles in a mock exam after the first year of a 2 year GCSE course.
I concur with and echo all of your sentiments, but would just develop the idea further (given that it was myself that first mentioned marking the season if it ended now) - you most certainly don't mark a season based on three straight defeats only. And that's entirely the point!

Completely agree, despite three poor defeats, we are actually not far short of being a good team capable of five straight wins. Not just the adventure and organisation, but a smidge of luck too should see to that! I too am right behind Wilder, just hoping that once we become a winning team again, he doesn't see fit to make further alterations.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Loving your optimism chaps, I wonder what the tone will be should we lose at home to a Gillingham side that hasn't won away for 34 games.